Jackson Holliday 2023

Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

In most photos next to other players, he looks nothing like his listed 6’1 height. He’s probably 5’10-5’11 max. I do wonder why players exaggerate their size.

What percentage of drivers licenses height/weight would you guess are accurate?

Tinder profiles?

Why should players be any different?

17 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Still time to rally now that Jarlin Susana's done.     I see on base thrice and a SB with another PA to come against some low-A reliever.

Got on base 4 times tonight without getting the ball out of the infield.

Susana is quite impressive. He actually pitched instead of just throwing 100+ all night.

So I as at the game last night, and I was amazed at the plate discipline of Holliday.  I think he only swung at 3 or 4 pitches in his 5 at bats.  His called strikeout was on a questionable call.  You could tell he definitely didn't agree with the call.  Not much for him to do on defense but he did have to pick a few cutoffs and throws from the catcher that he does with ease and confidence.  Good base runner as he legged out an infield hit and stole second easily.  No doubt in my mind he is ready for a more advanced level.  Interesting note is that he and Basallo seemed to communicate about what the pitcher was like after Holliday's at bats. 

• Upvote 2

Prediction time!  I think most would agree that Holliday is probably the leader in the "most likely prospect to get promoted first" category.  So what you got?

O's tend to do promotions on Mondays (which makes sense).  I'm going with May 8.  That would give him 2 more full weeks after this one.

28 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Prediction time!  I think most would agree that Holliday is probably the leader in the "most likely prospect to get promoted first" category.  So what you got?

O's tend to do promotions on Mondays (which makes sense).  I'm going with May 8.  That would give him 2 more full weeks after this one.

Using the Gunnar measuring stick, he had 157 PAs in A ball before being promoted.  Jackson currently sits at 111 PAs.  Considering how strong he's played, I think 150 PAs is the ball park. 

4/24?!  5/8 would put him around the 150 marker.  

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

The O’s promoted Westburg and Monday after 20 games in 2021, and Kjerstad after 22 games last year.  So, that would argue in favor of May 1. 

On the other hand, Holliday is younger than those guys.   When Gunnar was at Delmarva, despite very good numbers he was kept there 35 games, 2-3 weeks behind teammates Westburg and Mundy.  So that would suggest mid-May.

I’m going with the earlier date, for two reasons.   First, Gunnar already played 12 games at Delmarva last year.   Second, his OBP is just ridiculous and it’s obvious he needs more of a challenge.  

In the interview he gave to MLB Pipeline last week, Holliday was asked if there was an aspect of pro ball he found easier than expected.  He answered that it was easier to draw walks than he thought it would be.  He’s now at 28 walks in 23 games there between 2022 and 2023.   So yeah, I’d say he needs more of a challenge.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, seak05 said:

He should be spending Monday looking for a place to live in Aberdeen, although I wouldn't be surprised if they waited another week or two

Maybe he could light a spark in the Aberdeen offense.  No one else seems to be hitting there.