Maybe Frazier can play

wildcard

I'd rather watch Urias over Frazier or Mateo, personally.

It'll be interesting seeing how they shuffle the infield, especially since Urias has pretty consistent reverse splits throughout his career.

Urias- Career  .776 OPS aginst RHP, .701 OPS against LHP 

Frazier- Career .749 OPS aginst RHP, .660 OPS against LHP 

Mateo- Career  .656 OPS aginst RHP,  .624 OPS against LHP 

The no shift is really going to help out LH Hitters. Frazier has good OBP skills. His LH power plays up at OPACY. He’s rock solid at 2B in a year where you need that more than every because of the no shift. 

He here now. Urias’ injury factored into his signing. We’re just going to see how everything shakes out in ST. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The no shift is really going to help out LH Hitters. Frazier has good OBP skills. His LH power plays up at OPACY. He’s rock solid at 2B in a year where you need that more than every because of the no shift. 

He here now. Urias’ injury factored into his signing. We’re just going to see how everything shakes out in ST. 

Since he's never hit more than 10 homeruns in a major league season, I would ask you: What LH power?

The shift may help him.  I'm not sure how big of a pull hitter he is. 

On 1/21/2023 at 4:40 PM, wildcard said:

Depends on what you mean by better.   Ortiz is probably more sure handed and will make less errors.   But Gunnar probably has more range than Ortiz.   Range will be important next season with the infield rule changes.

But then again that is why I think there will be an evaluation in ST to see who can do what.

Well, people who know more than us do not agree. Henderson grades as a 50 in fielding and is 210 pounds,  (bound to get heavier has he matures more) and Ortiz grades as a 65 in fielding and weighs 175 pounds.  ,,I do NOT see Hendeson having more range than Ortiz ,  ,,,,,, Holliday and Westburg  grade as a 55 in fielding and everyone else in the top 40 prospects are 50. .....https://www.mlb.com/prospects/2022/orioles/.......................................... Remember these mean :   70= plus plus,,,,,,, 65,,,,,,,,,,60= plus,,,,,,,,,55= above avg........50-= average. 

Ortiz is the best fielding SS candidate we have in our system.   Mateo graded out as a 50 field (average) as a 26 year old in San Diego, but with a incredible 80 speed.  ( cf   https://www.prospectslive.com/scoutingreports/jorge-mateo   ,  ) AND  yes he covers a lot of ground but does flub some routine plays.   "Field: Fluid athlete in the field that has familiarity with 2B, SS, and OF. Best asset is his speed, which allows him to cover a lot of ground; has plus range in both the infield and outfield. In the infield, he moves well laterally and looks comfortable at both 2B and SS. Plays with bounce and shows a willingness to charge the ball and lay out in either direction. He's still green in the outfield, and needs to work specifically on his routes and reads; both are currently below to fringe-average. As with every other facet of his game, he's aggressive and can make some difficult plays. He's probably an average fielder wherever he ends up, but has some additional upside due to his footspeed and overall athleticism. Grade: 50"   Batt?  grade 45? (more like a 40)

If we can trade Mateo and replace him with Ortiz, we will be a better defense.    Plus Ortiz, after getting over shoulder injuries, came alive at the plate the second half of 2022 in AA AND AAA ball.  He would likely be a 50 scale (average) hitter in MLB.

Edited by 2001OriolesFan

2 hours ago, TommyPickles said:

It'll be interesting seeing how they shuffle the infield, especially since Urias has pretty consistent reverse splits throughout his career.

Gunnar had an .872 OPS versus RHP.  You can see how Mateo could get squeezed out. 

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Not only is it better but it’s also a number where you don’t feel compelled to play the guy a lot.

And even if you want to say it takes more to him here, fine..3 or 4M compared to 8 is still way better.

I think he provides a little more versatility as well.   This would have been a decent signing...like you said...even at 4M.

2 hours ago, TommyPickles said:

30 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Gunnar had an .872 OPS versus RHP.  You can see how Mateo could get squeezed out. 

Gunnar's MiLB splits look much better vs. RHP too.  Only .502 vs. LHP in the minor last year (in very limited PAs).

But it does give a path to play the splits where Mateo sits some against RHP and Gunnar/Frazier sit some against LHP.

41 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I think he provides a little more versatility as well.   This would have been a decent signing...like you said...even at 4M.

I agree.  We overpaid for Frazier, but if we don't we could've lost him to another team.  He signed pretty quick in the offseason.  Nobody realizes how bad Urias hurt his knee because it was one of the last games of the season.  So we were aggressive in locking up 1 yr deal insurance policy.  

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Not only is it better but it’s also a number where you don’t feel compelled to play the guy a lot.

And even if you want to say it takes more to him here, fine..3 or 4M compared to 8 is still way better.

What are we talking about here?  To me, the issue with the Frazier signing is that I questioned the need to sign another 2B.  That issue applies to Harrison, as well.  The $8 million doesn't bother me.  For those that were concerned about Frazier's age (which seemed odd to me on a 1-year deal), Harrison is 4 years older.  Besides, whether I agree or not, the Orioles' stated need was for a LH hitter, which does apply to Frazier, not Harrison.  For another team to sign Harrison is of absolutely no concern to me.  No concern at all.  I really think some folks are going overboard turning every little piece of inconsequential news into another reason to bash the Frazier signing.  I get it, you disagree with the Frazier signing, but I think maybe applying a bit of perspective would help you.  I don't think anyone is excited by the Frazier signing, but let's not put it on a par with the Glenn Davis trade or the Chris Davis signing.  To me, the Frazier signing is a "meh", not the collapse of western civilization.

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

What are we talking about here?  To me, the issue with the Frazier signing is that I questioned the need to sign another 2B.  That issue applies to Harrison, as well.  The $8 million doesn't bother me.  For those that were concerned about Frazier's age (which seemed odd to me on a 1-year deal), Harrison is 4 years older.  Besides, whether I agree or not, the Orioles' stated need was for a LH hitter, which does apply to Frazier, not Harrison.  For another team to sign Harrison is of absolutely no concern to me.  No concern at all.  I really think some folks are going overboard turning every little piece of inconsequential news into another reason to bash the Frazier signing.  I get it, you disagree with the Frazier signing, but I think maybe applying a bit of perspective would help you.  I don't think anyone is excited by the Frazier signing, but let's not put it on a par with the Glenn Davis trade or the Chris Davis signing.  To me, the Frazier signing is a "meh", not the collapse of western civilization.

We are talking  about value and that if you are going to address second base with a vet for the time being, that you sign a cheaper guy who is just as good for half or more of the cost.

It’s the better and smarter move.

Edited by Sports Guy