Baltimore Sun on John Angelos being transparent

Going Underground

First, it was “next week.” Then, it was “before spring training is over.” Now, Orioles CEO and Chairman John Angelos has self-imposed two deadlines to go over the team’s finances with Baltimore reporters and has twice failed to follow through.

An Orioles spokesperson did not respond to multiple requests for comment from either the team or Angelos as to why the meeting has yet to take place.

Orioles CEO John Angelos again whiffs on self-imposed deadline to share club’s finances | ANALYSIS – Baltimore Sun
https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-john-angelos-financial-meeting-20230329-ceprzpfx3raqljsiemolyx3j34-story.html

Edited by Going Underground

“When I say something — like I’m gonna sit down with you guys, explain the business from my perspective — I’m gonna do it,” Angelos said at the Orioles’ spring training complex in February. “I’m not gonna say it and walk away from it.”

The Orioles, though, begin the regular season Thursday, and Angelos has yet to come anywhere close to being as transparent as he claims to be. While there are undoubtedly insights to be gleaned from the team’s financial information, it’s also significant that the person running the organization has repeatedly spewed falsehoods about actions he intends to take. The leap between “Angelos lied about ‘X,’ so he must be lying about ‘Y’” is a massive one. But when Angelos has twice looked media members in the eyes, told them he would do something, then did not, it invites questions of what else he has been insincere about.

• Going Underground changed the title to Baltimore Sun on John Angelos being transparent

From Rosenthal's article that was posted this morning - Completely unserious Opening Day predictions for every MLB team in 2023.

https://theathletic.com/4358731/2023/03/29/rosenthal-unserious-mlb-predictions-2023/

Chairman and CEO John Angelos, enraged by Opening Day sky writing that says, “MASN: Millions Angelos Spends Never,” again promises to open the team’s books — on Memorial Day, when he says it would be “inappropriate” for reporters to scan the contents.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

From Rosenthal's article that was posted this morning - Completely unserious Opening Day predictions for every MLB team in 2023.

https://theathletic.com/4358731/2023/03/29/rosenthal-unserious-mlb-predictions-2023/

Chairman and CEO John Angelos, enraged by Opening Day sky writing that says, “MASN: Millions Angelos Spends Never,” again promises to open the team’s books — on Memorial Day, when he says it would be “inappropriate” for reporters to scan the contents.

I can't believe this guy is that much of a dummy to come out and make promises to the media about what they can "review"... complete with deadlines.

The correct answer is, "That's none of your business, lil Kenny."

At the end of the day, they are a privately held limited partnership. He is in no way obligated or required to share jack with anyone. There's a reason his old man never really spoke to the media aside from a few prepared remarks. 

No one's surprised.

Two things could be happening here:  the most likely possibility is that Angelos is blowing this off.  Or, he's planning on holding true to his word but doing some sort of "book cooking" where he can make the books say what he wants them to say and provide a well rehearsed narrative to the media.   

10 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

Good on The Sun for calling him out.

Not that I think this will change anything, but he raises the fair point that if he’s untruthful about this, why should we believe other claims he’s made like that the team is staying in Baltimore?

He doesn't have the ability to move the team.

Also, he's getting a huge bribe in the near future.

The team isn't going anywhere.

Anyone think Nashville is going to spend a billion or so on a new stadium in this economy?

I don't give a 'rat's ass" about this crap - whether he opens books or not. Tired of the Soap Opera Angelos - had over three decades too much of that show. Until this team is sold and there is another owner to complain about, it is what it is. Time to pull for the guys in the dugout. 

• Like 1

He’s a liar who is trying to gather favor with local liberal politicians, ones who share his political beliefs, and is using the team as his pawn in whatever game is trying to play.  That’s why he made that donation and why he’s kissing Moore’s ass. It’s not for the team, state or organization. It’s for him.

This was the exact outcome all of us thought would occur after he went off on Connolly.  

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

He doesn't have the ability to move the team.

Also, he's getting a huge bribe in the near future.

The team isn't going anywhere.

Anyone think Nashville is going to spend a billion or so on a new stadium in this economy?

The Nashville Warblers would make another good ornithological mascot, although the bird is not nearly as jazzy as a Baltimore Oriole. 
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Nashville_Warbler/overview

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

He really looks like a fool and a liar for the way he’s handled this.  And it’s an entirely self-inflicted wound.   

That isn't fair.  Someone handed him the scissors he's currently running with.

If those darn media people had simply not asked any questions of his lordship this wouldn't be happening.

• Upvote 1