Gunnar Henderson 2023

Just Regular

During 2022, CF Michael Harris was about as good as it got as another player about doing the Gunnar arc.   Prep guys who opened towards the back half of Top 100's and went nuts.

ATL promoted Harris 3.7.2001 about Memorial Day - 2.5 months along he sold some free agent years.     Gunnar 6.29.2001 is a few months younger, and his bonus was about $2mm larger, so he has a little more early security than Harris did before ATL was able to close a deal.    Gunnar is also now about 2.5 months into the show, not doing as well as Harris did off the bat.

Harris' Club control years would have been 2022-2028.   By August Harris was in the RoY mix, but the LTC made that moot, and perhaps baked in whatever expectation he might pull an Adley from a May call-up.

8/72 was the price point.    Club Years 2023-2025 Harris gets $18mm faster.    Arb Years 2026-2028 ATL gets his Age 25-27 seasons for 3/27.    Two free agent seasons, the only two of Harris' 20's, were sold for 2/22.    It would evolve to 10/102 if ATL uses its options.

8 years/$72M (2023-30), plus 2031, 2032 club options

• signed extension with Atlanta 8/16/22
  • 23:$5M, 24:$5M, 25:$8M, 26:$8M, 27:$9M, 28:$10M, 29:$10M, 30:$12M, 31:$15M club option ($5M buyout), 32:$20M club option ($5M buyout)

On 5/3/2023 at 5:50 PM, backdoorslider said:

Boras clients are not the type of guys I want. People hire Boras for one reason and one reason only which is to sell themselves to the highest bidder. No loyalty from these guys.

Exactly.

The nerve of some people.. trying to get the most money the market will bear.

Everyone knows the only decent guys are the ones who play for free.

• Haha 1

Just now, baltfan said:

He seems frustrated and a just a bit off at third.  Lots of balls he dives for go under his glove.   I would let him keep grinding but he needs to relax a bit.  

Yeah, let Westburg keep grinding in Norfolk too, right?

Starting to think that Gunnar might end up being bat first player.  The type of player who get hyped just because they hit the hell out of the ball.  Like Devers.  That guy should not be playing third base.   He should be at first.  

Gunnar might still have a chance to be spectacular on defense.   But I am starting to have some fears he might not be the guy we all thought he was. 

Just now, Gurgi said:

Starting to think that Gunnar might end up being bat first player.  The type of player who get hyped just because they hit the hell out of the ball.  Like Devers.  That guy should not be playing third base.   He should be at first.  

Gunnar might still have a chance to be spectacular on defense.   But I am starting to have some fears he might not be the guy we all thought he was. 

Holy #@$% he is 21 years old facing the best pitchers in the majors

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• In lots of sports age 20 is starting to be old as they have already reached their peaks.  Baseball and the other majors are different obviously.  Especially I would say baseball as baseball requires a lot of mental IQ, experience and hand/eye coordination that only comes through repetition.  Things like hitting a baseball coming at you at 90 mph or moving all over the place for example.    It ain't easy. 
    • Chace was in Delmarva in 2022 and 2023.   He’s had some injuries, flashed potential, but been a bit erratic.  This season, he’s taken a step forward but still has a ways to go.
    • We will have to agree to disagree.  Tony said the same.  Gunnar, in the words of the Joker....just 'does stuff' that most other players cannot.  JH included.  And that all goes down to athleticism. I think some of you are confusing the word athleticism with just strictly raw speed or jumping for example.  Yes that is a part of it but that is not how I am using the word.  I mean it in the sense that you are a person who can play any and all sports well.  Who has the mental and physical acuity and ability to do something in an excellent way no matter the sport.  I am sure you have all seen and grown up with kids like this.  Guys who could play 4 sports in HS at an elite level.  I know I have.  I played with a quite a few of them in HS and college.     As I said watch some 'pro athletes' try and throw out an opening pitch or golf or skate or play baseketball.  They can't.  Why?  Because they don't have the athleticism. Gunnar does. 
    • This is crazy talk.  The only pitchers I would trade Holliday for are Zack Wheeler, Tarik Skubal, Ranger Suarez, Logan Gilbert, Cole Ragans, Luis Castillo, Seth Lugo, Tanner Houck and Paul Skenes.  I am sure I have missed a few but you get the point.  None of those guys will be available at the deadline.
    • I still don’t think people are grasping the idea that Holliday is only 20 years old. He isn’t close to physical maturity. He isn’t close to baseball maturity. When gunnar was 20, he wasn’t nearly the offensive player Holliday is now and most people didn’t think he could stay at SS.    Now he might be the best player in the sport and could be in for an all time season. I don’t say that to say Holliday is going to do the same thing. I say it because there is a ton of development still in the tank for Holliday and he’s already really really good.   
    • If I am Elias, I’m targeting Fedde, Nardi, and Harvey (or Garcia depending on his elbow). I think they need a LH reliever just in case Coulombe doesn’t come back. And they need a RH one regardless. A September backend of the pen of Kimbrel, Coulombe, Harvey, and Nardi is solid. Then you have Cano/Webb/Perez as middle relief options. And then Akin and one of Suarez/Irvin as the long relief options. Baker, Tate, and Vespi have all been solid too, so they’re good on depth. They need difference makers. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now