Orioles intend to sign lease

Going Underground

3 hours ago, Gurgi said:

I think he was cash poor and was hoping for a sale of the Orioles to cash in.   Instead his mother and brother are holding out on selling till Peter is dead.   I think Lou is trying to force their hands.  

Lou is probably "cash poor" as John controls the MLB team and the real estate assets of the family. Absent Pa, the law firm's only partner, they likely are living off declining residuals and losing money. Can Lou be a bread winner like PA? That is the unknown. John and Georgia want the law firm closed, saying that's what PA wanted after he passed. Lou maintains PA would have supported those long-term lawyers who were loyal to him. Given PA's history of loyalty to the Stockstills, Brady, Buck it is plausible Lou is right and John just wants to stop supporting the law firm financially

2 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Lou is probably "cash poor" as John controls the MLB team and the real estate assets of the family. Absent Pa, the law firm's only partner, they likely are living off declining residuals and losing money. Can Lou be a bread winner like PA? That is the unknown. John and Georgia want the law firm closed, saying that's what PA wanted after he passed. Lou maintains PA would have supported those long-term lawyers who were loyal to him. Given PA's history of loyalty to the Stockstills, Brady, Buck it is plausible Lou is right and John just wants to stop supporting the law firm financially

If the Firm's future outlook is untenable shutter it and give generous termination packages.

Don't pay guys to shuffle papers.

IF the law firm is untenable, logically that would be the path. Lou's actions indicate he believes there might be a future for the firm. Maybe they hire more partners that can bring in business, Lou gets to manage. I have no idea what is real or even plausible at this point. I don't trust John to control all the marbles, he could just take them and go home (to TN).

3 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

IF the law firm is untenable, logically that would be the path. Lou's actions indicate he believes there might be a future for the firm. Maybe they hire more partners that can bring in business, Lou gets to manage. I have no idea what is real or even plausible at this point. I don't trust John to control all the marbles, he could just take them and go home (to TN).

They running Camp Lejeune ads up there?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

L

20 hours ago, Pickles said:

I like the doubling down of the "investment" in Camden.  The stadium was supposed to bring a massive economic boon to the city.  It didn't.  No problem.  Just spend more money and make the stadium a "year round live/work/play/entertainment destination."  That will solve it.

Did it not bring a boon to the city when it was built?  I don’t live in Baltimore or its suburbs, but it seems to me that the Stadium and the Harbor area were absolutely booming for about 15+ years. I couldn’t tell you if the declining fortunes of the team (and resultant declining attendance) was a big cause of declining business in the Harbor area and the corridor from there to the stadium, or whether that was mostly other factors like the 2015 riots, COVID, crime worries and other factors.   But as an outsider, I wouldn’t say that the building of OPACY didn’t have the desired effect. I’d say the effect dissipated over a long period of time.   But again, I don’t really live around there so I don’t really know.  

Now, I will say this.  I’ve probably been to OPACY 250-300 times in its 30-year history.  The number of times I’ve done something near the stadium before or after the game is certainly under ten times.   But I suspect there are plenty of people who’ve done those things more than I have. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

L

Did it not bring a boon to the city when it was built?  I don’t live in Baltimore or its suburbs, but it seems to me that the Stadium and the Harbor area were absolutely booming for about 15+ years. I couldn’t tell you if the declining fortunes of the team (and resultant declining attendance) was a big cause of declining business in the Harbor area and the corridor from there to the stadium, or whether that was mostly other factors like the 2015 riots, COVID, crime worries and other factors.   But as an outsider, I wouldn’t say that the building of OPACY didn’t have the desired effect. I’d say the effect dissipated over a long period of time.   But again, I don’t really live around there so I don’t really know.  

Now, I will say this.  I’ve probably been to OPACY 250-300 times in its 30-year history.  The number of times I’ve done something near the stadium before or after the game is certainly under ten times.   But I suspect there are plenty of people who’ve done those things more than I have. 

Hopefully the $600 million helps the city.It is the second most public financing ever given to a MLB stadium besides Yankee stadium  The most public financing ever given to renovate a baseball stadium. Who knows if they will use it all and over how many years.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

L

I think it's been pretty well established that publicly financed stadiums are a pretty rotten deal for the city/tax payer.  This will put a lot of money in the Angelos' pockets.  This will put even more money in the  pockets of degenerate and corrupt government officials who get to pick and choose where it flows to.  This will allow ball players to get extravagant salaries that far outstrip their actual free market value.

But it won't do a thing for anybody living in West Baltimore.  They'll still be living in the third world as someone else accurately referenced it.  And it won't do anything for the taxpayer either, except increase their taxes and devalue their currency.

12 hours ago, survivedc said:

The city should be able to walk and chew gum at the same time. Make the city more liveable and fun and improve the standard city services.

The city can't walk or chew gum.  Period.  Let alone at the same time.  Look at it.

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

The city can't walk or chew gum.  Period.  Let alone at the same time.  Look at it.

I live in it, I work in it and I hear ya. But it’s wrong to say/insinuate that because there are other problems you can’t also try and make separate progress in different sectors.

• 3 months later...