Grayson Rodriguez 2023

Just Regular

Grayson will start until Bradish is ready, but after that, it's going to depend on if he can find that command. We see the stuff and obviously the fastball is very good, but his inability to put hitters away with two strikes, despite the six Ks, is a concern. Luckily, it's command related and the hope is that command will improve, but he has not been the same guy since the injury command wise.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Grayson will start until Bradish is ready, but after that, it's going to depend on if he can find that command. We see the stuff and obviously the fastball is very good, but his inability to put hitters away with two strikes, despite the six Ks, is a concern. Luckily, it's command related and the hope is that command will improve, but he has not been the same guy since the injury command wise.

Has he changed his wind up or anything else after the injury?

I think it would be good to let Grayson get starts against this weak stretch of the schedule. Let him pitch against teams like the A's, Tigers, etc... to get his feet wet. When we do send him down, please get his pitch count up to at least 100. I couldn't believe it when I heard on the broadcast last night that he hadn't thrown that many pitches in like two years. Insane. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Has he changed his wind up or anything else after the injury?

I haven't really studied the delivery pre and post injury so I can't say. I'm assuming it will improve since he did it before, just might take longer than any of us would like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I think it would be good to let Grayson get starts against this weak stretch of the schedule. Let him pitch against teams like the A's, Tigers, etc... to get his feet wet. When we do send him down, please get his pitch count up to at least 100. I couldn't believe it when I heard on the broadcast last night that he hadn't thrown that many pitches in like two years. Insane. 

I thought the same thing.  It's incredible really.  Dwight Gooden, as a 20 year old,  led the American League with 276.2 innings pitched.  Counting pitches is such junk science and all you end up doing is limiting the usage of your very best pitchers.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Do we think he's going to learn that in AAA? I think he's done overmatching AAA hitters, personally. I'd rather give him some OTJ training and let him take a few lumps against big league hitters. Hyde said more or less the same thing you did last night - lots of 2 strike counts, just needs to harness his stuff to put guys away. IMO, he was a handful of pitches away from a very nice start. I think it'd be a shame to send him down unless the wheels come off. I don't see anything close to that right now, just a young pitcher figuring out some of the final brush strokes.

• Upvote 1

I'm concerned he's not putting guys away at 2 strikes. The top pitching prospect in the game should be blowing by guys when you get to 2 strikes. Granted, a lot of that has been hanging breaking balls or down the middle fastballs.

I liked what I saw last night, mostly.  You can see the talent is there and that he's not exactly far from being where he needs to be in order to become a great pitcher.  It is a bit concerning, however, that the injury last year seems to have wreaked havoc on his command.  I'm not sure what an oblique injury would do to his command.

1 hour ago, ExileAngelos said:

I thought the same thing.  It's incredible really.  Dwight Gooden, as a 20 year old,  led the American League with 276.2 innings pitched.  Counting pitches is such junk science and all you end up doing is limiting the usage of your very best pitchers.

Everyone likes to point to Dwight Gooden's cocaine use as a reason for his downfall and it certainly played a part of it.  But he also had arm issues, particularly because he had so many innings on his arm so early.  As far as I know, cocaine doesn't have anything to do with arm injuries, which he suffered from.  

All told between minors and majors, he had 1,792 innings on his arm by the time his age 26 season rolled around.  That's a lot.

I do believe that the baseball thought pendulum has gone too far in the other direction in regards to pitch counting.  I remember when Mussina and McDonald were pitching, 120 was their limit.  Now, anything over 100 is cause for outrage.

IMO, it doesn't matter what you do, how many times a guy is pulled from a start before he hits 100 pitches, whatever...an arm only has so many bullets in it before it gives out.  Sometimes you get lucky with a Nolan Ryan, a Max Scherzer, a Justin Verlander...guys who can throw hard and do it for a long time (yes, I know Verlander had Tommy John but he bounced back phenomenally).  Or you get a guy like Dwight Gooden who ran out of ammo by the time he was 30 or so.

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Do you mean 9 two-strike baserunners?  I was at the game and It seemed like every single hitter was at two strikes.  Kind of frustrating.  Grayson is close, but not quite there.   Keep putting him out there.  

Correct. That is what the tv broadcast said. 

It seemed like he was trying to throw too many pitches and get too cute. He was trying to throw 4-4 different pitches but not having command over 1. 
I thought Adley would help, but maybe he was shaking him off. 

I know this might sound like a crazy idea, but pitching out of the bullpen would help him. He can learn how to finish off MLB hitters. 

Oakland has basically a AAA lineup. I’d argue that Norfolk’s lineup is much better. 

They've already said they're not going to bring him or Hall out of the pen. They want to treat SP like SP.

You can watch all of the hits here - https://www.mlb.com/video/?q=PitcherId+%3D+[680570]+AND+HitResult+%3D+["Hit"]+AND+GameType+%3D+["REGULAR_SEASON"]+AND+Season+%3D+[2023]+Order+By+Timestamp+DESC

He was just missing spots on 5 of the 6 hits. On the last one, it was low and away, out of the zone and the batter just flicked it to LF.

He's not that far away. He was in pitcher's counts a ton last night and he was just tired in the 5th.

I hope they keep him up and keep giving him starts.

Pretty good article here:  Jon Meoli: Grayson Rodriguez’s home debut presented a compelling case for him to stay with the Orioles all season

“Hopefully, he learns from that,” Hyde said. “The guy’s throwing 98 [mph] with a good slider and a really good changeup. There’s places to go when you’re ahead in the count to get an easy out or get a punchout. A little tough time doing that tonight.”

“The mistakes are amplified,” Rodriguez said. “These guys can hit — it doesn’t matter who you’re playing against. They’re big-league caliber players, they can get the barrel on the baseball. If you’re 0-2 and they’re in protect mode and your pitch is too close to the zone, they’re going to swing at it and probably hit it.”

“I think we made some mistakes 0-2, throwing pitches too close to the zone,” Rodriguez said. “Obviously, had to pay the price for it. Big league hitters will put the barrel on it and get a hit.”

When the Toronto Blue Jays came to town last August, I spent some time with Kevin Gausman — a pitcher whose introduction to the majors in the Buck Showalter-era Orioles was choppy at best. He started and relieved, he was optioned and called back up, and forced to learn about the business of the game at a time when he should have been learning, simply, about being as effective as he could be at playing it.

It took him getting out of Baltimore, bouncing around, and ending up with a team that accentuated his best traits to become the starter the Orioles envisioned he’d be a decade earlier when selected fourth overall, but his thoughts on player development were simple: to truly figure the game out, a pitcher has to pitch against the best hitters.

“That’s what I try to tell these young guys: The only way you’re going to gain knowledge is just by getting out here,” Gausman told me, motioning to the field at Camden Yards.

Right now, that’s the best place for Rodriguez, and the Orioles know that being at the highest appropriate level and facing top competition is about as effective a way for a player to improve as there is. They move minor leaguers up aggressively through the farm system on the hitting side, at least; their moderation when it comes to pushing pitchers as quickly has always seemed to stem from wanting to keep them healthy as opposed to a different developmental philosophy.

Edited by Goober Noodles