John Angelos: Mike Elias “going to be here a long time, and so is Sig (Mejdal) and all the folks”

Frobby

I just want a long term lease signed and I don't understand why it has taken this long to happen if the team is truly "Of the City". This offseason has made me give up all hope of having an even league average payroll anytime in the near future and I definitely don't see Angelos being more transparent after this debacle. The only glimmer of hope I have is knowing that the family hired GS to assess a potential sale meaning it's as close to happening as it's ever been. Doesn't mean it will but the possibility is there. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It kind of echoes the press release they put out when they hired Perry:

“Today, I am extremely proud to announce that yet another highly sought-after, world-class executive from the entertainment, sports, or media industries has accepted my invitation to join the Orioles, as the Club continues to recruit the most talented, forward-thinking individuals inside or outside of MLB and the media space,” said Orioles Chairman and CEO John Angelos. “During his two decades covering the world’s biggest stories for the most prestigious media organizations, including CNN, MSNBC, and Al Jazeera, Cal Perry’s reputation as a master storyteller and journalist who brings his audience to the front lines of generational news and human-interest stories, from middle America to the Middle East, is unmatched. Cal joins the Orioles’ Senior Leadership Team at a transformational moment, when there are countless stories to tell, memories to make, and visitors to attract to this community as we expand the Club’s on-field progress and important leadership role in helping the City of Baltimore reach its full potential.”

https://www.mlb.com/press-release/press-release-orioles-name-cal-perry-senior-vice-president-and-chief-content-off

I’d call it long-winded and a bit overblown.  

He made a nice press release speech about Vildalin and he was gone in about eight months  His name was off the Orioles website and poof,gone.

joins Orioles

Veteran sports executive John Vidalin joins Orioles

The Orioles announced today that JOHN VIDALIN will join the organization as Chief Operating Officer for Business Operations.

July 3rd, 2018

The Orioles announced today that JOHN VIDALIN will join the organization as Chief Operating Officer for Business Operations. Vidalin will oversee day-to-day operations of the Orioles' business departments, including revenue (ticket sales and corporate partnerships), branding, customer experience, ballpark operations, and event development. Vidalin will officially join the organization in early August.

"John's senior executive experience working for some of the most iconic sports team brands and most-respected organizations across the world's top sports leagues make him the ideal choice to oversee our talented business division in further developing our Orioles and Oriole Park brands in the years to come," said JOHN ANGELOS, Orioles Executive Vice President. 

I thought long term contracts were too risky for the Orioles? Who approved this nonsense?!?

I expect to see Elias walk as soon as he possibly can. For his sake, I hope he didn’t sign anything too long term. For me and the rest of the Orioles fan community, I hope he is here for the long haul. 

2 hours ago, waroriole said:

He sounds like an idiot. Plus, how dare he gives those quotes to Roch on MLK Day. 

I was half expecting to wake up this morning the the headline that John Angelos has legally changed his name to John X. Seriously though you know what's worse than someone asking a hard hitting question on MLK day? A WHITE billionaire acting all sanctimonious and trying to use the holiday as an excuse to not answer the question. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

I'd call it wildy dishonest about Cal Perry and Cal Perry's career.  

I dislike John Angelos' smug posturing as much as the next guy, but what was he supposed to do? Have someone write/publish a negative press release? Press releases are largely gloried fluff pieces that accentuate the positives and downplay or don't mention the negatives. 

Just now, HakunaSakata said:

I dislike John Angelos' smug posturing as much as the next guy, but what was he supposed to do? Have someone write/publish a negative press release? Press releases are largely gloried fluff pieces that accentuate the positives and downplay or don't mention the negatives. 

I don't need to beat a dead horse.  I made my objections and reasons clear in the original thread.

But what I want him to do is not hire such a character in the first place.

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I don't need to beat a dead horse.  I made my objections and reasons clear in the original thread.

But what I want him to do is not hire such a character in the first place.

I wasn't trying to get into the particulars of the hire, I was just making a point about press releases / new hire announcements in general.  There's no requirement for any MLB owners to be honest with their fan base. That's why it's so important to have independent reporters (i.e, not Roch) hold their feet to the fire. 

1 minute ago, HakunaSakata said:

I wasn't trying to get into the particulars of the hire, I was just making a point about press releases / new hire announcements in general.  There's no requirement for any MLB owners to be honest with their fan base. That's why it's so important to have independent reporters (i.e, not Roch) hold their feet to the fire. 

Well, Cal Perry's hire directly tells you that Angelos is interested in lying and not telling the truth, as lying is Perry's tools of the trade.

8 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Well, Cal Perry's hire directly tells you that Angelos is interested in lying and not telling the truth, as lying is Perry's tools of the trade.

I'm going to change the subject, since this seems to be heading down a bit of a bumpy road and point out that this is a must watch documentary for anyone who grew up in the area watching ACC basketball. It's LONG, but you can jump around and pick and choose the eras that interest you the most. My only gripe is that it was a bit too Duke/North Carolina centric. 

https://www.hulu.com/series/the-tournament-a-history-of-acc-mens-basketball-ec4fa342-ab47-4822-88f2-ebf34261da48

Edited by HakunaSakata
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I'm going to change the subject, since this seems to be heading down a bit of a bumpy road and point out that this is a must watch documentary for anyone who grew up in the area watching ACC basketball. It's LONG, but you can jump around and pick and choose the eras that interest you the most. My only gripe is that it was a bit too Duke/Tar Heel centric. 

https://www.hulu.com/series/the-tournament-a-history-of-acc-mens-basketball-ec4fa342-ab47-4822-88f2-ebf34261da48

MD leaving the ACC, and the general destruction of the classic conferences, has been a real shame imo.

What an arrogant putz: What really my litmus test [for hiring] is, are the people good people, do they have perspective, are they reliable, are they trustworthy, are they competent and capable in what they do? It just so happened that I had the good fortune to run into Mike Elias in 2018 and he checked all those boxes.

In reality: Elias, who replaces former executive vice president Dan Duquette atop the Orioles’ baseball operations hierarchy, was part of an exhaustive six-week search by executive vice president John Angelos and ownership representative Louis Angelos.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-mike-elias-bio-20181114-story.html

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

The hypocrisy is real with this John Angelos. I'm sure his propagandist is working hard though to try and spin this away from his train wreck of a press conference.

Then again, the entire press conference was called to pat himself on the back for his work instead of just releasing a press statement. He got on his high horse claiming how inappropriate a question was from Connolly (who was doing his job by asking a question to the ownership representative about more important things after being told he could ask questions) and then proceeds to talk about his propagandists hiring like they signed Bassitt. 

Can't make this stuff up. Well at least not yet! 

Perry as Toto pulls the curtain back, "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"

I doubt Jerry Hoffberger ever needed a media spinner.  Win a few championships and you have much less PR problems. 

1 hour ago, HakunaSakata said:

I was half expecting to wake up this morning the the headline that John Angelos has legally changed his name to John X. Seriously though you know what's worse than someone asking a hard hitting question on MLK day? A WHITE billionaire acting all sanctimonious and trying to use the holiday as an excuse to not answer the question. 

It wasn’t the day that was the issue, it was the occasion.  I don’t really blame Connolly for asking, because he doesn’t get any other chances.  But I also don’t blame Angelos for saying this isn’t the time.   He should have just left it at that.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1