New rules impact on stolen bases

ChuckS

1 hour ago, Safelykept said:

Yes because very few steal as many as Mateo 

Right but he doesn't need help to become a 40 SB guy. Maybe Mateo goes from 40 to 45 where other guys go from 5 to 20. Just have to wait and see how it plays out. I don't think it follows that the faster guys will be helped the most, although that is a possibility 

The thing that stood out to me the most was the new pick off rule.

Frazier drew two pickoff attempts. Then, because of the new rules, he was able to take a ridiculous lead and steal 2nd without even bothering to slide. To me, this seems like it could have a bigger effect than it indended to. The percent of time catchers successfully throw out runners is going to fall dramatically.

At least we've got a superstar catcher and two of the best base-stealers in baseball to take advantage of these new rules.

13 hours ago, Jagwar said:

One random side effect of the pitch clock rule. 

Seemed like it totally changed the way the broadcast shows replays. It used to be they had all kinds of time to show different angles and perspectives. Now they had to pay attention to actual game play while showing replays in PiP displays

And they have to limit their mid inning pitches for their own upcoming giveaways, events, etc. I saw yesterday a few times where instead of giving a replay of a close play they went off to talk about some giveaway or plugging their "sky boxes". 

It really become quite annoying but I think this was more on the MASN director. Maybe if they actually did 5-7 broadcasts this spring they would have this worked out by now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

The thing that stood out to me the most was the new pick off rule.

Frazier drew two pickoff attempts. Then, because of the new rules, he was able to take a ridiculous lead and steal 2nd without even bothering to slide. To me, this seems like it could have a bigger effect than it indended to. The percent of time catchers successfully throw out runners is going to fall dramatically.

At least we've got a superstar catcher and two of the best base-stealers in baseball to take advantage of these new rules.

Remember, a pitcher could have still thrown over again, but if they didn't get him he would be awarded 2nd base. As for the Frazier steal, somebody should have yelled "Step off" because Frazier took over a good second or two before the pitcher delivered the ball. 

It appeared to me that several Boston relievers just weren't prepared well for the new rules.

One interesting note about the first day and stolen bases. For the most part, the players who seemed to benefit the most from the new rules were mostly players who already had a track record of stealing bases. I was kind of expecting more of a balanced increase with everyone so it will be interesting to see how that shakes out once we have larger sample size. 

4 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

While the argument may be “he can’t steal if he isn’t on base” is true, it could lead to more pinch running and possible roster construction considerations. Do you call up the power guy with ok defense, or the defensive replacement with blazing speed?

Absolutely.  I'd love Mateo off the bench as a pinch runner/defensive replacement/occasional starter.  Just don't like his bat enough to run him out there every day. 

30 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Remember, a pitcher could have still thrown over again, but if they didn't get him he would be awarded 2nd base. As for the Frazier steal, somebody should have yelled "Step off" because Frazier took over a good second or two before the pitcher delivered the ball. 

It appeared to me that several Boston relievers just weren't prepared well for the new rules.

Interesting. I didn’t know that.

43 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The step off would have been a disengagement though, right? He would have had to step off and then pick off Frazier. 

51 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

And they have to limit their mid inning pitches for their own upcoming giveaways, events, etc. I saw yesterday a few times where instead of giving a replay of a close play they went off to talk about some giveaway or plugging their "sky boxes". 

It really become quite annoying but I think this was more on the MASN director. Maybe if they actually did 5-7 broadcasts this spring they would have this worked out by now.

I personally think that at some point they are going to increase the pitch clock by 5 seconds. Might add 25 minutes to a game? (300 pitches x 5 seconds / 60) 

7 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I personally think that at some point they are going to increase the pitch clock by 5 seconds. Might add 25 minutes to a game? (300 pitches x 5 seconds / 60) 

I doubt they'll increase the default pitch clock time since that would do too much damage against the game time problem they're trying to solve. But I could see them getting a bit more generous about pausing the clock after things like wild pitches or awkward swings, or more generous about the 8 second rule on the batter that they called Devers out on yesterday.