O's and Uehara agree to deal

Os84

Not really for giving money to a 34 year old pitcher for 2 years (hopefully not 3) when we aren't contending in either year, but it's better than giving it to Looper and Redding, and opening the door in Japan is a gigantic plus.

This isn't anything to get extremly excited about, but just the fact that it gives us options overseas is a big plus that is likely a big factor in this signing.

I sure hope that this means Hendrickson will not be guaranteed a spot.

Exactly. I would rather give this guy a slightly bad contract than any of the less-than-middling-arms out there the same thing.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uehara's projection as a reliever here.

Next season: 50 IP, 49 H, 11 BB, 47 K, 5 HR, 3.42 ERA, 3.28 fielding independent ERA

According to his peripherals, this projection makes him look like Joakim Soria with better control... obviously it's hard to say how this translates into a starting pitcher.

I wonder if he will stick in the rotation or end up in the bullpen. He is a big control guy, but has had trouble staying in healthy.

I also wonder if Kawakami will be more inclined to join the team now.

It would kind of make sense to sign the Japanese catcher and start the season with him and Moeller. Then you promote Wieters mid-season.

Plus pick up Kawakami for 2 years.

Archived