Any Interesting Non-Tenders

Bahama O's Fan

1 hour ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I was intrigued by Luke Voit, but his numbers against LH pitching this season were horrific. Anybody know if that was possibly just a one year blip? 

Voit's career OPS against LHP is .768 which includes his horrific .569 OPS in 2022 versus LHP. But, I don't see the Orioles really having a need for a 1B/DH type player unless they trade a Mountcastle or other player(s) to free up at bats. 

I'm not in favor of taking a flyer on Voit because he's going to be 32 years old and his OPS has trended downwards the last  two seasons. Also players with his body type (6'3" & 255 lbs) don't tend to age well and can hit the wall real fast. 

Alfaro does intrigue me as an option for backup catcher considering Elias is not going to ride Adley hard like the O's did with Wieters. Chirinos is just too old now and too much of blackhole offensively even by backup catcher standards. 

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

47 minutes ago, tabletop said:

Alex Reyes and Anthony Gose are two relievers I would be interested in. They both had issues with walks last season and we've seen this regime help out similar talents.

I like Gose but he’ll miss next year after TJ surgery.

9 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

Alfaro has flexibility to play C and OF and his bat plays in short spurts.  I would pursue him at most.  A move for Bellinger is what the old O's would do - probably not part of the new mindset that hopefully in play at the moment.

Unless the Orioles braintrust thinks they can fix whatever is wrong with Bellinger he's a hard pass. And you're correct this is totally a player the O's would take a chance on before Elias. 

11 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Unless the Orioles braintrust thinks they can fix whatever is wrong with Bellinger he's a hard pass. And you're correct this is totally a player the O's would take a chance on before Elias. 

Bellinger is the poster child for being very careful when you consider giving a long contract to a young player. Who would have thought this guy would be non-tendered by 27 years old after the way he hit at 23?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Bellinger is the poster child for being very careful when you consider giving a long contract to a young player. Who would have thought this guy would be non-tendered by 27 years old after the way he hit at 23?

As a fan that would be even worse than the Chris Davis contract. It's generally considered a good move when you sign a young pre-free agent player to an early contract extension. 

But imagine if it blew up in your team's face like how Bellinger has gone from an MVP to a non-tender. That would even be worse seeing your young star expected to be an all star player the next decade almost out of baseball just a few years later.

It's definitely a risk because younger players don't start getting expensive until their arbitration years. That said I would love to hear breaking news on Adley signing a contract this winter and throw in Gunnar for good measure. Maybe it's a little soon on Gunnar, but everything about him screams future star and five tool player.  

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yes, which is why I think the Orioles will wait at least one more year before locking up either AR or GH, though I could see Henderson rejecting a long term deal due to his agent.

Franco's situation is also a warning against young players getting long term deals.

7 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

IMO, hard pass is too extreme.  The issue is that there will be a line of teams hoping to catch lightning in a bottle and will likely be willing to give him more money than is reasonable.  But what's reasonable when 40 HR is at stake?  Lefties with power play well anywhere.  Contact though... well that's why he was non-tendered.  

Crunch the numbers, set a price target, and stick to it.