Catcher James McCann Acquired from Mets

LookinUp

3 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Posey had just one year with over 120 starts at Catcher, and it was one of his worst seasons with a 115 OPS+. I think there's a direct correlation there. 

He did it twice. The other year his OPS+ was in the 130s.

Realmuto has 6 seasons of 118 games of more at C and his OPS+ is usually in the 110-120 area.

Adley is bigger than him, so I don’t expect him to catch that much every year but 100 games is way too low. He was in 93 games as C last year and he missed 40ish games to start to year. 76% of his appearances were at C.  That would put him at 110 or so starts at a minimum and he should be more 115 or so.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This is absurd. The best catcher in the sport catch 115+ games in most years. Adley has a ways to go to become Posey (who will be a HOFer) and Posey caught a ton of games and kept his offense up.

We need stop treating Adley like his some little child that can’t handle it. This is what he is. This is his position. His value is that he’s a great catcher. His value isn’t that he’s a very good DH. 

I agree with you that 100 games would be very low for a guy like Adley.  Like I said, he caught at a 113 game pace last year which would have been third in MLB.   Really, the pace was a little higher once he got past the first few weeks.  

May 7/11 64%

June 17/26 65%

July 17/25 68%

August 20/27 74%

Sept./Oct. 23/33 70%

I think he’ll be used at about the same pace next year.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

I agree his defensive value is higher than his offensive value, more having fun with GM cliches and telling players things they like to hear.

Any given team, the backup C is sometimes (often?) the least important of the four bench regulars.     The Orioles have the likeliest best catcher the next couple five years.     The Orioles backup C role is one of the least important in all MLB for the foreseeable future.

I do think if McCann starts good, Elias is going to start Buy Low, Sell High noodling on trading him like Jose Iglesias for Garrett Stallings.    We'll see how Ardoin and Handley do.

Rutschman has the potential without a doubt to be in the conversations about 'best' catcher for many years.  As long as he can stay healthy.  Which means that the Backup catcher no longer stays the least important on the 26 man.   If, BIG IF, the O's know there is something more to the 2021 tricep injury, enough so that there is more to it that wasn't revealed?  Could be one of the reason's the O's haven't extended him like other clubs with young stars after 1 season?  

The O's may be wanting to be sure what happened to Bryce Harper doesn't happen to Adley?  With more expected runners this year than previous years (due to pick off rules, oversized bases, etc) that would mean more high stress throw downs they may wish to avoid.  So for those that want Adley at 120-130 games behind the dish... That isn't happening.  

McCann caught averaged 112 games between 2015-2019.  His 2019 All-Star year and the stats from COVID 2020 year got him the $30 Million with Mets.  But then a big drop off in 2021 and injuries of 2022.  But that could also be associated with the strength of the Naltional League East vs. American League Central.  Now he is in American League East, but the mixed national schedule should also lend to the 'bounce back' year potential we hope for.

As for many waiting for Handley or Ardoin...  The O's have a history of platooning their MiLB catchers.  Not developing them.  Except for moving Adley thru the system.  I don't expect the O's to change their slow progression of Handley at AAA.  Keep him playing every other day but now you have Bemboom and Kolovsvary who will need to get their reps as well as fill the need of the JIC Travel Catcher.  Catchers as DH's will be limited in Norfolk with the new signings and I doubt we will see as many C's playing 1B in 2023 as in 2022.   

I can't see Ardoin jumping to Aberdeen before another 150 PA's in Delmarva.  Unless he just explodes and can bring down the 33% K Rate and improve the 0.250 SLG.  After all, the hype on Ardoin was a premium defensive catcher (like Handley) but that was hitting bombs at Texas and has the MLB lineage from his father.  Neither his offense or defense justify a promotion just yet.  

Edited by CHIP

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Unless there are injuries or you are just riding a hot bat, he shouldn’t be considered for anything outside of 40-45 games at C. I’m fine with him as a back up C. It’s just not a big deal To me.

My concern is that they are done with bats. If they still bring in a significant bat, that’s fine. I won’t be concerned about this.

