Apr 10th: Monday Evening, vs A's

FlaO'sFan

2 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

Thanks, missed that. I still see the reasoning though re. our guys theoretically being able to learn to work the wall and our being able build the roster around it. Not sure I get how it would inherently disadvantage us unless we don't account for it.

If only they had a power hitting left handed outfielder that was ML ready they could run out there instead of McKenna.

Well a man can dream.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

Thanks, missed that. I still see the reasoning though re. our guys theoretically being able to learn to work the wall and our being able build the roster around it. Not sure I get how it would inherently disadvantage us unless we don't account for it.

Well, we push the fences back and didn't really add too many additional left-handed bats. They had all offseason to move Mountcastle and Hays to right-handed friendly ballpark team but either didn't want to, or was not able to what they wanted back.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I notice that Gibson doesn't look like he really wants Rutschman coming over to him after innings. Rutschman appears to realize this and taps on the butt and then runs off.

I can see where it would rub some guys the wrong way.  I know if I had a crap inning I wouldn't want that kind of attention.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If only they had a power hitting left handed outfielder that was ML ready they could run out there instead of McKenna.

Well a man can dream.

That may be a good early example of how the value of the wall is all theoretical. Because if it's not enough of a difference maker to bump a young, power-hitting leftie when there's an open spot on the roster, then in practice the roster will never actually be built around it because other considerations take precedence. Which means we have no comparative advantage and are just as much at the wall's mercy as every other team that comes into town.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well, we push the fences back and didn't really add too many additional left-handed bats. They had all offseason to move Mountcastle and Hays to right-handed friendly ballpark team but either didn't want to, or was not able to what they wanted back.

Yeah, the wall might play out as a thought experiment that doesn't make sense in the real world. There's probably always going to be factors that the manager/GM care more about than a guy's ability to push it farther to left field.

Edited by Alasdaire