Correa opts out…should the Os pursue him?

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's very tone deaf.  It's basically, "I'm awesome, everyone wants me, if the Twins want in on the bidding they'll need to make an offer that I'm cool with."  But I suppose that's what you'd expect out of someone who signs a $100M+ contract and almost immediately ops out to try to get more money.

It's just one out-of-context statement, but that would make me less likely to want to give him hundreds of millions of dollars and shuffle/trade a bunch of current players to accommodate him.  And I wasn't in favor of that in the first place.

90% of these guys have a sense of entitlement that is difficult for a mature adult to understand.

Remember how entitled and clueless you were when you were 17?  Now imagine someone handed that 17 year millions of dollars, and they spent the next ten years being told how amazing they were.  That's what most of the pro athletes are, at least the ones like Correa, the prodigies.

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

90% of these guys have a sense of entitlement that is difficult for a mature adult to understand.

Remember how entitled and clueless you were when you were 17?  Now imagine someone handed that 17 year millions of dollars, and they spent the next ten years being told how amazing they were.  That's what most of the pro athletes are, at least the ones like Correa, the prodigies.

Oh, I understand.  But he's also 27 or 28.  He's not 17.  He been doing this gig for a long time, and he still appears to be very narcissistic and unaware (or just doesn't care) how he sounds to people who haven't been put on a pedestal their whole lives.  Instead of "I'm lucky to be where I am" it's instead "of course I'm worth more than Luxembourg."

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Oh, I understand.  But he's also 27 or 28.  He's not 17.  He been doing this gig for a long time, and he still appears to be very narcissistic and unaware (or just doesn't care) how he sounds to people who haven't been put on a pedestal their whole lives.  Instead of "I'm lucky to be where I am" it's instead "of course I'm worth more than Luxembourg."

I guess that's kind of my point: He's 27 or 28, but he's stunted with the emotional maturity of a 15 year old and will be for a long time most likely.  It's kind of funny but it brings up an interesting question: What's more off-putting?  The athletic diva with the "Aww, shucks, I'm just lucky to be here" facade that completely hides their narcissism, or the athletic diva who leans into it and embraces their narcissism, like Kobe Bryant?  Who exactly is the bigger sociopath?

17 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I guess that's kind of my point: He's 27 or 28, but he's stunted with the emotional maturity of a 15 year old and will be for a long time most likely.  It's kind of funny but it brings up an interesting question: What's more off-putting?  The athletic diva with the "Aww, shucks, I'm just lucky to be here" facade that completely hides their narcissism, or the athletic diva who leans into it and embraces their narcissism, like Kobe Bryant?  Who exactly is the bigger sociopath?

Well, I’m not ready to declare Correa a sociopath.   His comment just rubbed me the wrong way.  And the fact that he didn’t get a long term contract last winter suggests that he may have an inflated idea of what teams are willing to pay at the Correa store.   

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, I’m not ready to declare Correa a sociopath.   His comment just rubbed me the wrong way.  And the fact that he didn’t get a long term contract last winter suggests that he may have an inflated idea of what teams are willing to pay at the Correa store.   

Reminds me of Manny lol 

26 minutes ago, Pickles said:

The only way you love these kind of players is if they play for your team .. otherwise they generate a lot of negative energy from other fan bases .. lol But it is all fantasy stuff 

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I did not find the comment irritating.   Just a ballplayer trying to make a clever analogy.   No biggie.   I've read a lot more irritating things than that but I guess it depends on my mood at the time.   He's basically saying "I like it here but no hometown discount".

Edited by RZNJ

17 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

The reality is we would all do exactly that .. take the money .. who really wants to play in Minnesota anyway lol ? 

It's beautiful in the spring-fall time frame.  From a weather perspective, I'd rather play in MN than Texas or Atlanta.  Then go anywhere else in the winter!

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

I'd rather have the guy who isn't a sociopath at all.  I don't think that every pro athlete who appears to be a decent, regular person is actually a sociopath in disguise.  I'd hope most of them are decent people.

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s saying if you want quality, you pay for quality.

I always find it amusing that people want their athletes to be honest and then when they are, people get upset about it.

Nothing wrong with what he said.  

I want them to be both honest and decent people.  I suppose I'd rather have an honest jackass than a dishonest one, but I'd rather have a guy who's not a jackass at all.