Cody Bellinger

Explosivo

Thoughts on Cody Bellinger as a possible pickup by the Orioles? He’s a left handed bat, he’s 27, former center fielder, former all star and maybe we could fix his swing? Was his downturn injury related? Odd to see such a talented player just completely fall off and at prime age. He could really cover left field for us potentially, but the bat is a question mark.

• Upvote 1

I understand the appeal, but my feelings are that the Orioles don't have time to give a guy like this 200+ ABs to see if they can fix him. The risk is high because it's a year they hope to compete and it would cut into playing time for players who will probably be more productive.

Obviously, if you fix him, you have an incredible talent. But that would have been a project for the rebuild years - we're too far along now to take this risk from a playing time/lineup black hole perspective.  

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

I have interest.  But the reality is I'd also get outbid on his services.  

Fangraph makes a case...

Despite Non-Tender and Big Struggles, There’s Hope for a Bellinger Revival | FanGraphs Baseball

I think it’s reasonable that with such robust interest this early in the winter and a scarcity of capable centerfielders, he could end up in the $10–12 million range projected for fellow comeback candidate Michael Conforto and Michael Brantley, neither of whom seem to have excited as much chatter in the early days of free agency.

• Upvote 2

If we traded away Mullins, I think I'd be OK with Bellinger.  Especially over Mckenna et al.  Not saying that is the direction I'd like to go but I don't think I'd be too upset with that set-up if it netted us an impact SP.  Maybe Camden is appealing as a one year stop to build up value for a power LH bat?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Thanks btdart, this is an interesting look at Bellinger. He appears to be on the up swing from his nadir in 2021. He's maintained his defensive and base running value in the middle of his offensive struggles. Looks like Scott Boras would like to see him take a 1 year deal to reclaim his value. 

Big questions:

1) does a "change of scenery" help him recover some of his offensive value?

2) Does the banning of the shift make an impact on his offensive production?

3) What does one year of Bellinger cost?

I think if Mullins is traded and Cowser is not ready to take over CF, Bellinger would be an interesting gamble. It would depend on the cost.

On 11/23/2022 at 12:05 PM, Explosivo said:

Thoughts on Cody Bellinger as a possible pickup by the Orioles? He’s a left handed bat, he’s 27, former center fielder, former all star and maybe we could fix his swing? Was his downturn injury related? Odd to see such a talented player just completely fall off and at prime age. He could really cover left field for us potentially, but the bat is a question mark.

I don’t think we need to add projects. If we are adding 2 hitters beyond a backup C, I’m advocating for two high OBP guys. We have far too many regulars with OBPs in the +/- .300 range

• Upvote 1

On 11/24/2022 at 4:39 PM, owknows said:

Chris Davis says "pull my finger".

Well that one at least makes sense. He was already a hundred millionaire. Bellinger at least has incentive to do well. Maybe a one year contract around 7 million with incentives would be wise for this guy. Platoon him with Hays and at the very least he’s a defensive replacement with speed, at best his bat clicks and we get shades of 2019 Bellinger. I trust the coaches if they feel they can fix his bat and approach. If not, no worries.

On 11/23/2022 at 5:21 PM, btdart20 said:

I have interest.  But the reality is I'd also get outbid on his services.  

Fangraph makes a case...

Despite Non-Tender and Big Struggles, There’s Hope for a Bellinger Revival | FanGraphs Baseball

I think it’s reasonable that with such robust interest this early in the winter and a scarcity of capable centerfielders, he could end up in the $10–12 million range projected for fellow comeback candidate Michael Conforto and Michael Brantley, neither of whom seem to have excited as much chatter in the early days of free agency.

The Orioles scoring issues stem from a robust amount of guys with OBPs under .310. You’d be subtracting quite substantially. It would ge a dumb move.

looks like I’m not the only guy who still wants to give Belli a chance. I’m telling you, a one year deal, all the incentives in the world for the guy to do well to get that big deal and a ballpark meant to maximize his skill set. Let’s make it happen. 1 year 7 million with massive incentives that could go to 11 million at the most.

Edited by Explosivo

47 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

looks like I’m not the only guy who still wants to give Belli a chance. I’m telling you, a one year deal, all the incentives in the world for the guy to do well to get that big deal and a ballpark meant to maximize his skill set. Let’s make it happen. 1 year 7 million with massive incentives that could go to 11 million at the most.

I think all 30 teams would be in on Belly @ 7mm.   I imagine his floor is closer to 11mm.  Santana just got 6.75 and had pretty similar year, is way younger, and can play CF.