2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

Not related to tonight's lineup, but in general, who now feels Cowser would be better served getting his confidence back in Norfolk rather than watching from the dugout half the time?  (yes, I know we're short outfielders, but I'm talking about him getting at bats somewhere).  That way, we could have Brett Phillips who CAN play defense and not hit 🙂

16 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Not related to tonight's lineup, but in general, who now feels Cowser would be better served getting his confidence back in Norfolk rather than watching from the dugout half the time?  (yes, I know we're short outfielders, but I'm talking about him getting at bats somewhere).  That way, we could have Brett Phillips who CAN play defense and not hit 🙂

Brett Phillips is now in AAA for the Angels.

Just now, Sanity Check said:

Wow, how telling is it that O'Hearn is in right field, McKenna is in center and Cowser not in the lineup at all?

I'm not complaining or second-guessing this at all, just pointing out this this speaks volumes about Cowser  - and how the Orioles see him right now.

I think it shows that, like most teams, they don't care as much about defense as they say they do.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I kind of feel like Hays needs a day off.  He’s really been scuffling the last 5 weeks or so.  Right now, he’s lunging at pitches and hitting tons of ground balls when he’s not striking out.  He needs a reset.  

What's strange to me is how he loves to hammer inside pitches, yet he stands way off the plate.  On many of his grounds ball, he should have been trying to take them to right field, but he's rolling over on those pitches.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it shows that, like most teams, they don't care as much about defense as they say they do.

If O'Hearn and Frazier can "handle" (and I use that term loosely) the outfield, then send Cowser down to get right again....like they're trying to do with Wells and Baker.

Sitting isn't helping.....and clearly, playing at this level isn't either.

Hays or McKenna get center field, and we just have to be happy with it (like me having to eat my peas as a kid, I was going to eat them, and be happy about it 🤓)

3 minutes ago, EdwinRip said:

I believe Hicks can return from the IL tomorrow.  This is Cowser’s last day on the big league club this year barring injuries assuming Hicks returns.

That's a bold prediction, and you just might be right about that....except maybe as a September callup just to be "present and available".

17 minutes ago, EdwinRip said:

I believe Hicks can return from the IL tomorrow.  This is Cowser’s last day on the big league club this year barring injuries assuming Hicks returns.

Haven't heard any indication Hicks is close to coming back.

42 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Wow, how telling is it that O'Hearn is in right field, McKenna is in center and Cowser not in the lineup at all?

I'm not complaining or second-guessing this at all, just pointing out this this speaks volumes about Cowser  - and how the Orioles see him right now.

Cowser is having very ineffective plate appearances.   He's taking too many pitches and digs himself a hole.   He's really not making good contact frequently, either.  I have not given up on him by any stretch, but he's been less than impressive offensively and defensively from what I've seen of him.

38 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Cowser simply hasn't hit.   He's at -0.9 WAR in just 63 plate appearances.   That's hard to do!   Doesn't mean he won't, but we are in a pennant race.   He would have been sent back down if Mullins and Hicks both hadn't gotten hurt.   There's nothing wrong with being sent back down.   Cedric Mullins got sent down and when he came back up he's put up 12 WAR in 4 years since (including a 60 game season and this season which is just 108 games old, so basically that's 12 WAR in 3 full seasons). 

Cowser will play some becuase he has to right now, while HIcks and Mullins are out.   And we'll see what he'll do with those opportunities.   It doesn't help that his defense has not been particularly great too.