Ryan McKenna 2023

OsFanSinceThe80s

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, he's everyone's favorite punching bag on here, but I'm a bit disappointed no one bumped this to give him props for the walkoff homer today.  Went with the pitch that was on the outer 3rd and hit a bullet for the game winning dinger.

Happy to see him have a moment of glory.

Ryan was due that moment of redemption. Weirdly, whenever the home team scores a ghost runner in extras, that just doesn’t feel like a real “walk-off” to me. But hitting a homer? Now that’s a walk-off. 

It was also cool to see Santander (who McKenna replaced) out there as one of the first guys to shout and clap him on the back at home plate. Hopefully the whole thing fires up the team.

Apparently he is loved in the clubhouse.   Elias and Co seem to be sensitive to this type of stuff at least while it is happening. See Odor, Rougned.

I called it,” Santander said proudly. “He’s an animal off the bench. That’s awesome. I’m so happy for him. He’s been ready all game. He really pays attention to the game. When his opportunity comes, he’s ready, and I’m so happy he hit that homer for us right there.”

“When you’re with him every day, you really appreciate how much energy he brings to our team,” Hyde said. “Just the kind of person he is is phenomenal. He’s a really good athlete, a great athlete, that has helped us the last couple years in a lot of ways. So fun to watch him get this moment today, and he’s earned it.” 

He’s a good guy to have come in late in ballgames, make plenty of good catches and kind of be a catalyst,” Kremer said. “He does a lot of stuff behind the scenes, in the dugout, as far as picking up guys over the course of the game. He’s a big part of this team.”

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-mariners-ryan-mckenna-walk-off-20230624-okph3uf4jjhvrophqx7oppdj6e-story.html

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

After the last few games  I have wondered if McKenna has turned a corner and is not necessarily an "automatic out:.

I think McKenna is better than Hicks at this point, but they're saying that Hicks will be activated for the Angels series.

McKenna: 118 AB, .693 OPS, 93 OPS+, 0.5 rWAR

Urias: 304 AB, .692 OPS, 92 OPS+, 1.8 rWAR

Honestly? Those are pretty appropriate numbers for a defensive 4th OF and defensive UTIL IF. I really have no problem with McKenna in his current role - he does pretty well with it. The problem becomes when he makes a bunch of starts over guys with higher ceilings. 

Edited by interloper

• 2 weeks later...