Elias sounds like he is shooting high

wildcard

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Benintendi is a far superior offensive player imo. 71 points in OBP and 93 in slugging. 

You're saying his OPS is 164 points higher than who?

Benintendi lifetime OPS is .782.  Hays lifetime OPS is .743.  Last year Benintendi was .772 and Hays .719.  Benintendi is probably a better LF now as well.  Overall, he's probably better.  If he's just replacing Hays, ok but not great.  I like the idea of Benintendi in LF and Hays moving to RF to solidify the OF defense. 

Edited by RZNJ

Introducing art, do pitchers with biographies similar to Grayson and DL get tiebreaker edges?

RHP Taillon and Taijuan (and Verlander, less likely) have lived the life approximately similar to Grayson.

LHP Manaea and Heaney (and Rodon and Kershaw, less likely), same for Hall.

deGrom, Senga and Bassitt have had far different baseball lives.

I put the little-g just a guy label on Kluber, Stripling, Eflin.    English tough if not your first language, man, because Capital G Guy is also slang for Grayson Rodriguez, Justin Verlander, etc.

Those middle guys if aiming for 4th year will take 40-60 outlays similar to Steven Matz and Jon Gray a year ago.   Manaea and Heaney may prefer shorter deals to rebuild or redemonstrate their quality.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

You're saying his OPS is 164 points higher than who?

Benintendi lifetime OPS is .782.  Hays lifetime OPS is .743.  Last year Benintendi was .772 and Hays .719.  Benintendi is probably a better LF now as well.  Overall, he's probably better.  If he's just replacing Hays, ok but not great.  I like the idea of Benintendi in LF and Hays moving to RF to solidify the OF defense. 

Don’t care about lifetime. Benintendi is who he is now. I’m not sold in Hays, he was a mediocre baseball player this year. He’s been a .305 OBP guy for 2 seasons now. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Don’t care about lifetime. Benintendi is who he is now. I’m not sold in Hays, he was a mediocre baseball player this year. He’s been a .305 OBP guy for 2 seasons now. 

No problem.  So you're also ok with a .399 slugging pct and 5 home runs.  That's certainly not better than Hays. Hey, I'll take the 2022 version of Benintendi.  It's not the same as the 2021 version but you seem pretty sure that doesn't matter.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

No problem.  So you're also ok with a .399 slugging pct and 5 home runs.  That's certainly not better than Hays. Hey, I'll take the 2022 version of Benintendi.  It's not the same as the 2021 version but you seem pretty sure that doesn't matter.

Whatever, a .305 OBP player is not a starting major league player. I mean his whole career is .309 and the old Orioles had a penchant for those kind of guys. I’d move him if anyone values him but that’s just me. I think adding two bats is a sound plan. I’d slot Benintendi 2nd in the order behind Mullins. Then whomever he gets for the MOO is around Adley and Gunnar. I think we could have a scary top 6 if that were too happen. An argument could be made to bat him 1st even though he’s not a base stealer anymore. Guys with .380 OBPs don’t grow on trees.  Having him and Adley at 2 and 3 would be awesome.

Cedric and Santander are your 2 .320ish guys. If it were Correa as rumored you’d have

.320 Mullins CF

.370 Benintendi LF 

.365 Rutschman C 

.365 Correa SS

.350 Henderson 3B

.320 Santander DH

.330 Urias 2B (Used his career OBP, hoping he gets closer to that)

.350** Cowser RF (Minor OBP is .422, .409 last year)

.340 Westburg 2B (minor OBP is 371, .355 last year)

Our offense would be drastically improved which I’m sure is the goal. Hopefully you could convince Cedric to get closer to the .330 career OBP rather than Cedric the masher at .318.

6 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I'd be a little wary of spending that much money on two "unproven" Japanese players making the jump to the MLB level for the first time. One of them though, sure- Senga would be my choice since pitching is much bigger area of need than OF.

26 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I'd be a little wary of spending that much money on two "unproven" Japanese players making the jump to the MLB level for the first time. One of them though, sure- Senga would be my choice since pitching is much bigger area of need than OF.

He projects pretty well due to his strike zone awareness. He’s a .320ish career hitter with 120 more walks than Ks. He’s averaged around 20 home runs. If you were going to take a shot on a bat he’d be a pretty good risk imo.

23 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

He projects pretty well due to his strike zone awareness. He’s a .320ish career hitter with 120 more walks than Ks. He’s averaged around 20 home runs. If you were going to take a shot on a bat he’d be a pretty good risk imo.

He definitely looks like he'll be successful in MLB but $30-35 million per season for 3-5 years is a lot of payroll space to devote to 2 guys who have never played a single game in MLB for a team like the Orioles that can't spend with the Yankees, Red Sox, and Blue Jays.

Hays career - .257/.309/.434
Benintendi career - .279/.351/.431

Hays 2022 - .250/.306/.413
Benintendi - .304/.373/.399

No matter what way you want to look at the numbers it is clear that Benintendi is a significantly better hitter than Hays. When you take into account that his defense is also better there really should be no doubt that Benintendi would be a huge upgrade.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

He definitely looks like he'll be successful in MLB but $30-35 million per season for 3-5 years is a lot of payroll space to devote to 2 guys who have never played a single game in MLB for a team like the Orioles that can't spend with the Yankees, Red Sox, and Blue Jays.

Senga is projected to get 15 per for 5 years. Does Yoshida get that? 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Heard MLb radio talking about Yoshida’s offense today but they said that his defense isn’t good.

Saw questionable at best in an article. So make him a DH

If those conditions are financial, that may not be an issue. Yoshida could command a solid payday stateside after producing a .327/.421/.539 batting line with 133 homers and 161 doubles in his 3189 NPB plate appearances. While his defense is questionable at best, Yoshida’s ability to get on base and hit the ball hard should allow him to come stateside at a respectable salary.

https://calltothepen.com/2022/11/04/masataka-yoshida-will-posted-conditions-met/

Edited by Roll Tide

13 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

He would’ve been our best starter last year. So that must be all we have is JAGs. If they really are trying to compete I’d say we need a bunch of upgrades. You have to bring up Grayson but don’t know that you can count on him out of the gate.

I think you can probably count on Kremer and Bradish for 150 IPs each. Looking at the other possibilities above I’d say Voth also if your convinced he’s the guy that pitched for you last year. You can’t count on Means or Wells at this point. I still think Hall should take the long reliever role as he’s a borderline 5 inning guy due to his erratic control and minor league track record the last few years.

And I don’t think Elias is going to play in the 30 million per season world.

The most innings Kremer has thrown is 131. Bradish max has been 117IP. Hopefully they take the step up to 150IP. 
I am putting Voth, Wells, and Hall in the bullpen.

I am hoping we sign Rodon and Clevinger/Kluber. Or sign Rodon and trade for a second pitcher. 

SP: Rodon, GROD, Clevinger/Kluber, Kremer, and Bradish (We have Wells

BP: Bautista, Tate, Hall, Baker, Perez, Akin, Voth, Wells, Baumann, Krehbel. That is ten guys- great competition!