Dean Kremer 2023

Just Regular

15 hours ago, interloper said:

Yes, I will most of the time be rooting for Orioles pitchers to get bounced ASAP in the WBC lol. 

Hitters is different. I could get behind Mullins tearing up a long stretch of USA baseball. Much less risk there. I'm rooting for Mullins to pull in his own Jones/Manny robbery. 

Throwing 65 pitches in a spring training game and in WBC is literally of no difference, except he will be facing better players in the WBC than fringe minor leaguers every other at bat. He will get 1 start unless they pull off a couple miracle victories, in which would mean Kremer likely pitched lights out. If he pitches ugly they'll be bounced, i prefer Kremer to succeed not get rocked. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Winter said:

Throwing 65 pitches in a spring training game and in WBC is literally of no difference, except he will be facing better players in the WBC than fringe minor leaguers every other at bat. He will get 1 start unless they pull off a couple miracle victories, in which would mean Kremer likely pitched lights out. If he pitches ugly they'll be bounced, i prefer Kremer to succeed not get rocked. 

I might argue that he'll be more amped up and throwing max effort for a game that matters versus one that doesn't. But hopefully it's no big deal. My preference is that he pitches well and they still lose, but I'm not worrying about it too much. 

On 3/8/2023 at 1:49 PM, interloper said:

I might argue that he'll be more amped up and throwing max effort for a game that matters versus one that doesn't. But hopefully it's no big deal. My preference is that he pitches well and they still lose, but I'm not worrying about it too much. 

Does it REALLY matter though? 😉

Edited by PHRESH

5 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Just scanned Israel's exhibition box scores yesterday and today, and they did not use him, hinting perhaps he'll throw one of the earlier games Sunday or Monday.

Yep, I believe he has actually been announced for Sunday vs Nicaragua.

So my speculation he would be saved for a "better" opponent was wrong.

Game is on NOW...there is Statcast.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/gamefeed?gamePk=719508

Has covered first two innings in 27 pitches, so like Julio Urias the other day, he might attain 15 outs with continued effectiveness.

3rd inning pitches 28-40 - stressful at-bat 1st and 3rd, 2 out against Cheslor Cuthbert, the one MLB name I recognize in Nicaragua's lineup.   He struck him out.

It will be mostly bottom of the order if he can get 6 more outs.

The Bettings Odds scroll informs me on paper Nicaragua is as much of an underdog as Israel.    In this game Joc Pederson is being praised as a "smooth centerfielder".

4th inning pitches 41-49 vs. middle/bottom of order - this matches my template for what a qualified MLB pitcher against a NCAA lineup would approximately look like.     8th and 9th hitters still to go through if he gets the 5th.

Edited by Just Regular
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not a good first start on 2023 for Kremer. 5 ER in three innings, 36 strikes and 20 balls. 3 Ks and 1 BB. He was handed a 7-1 lead going into the bottom of the 3rd, and proceeded to walk the Red Sox #9 hitter leading off the inning*.  Boston then scored four runs to get right back in the game. Kremer was mercifully removed after getting out of the 3rd. 

* if I were emperor of the world I’d make walking the #9 hitter  leading off an inning a death penalty offense. 

Edited by ShoelesJoe
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On paper, Dean Kremer’s second start doesn’t look that good, 4 ER in 5 IP.   But I thought he pitched better than his line showed.  He hadn’t allowed a run through 3.2 innings, but then Mateo couldn’t quite get to a grounder a bit the the right of 2B that ticked off his glove, then Kremer walked Trevino, and made his one big mistake of the night, serving up a hanging slider/cutter that Cordero hammered for a three run homer.   The other run charged to Kremer was the result of a leadoff single in the 6th by Stanton, who blooped a pitch that jammed him into LF, where Hays understandably was playing deep.   Kremer was pulled at that point and Gillaspie allowed the run to score,  as well as one of his own.  Overall, I’d call it a decent start by Kremer against a powerful Yankee lineup.  

I thought he had better composure than usual. It looked like he got squeezed by the home plate umpire in the first inning. Several pitches at the knees and in the tv box were called balls. He went after Judge and got him. It looked like he pitched around Cordero his first time up, the second time up he couldn't do it. I agree, let a reliever come in clean in an inning unless you have a decisive matchup.

Not sure if anybody has mentioned it yet, either here or in the game threads, but Kremer's velocity looks like it's a tick higher than it's been in years past. I've always thought of him as a low-90's guy, but the last two games, I've seen him hit 96 and 97 on the fastball. Taking a look at Fangraphs, it seems that the data bears this out. Looks like he's been sitting around 95, touching 96 and 97.

image.thumb.png.01fd44727eaf199a907e1aae86790be6.png

• Thanks 2