Would it be crazy to stretch our Baumann to start in our rotation?

Roy Firestone

Let's face it, our starters have been mostly underwhelming. I think Baumann, a one time starter has earned the right to be considered a starter. I realize we need solid relief too and he's been one of the few bright sports in the pen..but if given the chance to start he HAS to be better than Kremer ...I dont think this team can go anywhere without a much improved rotation...they should take a look at Baumann...

Yes. Between Greyson, Bradish, Gibson and Wells, we are solid. Kremer has taken a step back but those 4 are good enough. I think we continue to stretch out Hall and between him , Means and Irvin we will be fine. It would be grand if we could get 7 innings once and awhile from our starters but that’s not really the nature of modern baseball anymore. Baumann’s place is in the bullpen. 

You can’t help coming back to the board. Welcome back to posting, because I’m sure you have been reading and refraining from commenting. To answer your question, right now they need anything the can get pitching wise because it had been atrocious. At this point, might as well call up Hall and let him take his knocks in Baltimore instead of Norfolk. 

Kremer was the team's best SP last year. He looks bad so far this year but it would be an overreaction to move on from him so soon in favor of Baumann. 

If Kremer does fail out and Irvin is still struggling in AAA I'd rather they plug in Watkins and leave Baumann where he is. I'm happy about these nice innings from Baumann but I think if you stretch him out to start, their niceness will dry up quickly. 

I'm in favor of using Baumann the same way they intend to use Watkins. In a long relief/spot start role. He can do more than 2 innings if they let him. I'm sure he will start a couple times this season when they need him. But for right now, he is one of the bridge peices that is carrying the bullpen.

I'm very interested to see what decisions they make once Tate and Givens return from the IL. Guys like Baumann and Cano have flashed enough to want to keep them in the big league bullpen and ride with them. (This includes Coulombe too.) And then they still have Vespi waiting in Norfolk for his chance too.

And since we touched on starting pitchers, Bruce Zimmerman has shown some good things that warrants another look at starting when the occasion arrives, too. People forget how good he started off the 2022 season during April. He seems to be starting off decent this season too, and he gives lineups a different look by being a lefty.

3 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I'm in favor of using Baumann the same way they intend to use Watkins. In a long relief/spot start role. He can do more than 2 innings if they let him. I'm sure he will start a couple times this season when they need him. But for right now, he is one of the bridge peices that is carrying the bullpen.

I'm very interested to see what decisions they make once Tate and Givens return from the IL. Guys like Baumann and Cano have flashed enough to want to keep them in the big league bullpen and ride with them. (This includes Coulombe too.) And then they still have Vespi waiting in Norfolk for his chance too.

And since we touched on starting pitchers, Bruce Zimmerman has shown some good things that warrants another look at starting when the occasion arrives, too. People forget how good he started off the 2022 season during April. He seems to be starting off decent this season too, and he gives lineups a different look by being a lefty.

We still have plenty of space in the pen to make room for Tate and Givens when they are healthy. Gillespie, Akin, Perez, and Voth have all struggled and can easily be replaced.  Gillespie is probably first on chopping block because no proven success in majors and has options.  Then it is probably Voth next with Baumann taking over for him to give length.  Perez doesn’t look the same this year, I am not sure if it slight injury or mechanics but stuff just isn’t crisp, he has had troubles with strikes but that isn’t the problem this year it more stuff looks down a grade. He may need to go on DL if it doesn’t improve and their is slight injury.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bpilktree said:

We still have plenty of space in the pen to make room for Tate and Givens when they are healthy. Gillespie, Akin, Perez, and Voth have all struggled and can easily be replaced.  Gillespie is probably first on chopping block because no proven success in majors and has options.  Then it is probably Voth next with Baumann taking over for him to give length.  Perez doesn’t look the same this year, I am not sure if it slight injury or mechanics but stuff just isn’t crisp, he has had troubles with strikes but that isn’t the problem this year it more stuff looks down a grade. He may need to go on DL if it doesn’t improve and their is slight injury.

Agree on Gillaspie.   Perez and Voth will stay with the team IMO.

Baumann is fine right where he is for now.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

Baumann did look good but I remember he got a few borderline calls that Grayson didn’t get. That stuff matters and who knows what happens if they go against him. 

Baumann needs to focus on middle relief. We really need help there. That’s a big role for us considering how much we need the pen, and our injuries. 

Yes it would be a terrible idea. It looks like the short outings allow him to dial up the FB just enough to overlook the fact that it’s very straight. The K:BB rate isn’t great at 8:5 in 9.1 IP. But, he’s making it work so far. Don’t mess with what works. 

8 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Let's face it, our starters have been mostly underwhelming. I think Baumann, a one time starter has earned the right to be considered a starter. I realize we need solid relief too and he's been one of the few bright sports in the pen..but if given the chance to start he HAS to be better than Kremer ...I dont think this team can go anywhere without a much improved rotation...they should take a look at Baumann...

Should we have made Jorge Lopez a starter again because he was doing so well out of the pen last season and there were holes in the rotation?

• Upvote 1

Baumann is following the common career trajectory of a hard throwing starter with mediocre command and lack of a quality change up.  

He was made for the bullpen and looks like he has a good chance to be successful there, based on the early results. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Should we have made Jorge Lopez a starter again because he was doing so well out of the pen last season and there were holes in the rotation?

Honor and respect are in short supply in the world and on forums these days.  It costs you nothing to disagree with respect instead of jaded snark.  To anyone, but especially to a guy like Roy.

• Upvote 1