Adam Frazier 2023

Frobby

7 hours ago, LA2 said:

Thanks for saving me the research time

It depends on what it is. There are a ton of things worth researching - lefty/righty, type of pitch, even early season vs late season, on and on. But to believe that because some pattern occurred in hitting performance in the past on a May/June/July basis that is anything more than coincidence seems very unlikely.  If there is a logical cause that might create a pattern, then I am all for it. If I were building a forecast model, adding that data obviously gives you a better historical fit but it almost certainly gives you a worse model from a forecasting standpoint.

Why is there no love for guys like Frazier or McKenna? I get it … you want to see the young guys at AAA called up and playing and see Frazier and McKenna essentially blocking the path of guys like Ortiz and Cowser.

I see these guys as vets on a team trying to make the playoffs and beyond. Those young guys will get their chance at some point, probably not this year. Can’t we just support Frazier and McKenna?  Heck I remember all the griping when we signed Hicks but that turned around quickly. Maybe Elias has a better idea than some of you. 

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Os4days said:

Why is there no love for guys like Frazier or McKenna? I get it … you want to see the young guys at AAA called up and playing and see Frazier and McKenna essentially blocking the path of guys like Ortiz and Cowser.

I see these guys as vets on a team trying to make the playoffs and beyond. Those young guys will get their chance at some point, probably not this year. Can’t we just support Frazier and McKenna?  Heck I remember all the griping when we signed Hicks but that turned around quickly. Maybe Elias has a better idea than some of you. 

We should still support whoever is on the team but most guys want to see players who have a future with the club.

On 6/24/2023 at 6:22 AM, Moose Milligan said:

No doubt the ball was smashed but Frazier was there. 

At any rate, our offense was flaccid last night. I don’t think we win that game anyway. 

Ya think?

I was glad to see Frazier contribute to yesterdays win with two hits, a walk, an RBI and a run scored.  Hopefully that signals an end to his offensive funk.  

I had a back and forth with this guy on Twitter and he was making some good points about Frazier. One thing in particular is how similar he is to Merrifield in terms of statcast yet Merrifield has a 352 BABiP and 295 BA.

Now, Frazier has a high FB/HR% (relative to his career) and his IFFB% is very low, so he has had his share of some luck too.

But guys like this, players who put the ball in play, can have good things happen to them but they need to “get lucky” to get a lot of hits because they don’t hit it hard all over the field. They need to “find holes”. 

That said, it’s probably fair to say that Frazier’s current BA is a bit unlucky and we should expect to see it get higher.

OTOH, it wouldn’t shock me if the slugging got worse and other batted ball stats normalize some. 

His xBA of 280 is good to see but I don’t think it’s representative of a BA I would expect to see him end up with.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He showed last night why I prefer him here over Mateo, if it comes down to only having one or the other, which it should because of Ortiz but it doesn’t seem like they are going to go in that direction.

Part time player is a perfect role for him in my opinion. I would be just fine seeing him pinch hit late in a game. I guess the question becomes if you move on from Mateo in lieu of Ortiz, who is your infield bench? Does Mateo stay? Or are you okay with Westburg/Henderson being your “backup ss”?

6 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

Part time player is a perfect role for him in my opinion. I would be just fine seeing him pinch hit late in a game. I guess the question becomes if you move on from Mateo in lieu of Ortiz, who is your infield bench? Does Mateo stay? Or are you okay with Westburg/Henderson being your “backup ss”?

Don't see why Henderson can't be the backup SS. Or Westburg for that matter.

53 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I like Frazier better as a lefty PH. I like Mateo as a pinch runner and defense guy. I could see both guys having a role. If forced to choose that's a tough one but Mateo has team control and could continue to help us in '24. 

For financial reasons, I don't think Frazier is here next year. Would be great if Mateo learns to be a good outfielder. Don't forget he led the league in stolen bases last season.

24 minutes ago, LA2 said:

For financial reasons, I don't think Frazier is here next year. Would be great if Mateo learns to be a good outfielder. Don't forget he led the league in stolen bases last season.

What is he going to do for us as an outfielder? Next season both Cowser and Kjerstad will have joined the club by then and the same crowding will be in the outfield that exists in the infield. 

IMO this is a good problem to have because cream always rises to the top. Unless they want to keep Mateo as a place holder for Jackson Holliday to begin next year, he really has no place on the team. With all the talent that way have and are organically adding, he really doesn’t have a place here much longer. He’s simply not good enough.