Samuel Basallo 2023

Tony-OH

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, this kid is unreal. Do any of you collect baseball cards? Not trying to gloat here, but I loaded up on a bunch of Basallo autographed cards right when the season began (including a 1 of 1) on the cheap before he got going. Very glad I did. Also was able to meet him at Twin Lakes at ST this year and was lucky enough to have him sign a ball. 

For those don’t collect or keep up with the latest in the hobby, his Bowman first autos come out in 23 Bowman Chrome that releases next week. Those will easily be his most desirable cards, easily eclipsing any previously released products he’s in (Panini Prizm and Onyx). I’m sure the Bowman 1sts will not be cheap. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, scarey1999 said:

Man, this kid is unreal. Do any of you collect baseball cards? Not trying to gloat here, but I loaded up on a bunch of Basallo autographed cards right when the season began (including a 1 of 1) on the cheap before he got going. Very glad I did. Also was able to meet him at Twin Lakes at ST this year and was lucky enough to have him sign a ball. 

For those don’t collect or keep up with the latest in the hobby, his Bowman first autos come out in 23 Bowman Chrome that releases next week. Those will easily be his most desirable cards, easily eclipsing any previously released products he’s in (Panini Prizm and Onyx). I’m sure the Bowman 1sts will not be cheap. 

He hasn’t had a Bowman before this year?

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

He hasn’t had a Bowman before this year?

Nope, not yet. His 1st will be auto only like Mayo in ‘21 Bowman Chrome. So fairly limited availability.

Almeyda will also have his 1st in it too, both auto and base. A few other Orioles in the checklist too, but they’re the biggest ones. 

Salas is in it also. He’s the biggest chase.

https://www.cardboardconnection.com/2023-bowman-chrome-baseball-cards

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

I don't know this for sure or have any insight at all.... and I'd say most O's fans were completely ignorant at the time of how that market worked (and who could blame us?)... but I got the impression at the time that Basallo came available late in the process because the Yanks reneged on their verbal agreement with him in order to sign someone they liked better. Maybe the O's were the right team to pick him up because other teams had likely committed most of their $$ to other verbal agreements.

I could be mis-remembering the timeline, but I remember thinking this at the time and guessing as to what happened, as he was a very well-regarded prospect that wasn't linked to us until late in the process.

This is my memory as well. Something from a national writer. Meoli said this:

Basallo was connected to the Yankees before he ended up signing with the Orioles as one of two seven-figure signings

Jon Meoli: How a young O's prospect is thriving in Low-A and could ‘just tear through the league’ - The Baltimore Banne

10 hours ago, scarey1999 said:

Glad there is another collector here. I mostly collect Bowman Firsts. I’ve been waiting forever for the licensed card to come out. Hopefully, I can get it cheap when it pops on eBay!

Edited by Chaka Garcia
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, scarey1999 said:

Nope, not yet. His 1st will be auto only like Mayo in ‘21 Bowman Chrome. So fairly limited availability.

Almeyda will also have his 1st in it too, both auto and base. A few other Orioles in the checklist too, but they’re the biggest ones. 

Salas is in it also. He’s the biggest chase.

https://www.cardboardconnection.com/2023-bowman-chrome-baseball-cards

I’m surprised that OH doesn’t have a trade/sell board for trading cards - would be a hit!

Edited by Chaka Garcia
  • Like 1

107 PA in A+, .326/.439/.652, good for a .471 wOBA and 187 wRC+. 16.8% BB%, 17.8% K%,  .326 ISO. 

This kid is the real deal at the plate. Even if they start him at A+ next year he’ll probably be there <100 PA. Then if he takes the Orioles’ “fast track” approach for prospects of ~200 PA and AA and AAA, he could be in line for a debut as early as September next year, right after his 20th birthday. 

More likely he’ll spend more time at either AA/AAA, if not both, and of course whatever they decide to do with him defensively could really affect his timetable. But he’s worn out his welcome at A+ in short order. 

16 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

107 PA in A+, .326/.439/.652, good for a .471 wOBA and 187 wRC+. 16.8% BB%, 17.8% K%,  .326 ISO. 

This kid is the real deal at the plate. Even if they start him at A+ next year he’ll probably be there <100 PA. Then if he takes the Orioles’ “fast track” approach for prospects of ~200 PA and AA and AAA, he could be in line for a debut as early as September next year, right after his 20th birthday. 

More likely he’ll spend more time at either AA/AAA, if not both, and of course whatever they decide to do with him defensively could really affect his timetable. But he’s worn out his welcome at A+ in short order. 

Many of the national talent evaluators have expressed concern that his catching skills lag considerably behind is offensive skills. 

Jim Bowden was rather straightfoward in his assessment:  “He has some work to do defensively at catcher and first base, but the bat plays. ”

https://theathletic.com/4836677/2023/09/06/mlb-top-prospects-2023-2024-bowden/?campaign=5888993&source=dailyemail

The Orioles seem to value defense especially up the middle and I wonder if his perceived defensive limitations may eventually make him move off catcher or, more likely, slow down his minor league progression.

Edited by Jim'sKid26

On 9/8/2023 at 9:15 AM, Chaka Garcia said:

Glad there is another collector here. I mostly collect Bowman Firsts. I’ve been waiting forever for the licensed card to come out. Hopefully, I can get it cheap when it pops on eBay!

I'm a huge Bowman 1st collector as well! Wish Basallo's 1st card had been released last year or earlier this year - I would have been able to pick up a lot more of his 1sts for way cheaper than they'll be!

• Like 1