2022-23 Terps Basketball

Jagwar

New coach, a gaggle of new players. They can be a little chaotic on offense, but they hustle like crazy and play solid defense. 5-0 so far against the cupcakes, but the meat of the Big 10 season is looming. 

Anyone else paid any attention to them so far?

1 minute ago, Jagwar said:

New coach, a gaggle of new players. They can be a little chaotic on offense, but they hustle like crazy and play solid defense. 5-0 so far against the cupcakes, but the meat of the Big 10 season is looming. 

I haven't but I appreciate the update.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I haven't but I appreciate the update.

I don't know most of the roster. I'm familiar with Scott, Reese, Hart and Martinez. The team definitely plays hard, and seems much more cohesive than the past Turgeon teams.  

5 hours ago, Jagwar said:

St. Louis isn't exactly a cupcake.  Their KenPom ranking is 49.  NET has them a little worse but its still got a shot at being a Q1 win.

The fact that they annihilated them perked my ears up for sure.  Also, when's the last time the Terps put up 90+ in a game against a real opponent?

Edited by Hallas

8 hours ago, Hallas said:

St. Louis isn't exactly a cupcake.  Their KenPom ranking is 49.  NET has them a little worse but its still got a shot at being a Q1 win.

The fact that they annihilated them perked my ears up for sure.  Also, when's the last time the Terps put up 90+ in a game against a real opponent?

Fair enough. Maybe I just assumed SL was a cupcake because of the score. Perhaps the score was an indication that the Terps are a better team than I thought. 

So cool seeing them raise that trophy!  Team looks happy, amazing what winning can do. 

Team moves the ball around so well, quick passes, no prolonged dribbling, standing around watching 1-1 play.  Amazing what good coaching can do as well.  Julian Reese has taken some big steps already, he looks stronger and more confident.  Elevated his entire game.  This team can shoot!  Dominated the boards.  Nice win.  Gotta cut down on the turnovers.  Cornish isn't getting much playing time, I predict he will transfer after the season, too bad.  I hope he doesn't.

8 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Fair enough. Maybe I just assumed SL was a cupcake because of the score. Perhaps the score was an indication that the Terps are a better team than I thought. 

I wouldn't blame you for thinking that looking at the final score.  But the line at tipoff was Saint Louis by 4.  

And now we convincingly beat Miami on day 2.  I'm ready to overreact and call Willard a COY candidate.

3 hours ago, Hallas said:

I wouldn't blame you for thinking that looking at the final score.  But the line at tipoff was Saint Louis by 4.  

And now we convincingly beat Miami on day 2.  I'm ready to overreact and call Willard a COY candidate.

They looked fantastic. I'm not used to seeing such a unified effective offense. This is an anti-Turgeon offense. The defense, the finishing, the shooting, the athleticism. I'm impressed. 

It's almost like having a coach who can actually coach matters. Incredible how much smarter and more efficient this team is, which is essentially the same roster as last year. Notable exception is Jahmir Young transferring over and replacing the godawful Fatts Russell at point guard. Otherwise, Reese grew and his game really polished, can see him playing at the next level. Scott lost 20 pounds and also has elevated his game. Hart got taller as well and should be really solid. Those four guys form a really strong nucleus.

1 hour ago, Finisher said:

It's almost like having a coach who can actually coach matters. Incredible how much smarter and more efficient this team is, which is essentially the same roster as last year. Notable exception is Jahmir Young transferring over and replacing the godawful Fatts Russell at point guard. Otherwise, Reese grew and his game really polished, can see him playing at the next level. Scott lost 20 pounds and also has elevated his game. Hart got taller as well and should be really solid. Those four guys form a really strong nucleus.

Yes... amazing what good coaching in a solid system can do. 

Apparently they have a pretty good class coming in next season.