2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

That’s a fair point.  I took his comments at face value but I suppose there may be more to the decision.  I am simply baffled at letting these guys rot at the expense of Mateo and Frazier who simply aren’t producing at levels necessary for a playoff caliber team.  My frustration is boiling over.   They aren’t THAT young anymore as far as prospects go.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

For those calling for Mateo’s replacement by Ortiz, what do you think of the idea/possibility of moving Gunnar to SS for the rest of the season and Urias to 3B? I’m wondering if Urias would be able to produce more offensively than Ortiz (if he can’t be traded in a package for something valuable to add to the MLB roster)?

I wanna see guys get opportunities and go with the hot hand. Preferably, we see Frazier traded and call up Ortiz and Westburg, while sending down Lester. Henderson can play SS and 3B, depending on who else plays. There’s no reason Hyder couldn’t find enough playing time for Gunnar, Urias, Westburg, Ortiz, and Mateo. You have 3 IF positions plus DH. Also, 1B should be open to Urias too. 

8 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I wanna see guys get opportunities and go with the hot hand. Preferably, we see Frazier traded and call up Ortiz and Westburg, while sending down Lester. Henderson can play SS and 3B, depending on who else plays. There’s no reason Hyder couldn’t find enough playing time for Gunnar, Urias, Westburg, Ortiz, and Mateo. You have 3 IF positions plus DH. Also, 1B should be open to Urias too. 

I don’t see how Frazier has any trade value. I just don’t. Many fans/posters wondered why we have him 8 million and thought that we overpaid to begin with. Now most want him gone mid season (unsurprisingly). Why would another team (contender) want him at that salary? He’s not even a league average player. Average defense with a sub .300 OBP.

As far as the others go, IMO it’s been for the young guys development to get consistent reps and ABs. Mateo is not in any way an asset right now offensively. We don’t need to rotate him in with the other more useful/productive players. He needs to be a bench player and occasional starter (like once a week). 

Elias seems to be a very conservative/risk adverse GM. I don’t see him starting 3 rookies in the infield at once. 

Lastly, I don’t really like the suggestion of Urias at 1B. He doesn’t hit well enough for that position IMO. I think that we are better off using O’Hearns while he’s still hitting very well to take the reps against RHP and Santander can take the reps against LHP. 

6 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

This season is going to go south in a hurry if Elias doesn't trade for pitching and promote the AAA guys as soon as possible.

To get any good pitchers Elias will have to trade some of the AAA guys, unless he trades Santander or Hays.  Mateo and Frazier are just throw ins by now -- unless they're trades for change of scenery guys.

7 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

This season is going to go south in a hurry if Elias doesn't trade for pitching and promote the AAA guys as soon as possible.

How is he going to do all of both? In order to acquire pitching we will have to trade some or at least one of our AAA guys/more valued assets. Even if we could find a take for the likes of Mateo/Frazier/Urias, they going to bring back similar players of little value.

Just now, EddeeEddee said:

To get any good pitchers Elias will have to trade some of the AAA guys, unless he trades Santander or Hays.  Mateo and Frazier are just throw ins by now -- unless they're trades for change of scenery guys.

I agree. But it seems trading Hays and/or Santander for pitching would be sort of like “robbing Peter to pay Paul”. It’s not really a net gain.

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I agree. But it seems trading Hays and/or Santander for pitching would be sort of like “robbing Peter to pay Paul”. It’s not really a net gain.

Agree on Hays especially, but if people really feel Cowser is ready to take over for Santander -- though I don't think anyone really knows if he is -- then it could make sense to trade Santander for the right return.  It might take Santander and a couple of minor leaguers to get some arms that are any good.  I can't see Elias trading Santander but who knows?

9 hours ago, EddeeEddee said:

yep he will have to trade some and promote the rest.

Ortiz, Westburg, Cowser, and Herstad are all better then the guys playing on the 26

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

yep he will have to trade some and promote the rest.

Ortiz, Westburg, Cowser, and Herstad are all better then the guys playing on the 26

Not 100% sure about Ortiz but the other 3, yes. The Orioles are definitely showing signs of fading the past few weeks. We have the reinforcements in the minors --- bring them up.  

For all the talk about not having a lot of rookies all playing together- the Cincinnati reds have 4 rookies in their starting lineup most days. And ironically enough those guys have been the ones to help spark their recent run.

And when you look at it:

McClain is a solid comp for Westburg/Ortiz in terms of age and rank.

Elly is a solid comp for Gunnar in terms of age and rank.

Cowser is ranked far better than Steer.

We could easily start Gunnar, Cowser, Westburg/Ortiz and be just as well off (probably better) as we are now. They are not REALLY blocked when you look at the production of Frazier and Mateo and really Hicks should drop off a bit and settle in as a great 4th OF. It is increasingly frustrating watching this roster when we have 7-10 guys out of 26 that are easily replaceable.

If Mateo/Urias/Frazier were all lighting the world on fire I understand the sentiment not to replace them with unproven rookies. But, although its beating a dead horse of most everyone here, with our roster this is not the case. 

Edited by terpoh
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1