O's and Uehara agree to deal

Os84

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Sun is saying 2 year "as much as 16 mil." I couldn't get the link to post. Help?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-orioles0106,0,2908949.story

Japanese right-hander Koji Uehara has agreed to a two-year, $10 million, incentive-laden deal pending a physical, which could take place later this week in Baltimore, several industry sources confirmed.

Uehara, who turns 34 in April, will become the first Japan native to play for the Orioles, the last team in the American League East to tap into the Asian market.

His contract could be worth as much as $16 million over two years if the eight-time Japanese all-star meets certain performance bonuses and escalating clauses such as starts made and innings pitched. There is also a games-finished clause included for Uehara, who was an all-star closer in 2007 for the Yomiuri Giants, but the Orioles view him almost exclusively as a starter.

Good signing all around here. Uehara was seen as a Japanese Greg Maddux a few years ago. The Orioles are covering their bases though if they want to put him in the pen and deal Ray or Sherrill...

Here's a very interesting comment at the end of the most recent update fo this deal.

But the immediate priority is expected to switch to catcher -- with the club looking at former Oriole Gregg Zaun and likely Hall of Famer Ivan Rodriguez -- and a right-handed hitting first baseman.

Who besides Wiggington is a righthanded hitting first baseman whose name is not Kevin Millar.

Another Pudge Rodriguez reference. He WOULD be a nice addition, even for two years.

I really don't want to see Pudge here. He was just awful last year with the MFY's and he seems like he might be done. Of course, if he takes a cheap deal I would be for it, but because he is "Pudge" I think someone will pay for the name. Hopefully, not us. I would rather have Zaun with contracts being equal, and I think Pudge will get more.

I thought Sexson was a righty. Not?

He is, so get scared.:D

I really don't want to see Pudge here. He was just awful last year with the MFY's and he seems like he might be done. Of course, if he takes a cheap deal I would be for it, but because he is "Pudge" I think someone will pay for the name. Hopefully, not us. I would rather have Zaun with contracts being equal, and I think Pudge will get more.:D

I think Wieters' development has to be the bottom line in the decision. And I don't know if Pudge or Zaun is the best answer for that. I think that's what DT and his boys would know the answer to. It's not like Pudge wants a big contract, 3 yrs., double digits. I can't see that.

Another Pudge Rodriguez reference. He WOULD be a nice addition, even for two years.

DITTO!

I would think a one year deal will do it. Incentive based for the first half of the season.

Once Wieters is up, play Pudge at DH 2-3 days a week, and 1-2 days catching.

Also, Pudge is always a target come the trade deadline.

What is Japan?

No, but seriously, I like the move. From a purely baseball standpoint, you get another pitcher that could be a surprise in the rotation.

This could put the O's on the map for Asian players. A small step in the right direction, but nonetheless, a good move.

Is anyone else like me and doesn't understand why "breaking into the market" is so important?

Allow me to explain.

From what I read, we are the LAST team in MLB to sign an Asian player. So, it's not like we've broken into some exclusive club of teams now able to sign Asian players.

All we had to do was call up their agents, who are American and represent players that we've worked with in the past, and offer the most money for their services.

We really haven't broken through any ceiling or set ourselves apart or paved the way for any future moves. And rather than signing a token player to break into said market, we should make sure it's the right guy.

I'm not sure a 34 year old who had a 3.80 ERA in Japan is the right guy.

:rolleyestf:

Archived