2022-23 Terps Basketball

Jagwar

1 minute ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

First team to advance (discounting the last 4 in).  Nerve-wracking game.

Where has Jahmir Young gone?  He has been rough the last couple of games.

Our reward, Alabama in Alabama. 

If you had told me this was the end result five minutes before the first game was played this season I'd be pleased with the progress.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you had told me this was the end result five minutes before the first game was played this season I'd be pleased with the progress.

Agree completely.  Everyone expected this to be a rough year.  IIRC we were expected to finish 10th in the Big Ten.  In basically every metric you can think of, this season has been positive. 

Had some really bad turnovers, our guards need to be better with the ball, particularly Young.  Overall gotta be pleased though, team showed tons of grit.  Reese balled out, cleaned up the glass like crazy.  Had a silly foul down the stretch but hey he will learn.

Good result, having a NCAA tournament win this season is a big positive.  Playing with house money at this point, go play Alabama hard and see what happens.

On 3/13/2023 at 1:44 PM, Finisher said:

Issue lately is Reese getting into foul trouble. I think he's our most talented player and when he's forced out there's a dropoff.

Welp, Alabama was there for the taking but Reese early foul trouble cost us a chance to be ahead or even at the half. 5 point deficit isn't insurmountable but they'll probably start hitting threes or just heat up at some point.

Alabama was the better team, no doubt about that.  And the venue certainly didn't help us.  They were so good defensively that we rarely had anyone open for longer than a second.  Overall, a very good season.  Would like to see some more road wins next year, just to get that monkey off our back.  And some of our guys seemed to be a little timid in big moments.  Hoping some of our recruits have more of that swagger and fearlessness that you need to be successful in big games.  

Overall this was a good season for Kevin Williard especially since he was coming on with such low expectations. Williard did a good job with the portal as well as getting a good year out of Hakim Hard and Scott to a lesser extent. 

I love how this team plays defense and until they were neutralized by the much more athletic Alabama, they really gave teams fits. 

Under Williard the offense was much smarter and the players played much more under control. Now the drawback was how poorly the team played against hostile crowds/away but I think it had more to do with the players than any preparation by Williard.

The key to the future here will be how Williard recruits and how he continues to use the portal to fill immediate holes. Overall though, I'm a fan of Williard's coaching way more than Turgeon. Of course, that's not a high bar! lol

9 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Overall this was a good season for Kevin Williard especially since he was coming on with such low expectations. Williard did a good job with the portal as well as getting a good year out of Hakim Hard and Scott to a lesser extent. 

I love how this team plays defense and until they were neutralized by the much more athletic Alabama, they really gave teams fits. 

Under Williard the offense was much smarter and the players played much more under control. Now the drawback was how poorly the team played against hostile crowds/away but I think it had more to do with the players than any preparation by Williard.

The key to the future here will be how Williard recruits and how he continues to use the portal to fill immediate holes. Overall though, I'm a fan of Williard's coaching way more than Turgeon. Of course, that's not a high bar! lol

I thought I had read that the seniors all have an extra year of eligibility due to the lost Pandemic year. If any of them come back, and the 3 recruits contribute, this could be a very good team next year. 

16 hours ago, Jagwar said:

I thought I had read that the seniors all have an extra year of eligibility due to the lost Pandemic year. If any of them come back, and the 3 recruits contribute, this could be a very good team next year. 

I think Hart is gone one way or the other, but if Jamir Young and/or Scott return it would be a huge boost!

• 2 weeks later...

Donta Scott is coming back next year. Using his extra year of eligibility from the Covid season. The team is going to have some veteran leadership to help shepherd the recruiting class. 

There's also a rumor out there that Hunter Dickinson (who entered the transfer portal) might come to Maryland after Willard hired Mike Jones, his old HS coach. 

• 3 weeks later...