But if this is truly their plan, that means it’s unlikely they bring in a good bat unless someone else is traded and even then, that may not happen.

Mazara, Frenchy, McCann and Frazier is a garbage group of bats.

If Mazara and Frenchy get regular at bats, I'm going to vomit.  How long will it take for them to prove to Elias their careers are over.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

The Orioles backup C role is one of the least important in all MLB for the foreseeable future.

How do you figure? If he's in the lineup between a third and a half of all the Oriole games (60-80 starts) that's a big hole, unless they can bring his bat back up to average. 

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

On the Angelos austerity meter, its another roster spot where ~350% of the MLB minimum AAV has been deployed to push Anthony Bemboom away from the MLB mix.     Bonus for the cash flow if NYM are wiring that $19mm over before Christmas!

Truly dizzying where your brain goes!  The Bemboom comment had me laughing!

39 minutes ago, now said:

How do you figure? If he's in the lineup between a third and a half of all the Oriole games (60-80 starts) that's a big hole, unless they can bring his bat back up to average. 

I think Elias being polite and professional didn't specify pinch hitting for even weaker bats like Mateo and Frazier, and getting Adley off his feet at the end of blowouts as probable context for most of those 80 games.

Would you pinch hit him for Mullins or Stowers even against opponent's Keegan Akin or Cionel Perez in the 8th inning?

10 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I think Elias being polite and professional didn't specify pinch hitting for even weaker bats like Mateo and Frazier, and getting Adley off his feet at the end of blowouts as probable context for most of those 80 games.

Would you pinch hit him for Mullins or Stowers even against opponent's Keegan Akin or Cionel Perez in the 8th inning?

I see no problem with selected matchups or blowout innings. The problem is automatic starts 2~3 days a week (caveat: unless he's actually hitting like he deserves it).

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

We have to get out of this mindset.

Adley’s value is because he’s an elite catcher. He needs to CATCH to have that value. We aren’t talking about a 900-1000 OPS bat in all likelihood. 

Hmmm…..I’m going to go out on a limb and say I think it’s pretty likely Adley will have some .900+ OPS seasons.  He was at .868 excluding his first 15 games, in a year when conditions favored pitchers.  

In my mind, he’ll be an elite bat for a catcher, maybe the best in MLB, but he’ll also be adding value on the days he plays DH.   I think you play him at C as often as you can without seeing deterioration from fatigue.  Last year was around a 113-start pace.   It may be slightly more this year, but I think it will be close.   

• Upvote 2

So the Orioles give the Mets a list of players and the Mets will choose before ST.    Is this just to give the Mets time to research the players or is it so that when it's finally announced that Met fans will hardly notice?    The Mets aren't going to get to see any of these players in action (unless it's someone playing winter ball) between now and then.   

Could it be anyone in the top 30?     It seems like it's not a top 20 guy.   Here are my best guesses for who might be on the list.

1. Luis Valdez 

2. Zach Watson

3. Adam Hall

4. Isaac Bellony

5. Billy Cook

Edited by RZNJ

29 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

So the Orioles give the Mets a list of players and the Mets will choose before ST.    Is this just to give the Mets time to research the players or is it so that when it's finally announced that Met fans will hardly notice?    The Mets aren't going to get to see any of these players in action (unless it's someone playing winter ball) between now and then.   

Could it be anyone in the top 30?     It seems like it's not a top 20 guy.   Here are my best guesses for who might be on the list.

1. Luis Valdez 

2. Zach Watson

3. Adam Hall

4. Isaac Bellony

5. Billy Cook

We will never know who four of the five were.  If the player the Mets choose is on this list, you are due major brownie points.  

• Haha 1

So would you rather be stuck with McCann for 2.5years at 5 million per or Casali at 2.5 per if you keep him for two years or $3.25 million if not

Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports that Casali will be guaranteed $3.25MM, which takes the form of a $2.5MM salary and a $750K buyout on the option. There’s also a $250K assignment bonus to be paid to him in the event he’s traded.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/12/reds-designate-mike-moustakas-sign-curt-casali.html

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/casalcu01.shtml

Edited by Roll Tide
Adjusted to be correct