Does a moo bat in the middle of the order and a top of rotation ace legitimately make us World Series contenders?

jrobb21613

I think we learn a lot about this young club this year. Was last year a fluke and we see regression from our young pitching that contributed mightily to our success last year or do they build upon that success? Does Hays and Mountcastle rebound? Will this be developmental learning year for G-Rod or does dominate like he’s capable of? What about Hall  is his command improved enough to warrant a spot in the rotation? Gunnar Henderson, Mateo, Urias where do they play? Stowers plate disciplined improve enough that he deserves everyday playing time? How much of an impact will Westburg have? Is his ready to seize the 2nd base job? 

I think this team still has a lot of unanswered questions.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

If the answer to that question is yes why are we sitting on our hands? If no do you think it’s smart to wait to acquire those guys when the front office feels as if they put us over the top? 

No, not quite.  Don't get me wrong, I know if you make the playoffs anything can happen.  But even adding a true ACE and a middle order bat doesn't quite get us there.  We still have largely unproven pitchers in the other 3 starting spots, and while some are great prospects (GRod) others the jury is still out on to see if they can repeat or improve from last year.  And we've still got too many holes in the lineup if we are putting the MOO at 1st base, leaving Mateo, Mountcastle (DH) whoever is manning 2nd, and Hays in the every day lineup.  Until we solidify at least 2 of those positions with stronger bats I'm not sure our lineup is explosive enough to say we are really World Series contenders.  Now hopefully some of the upcoming 'calvary' in Cowser, Westburg, Ortiz, Norby can be difference makers in that regards, but until they are up here and doing it, we just don't know.  

All that said we SHOULD be strengthening our team, either by FA or trades.  But I for one certainly don't feel like we are just 2 pieces away from becoming true World Series contenders, but again make the playoffs and anything can happen.

Edited by forphase1

I more or less subscribe to the "just get in" philosophy since a decent number of teams that didn't necessarily look like strong World Series contenders on paper have won World Series over the years, so I would argue that two solid mid-rotation starters (Gibson obviously doesn't count here) and a solid veteran bat or two that can get on base at a decent clip would have made us a strong playoff contender, and therefore a World Series contender.

1 hour ago, jrobb21613 said:

I think we learn a lot about this young club this year. Was last year a fluke and we see regression from our young pitching that contributed mightily to our success last year or do they build upon that success? Does Hays and Mountcastle rebound? Will this be developmental learning year for G-Rod or does dominate like he’s capable of? What about Hall  is his command improved enough to warrant a spot in the rotation? Gunnar Henderson, Mateo, Urias where do they play? Stowers plate disciplined improve enough that he deserves everyday playing time? How much of an impact will Westburg have? Is his ready to seize the 2nd base job? 

I think this team still has a lot of unanswered questions.

Every team has unanswered questions.. it is why they play the games.   Each season is its own creation.  They have talent but winning is a skill set that is honed over years. 

Sign Verlander, trade for Pablo Lopez, sign Josh bell or Abreu.

Yes,  WS contenders. Payroll still probably bottom half and our future is fine because no long term deals signed. Wouldn't drastically affect long term club health, just the pockets of the greedy ownership. 

Instead we have Gibson.