Orioles acquire Ryan O’Hearn

Brian88

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

So here’s what I’m trying to figure out: We DFA’d Diaz while Vallimont was still on the 40-man, so we apparently thought Vallimont was more worth keeping than Diaz.  But then we DFA’d Vallimont to make room for O’Hearn, and then O’Hearn to make room for Diaz.  That suggests we’d rather have Diaz than Vallimont, right?   It doesn’t make a ton of sense unless we’re hoping one of these guys slips past waivers.  

Hey... at least Cash Considerations is still in the organization, right?

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

So here’s what I’m trying to figure out: We DFA’d Diaz while Vallimont was still on the 40-man, so we apparently thought Vallimont was more worth keeping than Diaz.  But then we DFA’d Vallimont to make room for O’Hearn, and then O’Hearn to make room for Diaz.  That suggests we’d rather have Diaz than Vallimont, right?   It doesn’t make a ton of sense unless we’re hoping one of these guys slips past waivers.  

Diaz will not be on the 40 man roster on OD anyway.  Though he can field he can't hit.  What difference does it make if he is left-handed if he can't hit major league pitching?  He is really depth in case of injury.

Diaz and Zimmermann are both vulnerable to Elias' next waiver claim or cheap pick up IMO.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Diaz will not be on the 40 man roster on OD anyway.  Though he can field he can't hit.  What difference does it make if he is left-handed if he can't hit major league pitching?  He is really depth in case of injury.

Diaz and Zimmermann are both vulnerable to Elias' next waiver claim or cheap pick up IMO.

The Orioles agree with you.  They are hoping to get Diaz to AAA.   He hasn't hit.   He has some talent.   He has some interesting numbers in AAA where he has hit.   Now, when they designate him again, there is a better chance he makes it past the Braves and every other team and they can finally send him down to Norfolk.   He's only 26.   He hit 39 homes in a little over a season's worth of games in AAA.    He's a gold glove potential 1B from all reports.     IF he can tighten up his plate discipline a little more he might be a nice pickup.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The Orioles agree with you.  They are hoping to get Diaz to AAA.   He hasn't hit.   He has some talent.   He has some interesting numbers in AAA where he has hit.   Now, when they designate him again, there is a better chance he makes it past the Braves and every other team and they can finally send him down to Norfolk.   He's only 26.   He hit 39 homes in a little over a season's worth of games in AAA.    He's a gold glove potential 1B from all reports.     IF he can tighten up his plate discipline a little more he might be a nice pickup.

Those last six words summarize the Orioles' off-season so far, other than the addition of McCann: "he might be a nice pickup."

Just now, spiritof66 said:

Those last six words summarize the Orioles' off-season so far, other than the addition of McCann: "he might be a nice pickup."

I think of someone like Diaz more like Mateo than established major league players like Frazier, Gibson, etc.

Unlike with Mateo, we can't throw Diaz out there at the ML level and give him loads of AB's to see if he can find himself.   

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I think of someone like Diaz more like Mateo than established major league players like Frazier, Gibson, etc.

Unlike with Mateo, we can't throw Diaz out there at the ML level and give him loads of AB's to see if he can find himself.   

But Diaz can rack up a ton of ST ABs. Right now our system lacks depth at 1B, C, CF, SP, and LH Reliever. I like Diaz. I like his tools. I just don’t like the idea of having a 1B that has to bat 8th in a lineup when we’re looking to make the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

But Diaz can rack up a ton of ST ABs. Right now our system lacks depth at 1B, C, CF, SP, and LH Reliever. I like Diaz. I like his tools. I just don’t like the idea of having a 1B that has to bat 8th in a lineup when we’re looking to make the playoffs. 

IF he was on the roster, he'd hardly play.   You know Mountcastle is going to play 140-150 games.    Diaz would be a defensive replacement, once a week starter.   They probably prefer to have a veteran in that type of role.   I think they prefer to try and get Diaz to AAA and get him regular AB's in the hope that the light bulb goes on.

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

IF he was on the roster, he'd hardly play.   You know Mountcastle is going to play 140-150 games.    Diaz would be a defensive replacement, once a week starter.   They probably prefer to have a veteran in that type of role.   I think they prefer to try and get Diaz to AAA and get him regular AB's in the hope that the light bulb goes on.

Why would they keep a second 1B just to play 10-20 games with no other position? I'd rather use the spot on Vavra who can cover additional positions and may be a better hitter given an opportunity. 

31 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Why would they keep a second 1B just to play 10-20 games with no other position? I'd rather use the spot on Vavra who can cover additional positions and may be a better hitter given an opportunity. 

They have no need for a utility player. Vavra can’t play SS at the MLB level. 

The other 1B is McCann. Not exactly good to have your backup C be your only 1B option. 

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

They have no need for a utility player. Vavra can’t play SS at the MLB level. 

The other 1B is McCann. Not exactly good to have your backup C be your only 1B option. 

Urias, Vavra, and Westburg could also play 1B if needed. If Mouncastle is injured and needs to miss a couple weeks we could always call Diaz up. I don't see the need for a dedicated backup defensive 1B taking up a roster spot. I'd rather have a guy who can hit and/or play the field in a variety of positions. As it is Diaz seems like a worse version of Nevin.