O's and Uehara agree to deal

Os84

I doubt they will put Uehara in the bullpen. For one thing, we have 3 late inning relievers already - what we don't have are 5 starters. So if we wanted to use Uehara as a reliever, we would probably end up converting Jim Johnson back to a starter or something - and I don't think Trembley wants to do that.

I don't think Trembley wants that either. The question is: Is Uehara healthy enough to pitch every 5 days when he struggled to do so every 6 days in Japan a year ago?

To many good arms in the back of the bullpen is a good problem to have, and one that the Orioles have not had to deal with for some time. I just question how well he'll hold up pitching every 5 days.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think Trembley wants that either. The question is: Is Uehara healthy enough to pitch every 5 days when he struggled to do so every 6 days in Japan a year ago?

To many good arms in the back of the bullpen is a good problem to have, and one that the Orioles have not had to deal with for some time. I just question how well he'll hold up pitching every 5 days.

Well he's had two years of light work. It's rumored he was kind of forced into a bullpen role as discplinary action.

I wonder how the catcher from Japan (name?) is compared to Johjima the catcher from Seattle. I have read that the Mariners soured on him as he was very stubborn at adjusting his game calling to the Major Leagues. Were the Orioles to sign him, if he would succumb to a similar fate?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=6458

I don't think that the fact that one Japanese catcher was stubborn in adjusting his game calling (if true) has any bearing on whether another Japanese catcher would be similarly stubborn. If you look at how Japanese players have fared in the U.S., it's all over the lot. They are all individuals and some adjust better than others.

What's the point of having 3 or 4 great relievers in the bullpen if they never have close games to enter? If the O's front office believes Uehara will be effective as a starter and a reliever, they will put him in the rotation. Sure, if we get to May and he's having problems starting every 5 days, then we can send him to the bullpen, but that's not something we should do to begin with.

Well he's had two years of light work. It's rumored he was kind of forced into a bullpen role as discplinary action.

I believe it was for wanting to pitch in the Majors, but can't find the article. Being sent to the minors is something more than disciplinary I would think though.

The fact that he is a better option (and clearly he is) than Redding or Byrd does not make him a great option, at least for 2 yrs.

If you were not going to sign the difference making talent to actually ascend in 2009, the most to be gained during 2009 is as much extensive time as possible to the players that can comprise your future core... regardless of whether he succeeds for not (and I think there is reason to believe he will) that does make it a good move.

It makes it a good move if he succeeds because I think there should be one more starter brought in, someone with great control is a big bonus, and he can be traded for a prospect or two or turned into draft picks if he pitches well.

I don't want Hendrickson to start over a young guy, so if that happens, I will be upset, but Guthrie, Uehara, and 3 young guys makes sense to me.

But it depends on how good Uehera is..If we feel he's a #2 or #3 then he's worth it obviously, but he's going to pitch like a Looper or Redding then it's not. There's probably a 50/50 chance on those odds IMO, especially in the rotation. If he's in the bullpen, he's overpaid no matter what role he's in.

We dont even know the terms of his contract yet, So how can you say that?

No particular reason, but his last 2 years in Japan look strangely ominous to me. I hope I'm wrong, but I have a gut feeling that this guy gets lit up like fireworks on the 4th of July, and when Uehara is on the mound I think the O's defense will need very big gloves.

Archived