Prepare yourselves for Hosmer

interloper

I

20 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

On the contrary, I think it's best for both players. Hosmer is not an everyday batter. He's older, his back really ended his season on a bad note with a back injury. I think it's best for him to maximize his greatest utility and that's mashing left handed pitching. Mountcastle is still a young player. He had slumps and protecting your asset in that way as well is smart as well. Reducing the work load and stress on young players and setting your lineup up to maximize your chance of winning on each day is how you get the best out of all situations and make it to the playoffs. This lesson works the same way for players like Hays as well. Platoons were commonplace in Orioles lore. I'm excited to see us get back to doing so again. Lowenstein baby! I also did mean that Weaver was our manager in 83, only that we won then utilizing concepts he conceived. 

I am not talking about the Orioles perspective.  I am talking about from Hosmer's  perspective.

Hosmer will play 2023 at 33 year old.   He has played 150+ games per season until last season.    I doubt he is looking for a team that offers him 200 at bats as a back up.

And Hosmer is not mashing anyone these days.

As far as the back injury goes, he had back spasm that cost him the last 6 weeks of the regular season.   He needs to strengthen is back his off season which I am sure he is doing.   I have not read that he has permanent damage to his back.  If you have more information on that please post it.

Just a sign he's getting old my dude. Where in it did you get the impression I was saying his back was failing? The cubs would offer him a better chance at playing time but a worse chance at making the playoffs. If you look at all the moves Elias has done, one thing is clear. He is looking for veterans who have had experience playing in the playoffs. He is looking for mentors to the young roster just as much as he is looking for meaningful production on the field.

Hosmer has to choose between more playing time on a fledging club, or a possible run and special season with the O's with less at bats. Last year, he proved he can hit left handed pitching for average and we all know Camden Yards is a left handed hitter's ballpark. Perhaps something clicked and Elias and his analytics team have picked up on that. Time will tell. But the point remains, focus on the strengths, maximize potential, and sometimes playing less but healthy is better than playing every day. It's up to Hosmer to choose. The cubs do have more of an opening at first so if he wants the at bats without anything to show for it, the cubs are the probable destination. They did also sign Bellinger. Say Mountcastle gets hurt, who would you rather have as his backup? Franchy Cordero or Hosmer? I'd go with Hosmer though I think the O's definitely have something to work with with Cordero. Experience making it to the postseason and playing in huge games is always a plus to add to a very young roster.

Further, he had a down year offensively last year but still had a higher OBP and average than Mountcastle. I like Mountcastle a lot, but adding depth at first from a guy who has similar projections as your starter is quality.

Edited by Explosivo

4 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Just a sign he's getting old my dude. Where in it did you get the impression I was saying his back was failing? The cubs would offer him a better chance at playing time but a worse chance at making the playoffs. If you look at all the moves Elias has done, one thing is clear. He is looking for veterans who have had experience playing in the playoffs. He is looking for mentors to the young roster just as much as he is looking for meaningful production on the field.

Hosmer has to choose between more playing time on a fledging club, or a possible run and special season with the O's with less at bats. Last year, he proved he can hit left handed pitching for average and we all know Camden Yards is a left handed hitter's ballpark. Perhaps something clicked and Elias and his analytics team have picked up on that. Time will tell. But the point remains, focus on the strengths, maximize potential, and sometimes playing less but healthy is better than playing every day. It's up to Hosmer to choose. The cubs do have more of an opening at first so if he wants the at bats without anything to show for it, the cubs are the probable destination. They did also sign Bellinger. Say Mountcastle gets hurt, who would you rather have as his backup? Franchy Cordero or Hosmer? I'd go with Hosmer though I think the O's definitely have something to work with with Cordero. Experience making it to the postseason and playing in huge games is always a plus to add to a very young roster.

I am in favor of using Westburg as the 1B backup.  I think he out hits Hosmer and Cordero.  And I think as a good defensive infielder he can learn 1B in ST.

Yes, he is righthanded but it really does not matter as much which side a player hits from.  Its important who he can hit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am in favor of using Westburg as the 1B backup.  I think he out hits Hosmer and Cordero.  And I think as a good defensive infielder he can learn 1B in ST.

Yes, he is righthanded but it really does not matter as much which side a player hits from.  Its important who he can hit.

I like Westburg a lot but he's not a first baseman, has never played first baseman in the minors nor did he in college. He has zero experience. There's no way I'd be more comfortable with a guy who has no experience at the major league level playing a position he probably never even played in high school vs a guy who has played in many postseasons on different teams and in World Series games. That's kinda nuts my dude. I think we see Westburg this year eventually and the trade deadline will determine that factor. His time would be better spent in AAA with regular at bats and waiting for the opportunity to play at second than to sit on the bench playing sparingly behind Mountcastle.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Explosivo said:

I like Westburg a lot but he's not a first baseman, has never played first baseman in the minors nor did he in college. He has zero experience. There's no way I'd be more comfortable with a guy who has no experience at the major league level playing a position he probably never even played in high school vs a guy who has played in many postseasons on different teams and in World Series games. That's kinda nuts my dude. I think we see Westburg this year eventually and the trade deadline will determine that factor. His time would be better spent in AAA with regular at bats and waiting for the opportunity to play at second than to sit on the bench playing sparingly behind Mountcastle.

I guess we will see how nuts it is.

1 hour ago, Explosivo said:

Last year, he proved he can hit left handed pitching for average and we all know Camden Yards is a left handed hitter's ballpark. 

I’d say the fact that Hosmer had a decent year against LHP doesn’t “prove” he can hit it.   117 PA is a small sample size.   If you look at most hitters, their splits vs. LHP vary a lot because the sample sizes are small.  He’s a .255 BA, .668 OPS hitter vs. LHP in his career, and I wouldn’t expect him to be significantly better than that, though obviously he could do so in a small sample.  

Ok, just a little nostalgia from an old guy. Boog is my favorite oriole of all time. Boog started life as an outfielder, and later moved to first base. And he became an exceptionally good one. 

I really like what I see in Kyle Stowers. I can’t help myself from drawing some parallels to the young John Powell. I see no reason not to give Stowers lots of work this spring at first base. Just another opportunity to get his LH bat in the lineup. 

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Hosmer may not have an interest in coming here. He had Baltimore in his  no trade clause back in 2021.

Interesting point.  However, could it be he had us on there when he signed his extentsion?  

It’s not Hosmer or bust for me. However, it might be for Elias because he will be cheap. I like Westburg, but I’d also like depth to start a season. 162 is a long season and 1B/DH is a major offensive position. Currently we have no depth there. Hosmer, Belt, and Luke Voit, are all fits. Hosmer just is the cheapest.