Passan’s FA tiers

Sports Guy

4 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Its behind a paywall.  Can you give us a brief rundown?

Not much to say.

Just names a bunch of players and puts them into tiers.

If there is anyone specific, I can let you know.

Whats interesting to me about a list like this is that Passan is a National guy and one of the best.  He’s likely talking to a lot of people when making this list.   He even states for Brandon Nimmo That he would put him in tier 2.

A guy that is very intriguing to me…

Koudai Senga, RHSP: Teams have long awaited the day Senga comes to MLB, and with his free agency finally a reality, if he chooses to do so, he'll be one of the most popular players this winter. His stuff is unimpeachable: a fastball that hit 101.9 mph earlier this year and a split-fingered fastball that moves as if possessed. At 6-1, 200 pounds, Senga isn't necessarily imposing, but his numbers this season -- 124 innings, 89 hits, 40 walks, 137 strikeouts, seven home runs allowed, 2.03 ERA -- certainly qualify.

• Upvote 1

Plenty to pick from.  I would target:

Verlander (depending on the years but I think he's probably good for another 2-3), Rodon, Bassitt , Nimmo (if we trade Mullins, this could be a CF) Kershaw, Eovaldi, Cueto (should have gone after him this year), David Robertson, Robert Suarez

IMO, we should be able to pick up two rotation pieces in free agency.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I would not be shocked if we went for a big 1B/DH bat. Jose Abreu would be a guy. Maybe Belt, or whatever lefty best fits opposite Mountcastle.

I'm not that interested in Abreu he's going to be 36 years old next season even though he's been a very productive hitter. 

It would have to be a short term deal . It might make sense to trade Mountcastle or Santander if Abreu is added to keep flexibility for different players to rotate in the DH spot. 

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/japanese-star-pitcher-kodai-senga-expected-to-consider-mlb-offers-this-offseason-per-report/amp/

Senga doesn’t need to be posted.

He is 30 in January.  He still throws hard and apparently has great secondary stuff.

K rate is 10.  Low Hr rate.  Walk rate is 3.4 in his career.  Maybe something to watch with his numbers there.

Definitely an intriguing name although you don’t expect the Os to be a destination for him.

8 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'm not that interested in Abreu he's going to be 36 years old next season even though he's been a very productive hitter. 

It would have to be a short term deal . It might make sense to trade Mountcastle or Santander if Abreu is added to keep flexibility for different players to rotate in the DH spot. 

I'd pass on Abreu.  He's going to be "36 years old" if you get my drift.  And while I know that cliche has been apparently put to bed, I still believe it from time to time and he's a guy that I wouldn't be surprised if he really wasn't 36.

He also doesn't really seem to fit the profile of what Elias is trying to do, he doesn't walk a lot and there's no positional flexibility there.  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/japanese-star-pitcher-kodai-senga-expected-to-consider-mlb-offers-this-offseason-per-report/amp/

Senga doesn’t need to be posted.

He is 30 in January.  He still throws hard and apparently has great secondary stuff.

K rate is 10.  Low Hr rate.  Walk rate is 3.4 in his career.  Maybe something to watch with his numbers there.

Definitely an intriguing name although you don’t expect the Os to be a destination for him.

Seems to me that the stars from Asia usually wind up on the west coast teams or NY/Boston.  I don't expect the Orioles to be a destination for him but you never know.