Prepare yourselves for Hosmer

interloper

Just now, jamalshw said:

I thought Wil Myers made some sense until the Reds signed him. He could do all of that, but from the other side of the plate. Occasional rest for Mountcastle, can play against LHP (which we had issues with some last year). He also provided some flexibility in his ability to play OF. But now that he's signed, I'm not sure any remaining free agents make sense. 

I know you aren't advocating for Hosmer, but I'm not sure I see that happening. I mean, it could, but the Frazier deal makes me think flexibility is important as Elias seems to be protecting himself against the youngsters struggling. Frazier can play 2B, but if Westburg blows the doors off AAA and earns his way up to the majors but Hays or Stowers struggles, Frazier can also go and get more playing time in the OF. Insurance against Mountcastle and someone to push him and give him the occasional breather makes sense, but only if it also comes with someone that can play elsewhere, too. To me, Hosmer doesn't fit for the same reasons Mancini doesn't. 

Ultimately, if we get Hosmer, I would just prefer we bring back Mancini. At least there's something positive from a sentimental perspective there. 

I agree that if it doesn't happen, it's because Hosmer can't play the OF, and they already probably want to DH Santander a lot. 

4 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Or his fellow former Royals teammate, Mike Moustakas.  I could really see this, and it worries me immensely.

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/baseball/mlb/player/19166/mike-moustakas

I haven't been a huge fan of any of the moves this offseason, but have understood them all. I'm admittedly a bit of an apologist for this front office. An acquisition of Moustakas would not be understandable at all. Even in his prime he was a low OBP player. We have enough of those and the likelihood of him getting back close to a productive player is extremely low. Sure, Frazier needs to bounce back offensively, but he was worth nearly 2 WAR more than Moustakas last year in a notably terrible season. 

• Upvote 1

This thread is mostly reminiscing about losing the 2014 ALCS.

I'm sure Hosmer, like Evan Longoria, will "prefer to play for a contender".

Baseball being what it is, I wonder if Brandon Hyde's Orioles will achieve their peak ELO rating and get as close to a dogpile as they ever will get with Adley Rutschman and Gunnar Henderson on the sidelines.

It fits the platoon approach, which I assume wouldn't be a pure platoon. So if they signed Hosmer, maybe he gets 1/3 of ABs against RHP and Mountcastle gets the other 2/3ish, plus most of the ABs against LHP?

Hosmer's career numbers against RHP are better than Mountcastle's, but I'm not so sure we could expect that in 2023. Conversely, Hosmer's career against LHP is much worse. Mountcastle is actually pretty much even.

Either way, it would at least fit that platoon-focused approach, if that's indeed what they're trying to do.

Just now, Just Regular said:

Baseball being what it is, I wonder if Brandon Hyde's Orioles will achieve their peak ELO rating and get as close to a dogpile as they ever will get with Adley Rutschman and Gunnar Henderson on the sidelines.

cue ELO "Don't Bring me Down" track here.

I don’t think I would mind this if it was a cheap 1 year deal.

The statcast numbers aren’t bad, he still hits for a decent average (by todays standards anyway) and he still has a decent OBP.

His  defense isn’t as good as it was but I don’t think he’s really going to hurt you over there either.

The question is, how does the roster work out?

They will carry 13 pitchers and 13 hitters.

Adley, Mounty, Urias, Mateo, Gunnar, Hays, Santander, Stowers , Frazier and Mullins are the guys you can currently pencil in to get most of the starts.

McCann and McKenna are on the bench.  That leaves one more spot. If that guys to Hosmer, who gets squeezed and does that mean Santander plays more in the OF?