Samuel Basallo 2023

Tony-OH

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd rather have the future catcher over the future non-catcher.  If Basallo doesn't stick at Catcher where is his future?  1B?  Right Field?

That's a pretty big difference.

And the O's are going to need a catcher in a few years.  (Creed Willems is having a rough time in Aberdeen ATM)

I think the only thing knocking Basallo off the C position would be if his bat is truly magical.  Having watched him play a good bit, he receives and blocks the ball well, and he has a cannon that is very accurate.  

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Correct.  I intentionally mixed max and avg EV to provide context of normal for a 19 y/o.  112 isn't normal, even for a MLBer.

112 EV is crazy, especially for the age.  When looking at EVs, to get a better sense of their true ability you want to look at 90th percentile EV.  That will give you a much better picture on who the batter actually is over avg. EV and max EV.  I don't know if those stats are available for the A ball guys. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I get these random emails from MLB in my inbox.  Some are team specific (pretty sure I never signed up to be on any Braves newsletters) but this one is from MLB Pipeline.  It was written by Jonathan Mayo, and he's projecting who the top 10 prospects will be in 2025:

He assumes that Skenes and Crews will have graduated by next year and have lost rookie status by then.  

Anyway, nice to see Basallo getting some recognition.

Salas @ #1 and Basallo @ #6.  That's the type of re-evaluation I'm expecting to see for Basallo this offseason.

35 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Salas hit 9 dingers and OPSd .837 while playing mostly as a 16 y/o this year.  He's 6'2'' ~190 an he turned 17 72 days ago.  He's gonna hit.  If you haven't seen his stroke, it's a thing of beauty.  

FFS, I forgot he was 16 for a portion of this season. What he is doing is nothing short of incredible.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's 2025 not 2024.

I saw that hence "that's the type of..."  Was the comment more an FYI?  Or some other point in there regarding the year?

Are you saying that means Basallo won't be eligible at that point!  :)  I kid...  

Just now, btdart20 said:

I saw that hence "that's the type of..."  Was the comment more an FYI?  Or some other point in there regarding the year?

Are you saying that means Basallo won't be eligible at that point!  :)  I kid...  

You said "this offseason" which me to implied that you are expecting the #1 and #6 rankings for the 2024 season. 

Sorry if I misunderstood.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

As I said earlier, I would not be surprised to see him lose his rookie eligibility in 2024.

Yea, it’s not wrong to think that. He only has 27 at bats so far in high A and isn’t doing anything yet but we just saw the Rays have a prospect skip AA and got right to AAA from high A, so something like that for Salas next year could happen. I still tend to think he will have rookie status in 2025 but he may not have it midseason 2025.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

As I said earlier, I would not be surprised to see him lose his rookie eligibility in 2024.

It's possible.  SDP's spending and trades pretty much blown up in their face.  So, it wouldn't shock me to see them make that type of move to get some extra production in the line-up.  They are pot committed to some degree.  With a guy like Salas though, I'm not sure if it'll be more akin to a Braves' trust in the youth or an Angels' desperation move though.  TBD...

6 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

A lot of 16 year olds (especially the ones that 're-class') are sophomores in HS.  🤯

Yea it’s really stupid.  I’m not sure what the average age is in low A hall but I would guess it’s somewhere around 21, give or take a few months.  

That’s like a 5 year playing U10 travel baseball and tearing it up.

It'll be fun to see if Salas beats Ivan Rodriguez - that's the top of the scale for me for MLB catchers.

Orioles offenses from '25-'27 with Basallo and Adley taking all the C reps could be nutso.

If Hays, Mountcastle and Westburg are all still here in '25, they could be fighting over one position as you'd hope Adley, Holliday, Gunnar, Mayo, Cowser, Mullins, Kjerstad, Basallo lock 8/9ths.    Ortiz and Bradfield to round out 14 guys to take all 7000 PA.

Norby, Beavers....sorry?

48 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

It'll be fun to see if Salas beats Ivan Rodriguez - that's the top of the scale for me for MLB catchers.

Orioles offenses from '25-'27 with Basallo and Adley taking all the C reps could be nutso.

If Hays, Mountcastle and Westburg are all still here in '25, they could be fighting over one position as you'd hope Adley, Holliday, Gunnar, Mayo, Cowser, Mullins, Kjerstad, Basallo lock 8/9ths.    Ortiz and Bradfield to round out 14 guys to take all 7000 PA.

Norby, Beavers....sorry?

Do you really think Mullins will still be an O in 2025? 

Same with Mounty and Hays. Do you really think they are still on the team in 2025?

Honest question.

7 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Right.  I think Basallo fills out more and what makes me think he won't stick at C.  Salas looks like he more of a C frame and won't fill out quite as much.  That gives the nod to Salas at the national level because he'll actually stick at C.  If Salas isn't projected to stick at C, then his ranking stature takes a hit. 

But in answering the question of "who I would prefer" (I focused on having as an O's prospect now), sticking at C doesn't matter to me.  It would be nice, but not necessary.  Basallo filling out more (and not sticking at C) could/should add more power and make him a better MOO.  

What does “filling out” have to do with it?  There are plenty of “filled out” catchers.