Cody Bellinger

Explosivo

1 year contract for a guy like that who potentially could get his swing back in a park that is designed for his style and a left field that’s basically center field. I say go for it. He’s a stop gap that’s low risk very high reward. Plus he has experience in the post season and I think might be a good fit in the clubhouse. Hell, maybe getting out of LA will be good for the fella. I dunno.

This episode is pretty interesting and provides optimistic takes about a potential pursuit of Bellinger:

Effectively Wild: A FanGraphs Baseball Podcast: Effectively Wild Episode 1934: How to Bring Back Bellinger’s Bat on Apple Podcasts

His bWar was 1.2  w/ a 78 OPS+.  I think a projections system (ZIPS?) pegged him at 94 OPS+ in 2023. One of the analysts said he wouldn't surprised by 100 OPS+ or more.  He sounds fixable, but then the Dodgers weren't able to help him.

I think someone makes a $12 million bet on him. I'm guessing Tor or Hou. 

I would take a flyer on Bellinger. It would be rotating between LF/CF and DH and not get rid of Mullins.  A team like the Yankees or Astros wouldn’t have a problem carrying a guy like him in hopes of past production but at the very least a defensive replacement or to give time off to every day players. 
He has a chance to come back this year and ever reason in the world to make it happen. He fractured his leg in 2021 and was never the same after at the plate. He is quite removed from that and he gets out of the LA limelight. I would be fine with adding him and a number of other teams out there agree he is worth looking at as an option. That said, I see him going to Houston or Colorado but the Os should be exploring the option. 

20 minutes ago, sevastras said:

I would take a flyer on Bellinger. It would be rotating between LF/CF and DH and not get rid of Mullins.  A team like the Yankees or Astros wouldn’t have a problem carrying a guy like him in hopes of past production but at the very least a defensive replacement or to give time off to every day players. 
He has a chance to come back this year and ever reason in the world to make it happen. He fractured his leg in 2021 and was never the same after at the plate. He is quite removed from that and he gets out of the LA limelight. I would be fine with adding him and a number of other teams out there agree he is worth looking at as an option. That said, I see him going to Houston or Colorado but the Os should be exploring the option. 

I think the big question is: can he be had for a price reflective of a bench/rotational guy? Teams could be willing to be him legit starter money. If he can be had for cheap, I'm game. Otherwise, I think Hyde is under too much pressure to play him every day. 

Edited by interloper

What about Mitch Haniger? One year removed from 39 HR season, still put up 114 OPS+ in a pitcher's park and 1.3 WAR in less than half a season. Missed time mostly due to high ankle sprain which you'd think would not affect his bat long term. Could be a cheaper alternative to Abreu, may be defensive upgrade over Santander or Stowers. Also better overall hitter than Hays. I'm seeing 3/$39M for contract projection. 

16 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

What about Mitch Haniger? One year removed from 39 HR season, still put up 114 OPS+ in a pitcher's park and 1.3 WAR in less than half a season. Missed time mostly due to high ankle sprain which you'd think would not affect his bat long term. Could be a cheaper alternative to Abreu, may be defensive upgrade over Santander or Stowers. Also better overall hitter than Hays. I'm seeing 3/$39M for contract projection. 

Definitely like this idea. I'm personally hitched to the Benintendi wagon, but this works too.