Padres Finalizing Extension of Machado

justD

1 hour ago, geschinger said:

I wouldn’t have minded. The more massive contracts for players mid/late 30s years that that a team like the Yankees commit to, the better for the Orioles.

When this translates into us finishing ahead of them in the standings and going further in the playoffs than they do, then it will truly be "better" for the Orioles.  Until then, it really just doesn't matter.  

18 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

So .. in a completely different system than today … the New York Yankees from 1949-1964 won the AL pennant 14 of 16 years.  
And, of course, there were no divisions or playoffs so it was much much much more the case that every other city had ZERO chance than it is today. 

I don’t know anything about baseball in those years. My parents weren’t even alive yet. But to say that a $300 million pay roll and a $60 million pay roll are anywhere near the same starting line is disingenuous at best. I’m not saying it’s the Yankees fault or they’re ruining the game. They’ve actually done nothing wrong whatsoever in that regard. They have a larger marker, more money, and are more motivated to contend. The system that allows them to spend while other teams (like the O’s) are intentionally spending less than what they can manage is the issue for me. It’s the balance between the two where I think the game itself is eroding. From a business standpoint it’s arguable that the O’s aren’t necessarily doing anything wrong either. The owners want more money and since they’re the owners of the business so they can do what they want. 

11 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

When this translates into us finishing ahead of them in the standings and going further in the playoffs than they do, then it will truly be "better" for the Orioles.  Until then, it really just doesn't matter.  

You don’t have to look back too far to see how it translated in the past - look at the mid 2010s when Orioles were decent and the Yankees were old.  

52 minutes ago, geschinger said:

They don’t though.  They run those mid-30s players out there every day instead of upgrading at those positions (either internally or externally) and are worse for it.   Look at the production they got in the second half of Teixeira‘s contract and that one ended at age 36.  It would have been great for the Orioles if Boras had been able to have gotten him a 10+ year contract to take him into his late 30s instead of the 8 year deal he got.

That’s fair. I guess I should have said they just sign a new super star player to replace the production, not necessarily the player themselves.

21 minutes ago, geschinger said:

You don’t have to look back too far to see how it translated in the past - look at the mid 2010s when Orioles were decent and the Yankees were old.  

We have finished ahead of the Yankees in the standings exactly three times in the last thirty years (1997, 2014, 2016).  And they knocked us out of the playoffs both times we faced them (1996 and 2012).  I would certainly love to improve on those numbers going forward.  If they would ever finish under .500 (which hasn't happened since 1992), that would be even better.  

37 minutes ago, oriole said:

I don’t know anything about baseball in those years. My parents weren’t even alive yet. But to say that a $300 million pay roll and a $60 million pay roll are anywhere near the same starting line is disingenuous at best. I’m not saying it’s the Yankees fault or they’re ruining the game. They’ve actually done nothing wrong whatsoever in that regard. They have a larger marker, more money, and are more motivated to contend. The system that allows them to spend while other teams (like the O’s) are intentionally spending less than what they can manage is the issue for me. It’s the balance between the two where I think the game itself is eroding. From a business standpoint it’s arguable that the O’s aren’t necessarily doing anything wrong either. The owners want more money and since they’re the owners of the business so they can do what they want. 

There is no perfect balance in such a complex system as MLB .  But in general the system now allows all teams much more opportunity to be competitive than in the pre free agent days.  

7 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

We have finished ahead of the Yankees in the standings exactly three times in the last thirty years (1997, 2014, 2016).  And they knocked us out of the playoffs both times we faced them (1996 and 2012).  I would certainly love to improve on those numbers going forward.  If they would ever finish under .500 (which hasn't happened since 1992), that would be even better.  

If the Yankees get back to consistently blowing past the luxury tax (which they might with Cohen in Queens to be compared against) that scares me a lot less than the Yankees approach of the mid/late 90.

I have confidence that if Elias is allowed to ramp up to what Os payrolls were in the mid 2010s a well executed Houston model will produce more sustained success than any team loading up on long term deals that include mid/late 30s seasons.

• Upvote 1

I'm happy for Manny and anyone who isn't is just bitter and mad for all the wrong reasons. Not locking him up is probably the most egregious mistake the team has made in my lifetime. They had the heir apparent to Ripken and didn't prioritize signing him to a long term deal. It's still pretty hard to fathom.  

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m glad this means he won’t be a Yankee anytime soon. We should’ve just given him the Chris Davis contract and he would’ve been the next Cal. That’s where PA messed up. Manny should’ve been paid first, then Hardy, Weiters, Davis, O’day. SMH. We had too many cooks in the kitchen. 

The time to sign Manny to an early contract extension was following the 2013 season. It was only a matter of time waiting for Manny to leave with each passing season and no agreement on a new contract.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The time to sign Manny to an early contract extension was following the 2013 season. It was only a matter of time waiting for Manny to leave with each passing season and no agreement on a new contract.

I'd have tried to do it when he was rehabbing after his first knee surgery.

Promise him guaranteed money when he's laid up.