Praising Hyde Thread 2023

Aristotelian

11 hours ago, bpilktree said:

As I said in the game thread, Hyde was managing for not only this game but also to have everyone available for the upcoming series against Boston.  If he let Baumann go 2 innings he isn’t available a day or two.  All 7 guys will be available for upcoming series and no one has pitched more then 1 inning last 2 days.  The Red Sox have a great offense we are going to need everyone available for that series to win 2 out of 3.

He shouldn’t have been managing for the Boston series.  He should have been managing to win yesterday’s game.  So what if Baumann isn’t available for two days?   The next two games we could get blown out blow them out and be happy to give innings to the “B” squad (Perez/Akin/Voth).   Even if Baumann wasn’t available tonight, virtually the rest of the bullpen would be.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He shouldn’t have been managing for the Boston series.  He should have been managing to win yesterday’s game.  So what if Baumann isn’t available for two days?   The next two games we could get blown out blow them out and be happy to give innings to the “B” squad (Perez/Akin/Voth).   Even if Baumann wasn’t available tonight, virtually the rest of the bullpen would be.

I thought Baumann should have probably pitched another inning, given the game situation. I really doubt the decision had anything to do with the Boston series though. 

He is taking over a new role in the pen. He had a good, clean inning. Let him take that success and build on it, and bring in Baker to start a clean inning. 

The real issue is Perez though. Hard to handle a pen when you have a completely ineffective guy on the back end.

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

I thought Baumann should have probably pitched another inning, given the game situation. I really doubt the decision had anything to do with the Boston series though. 

He is taking over a new role in the pen. He had a good, clean inning. Let him take that success and build on it, and bring in Baker to start a clean inning. 

The real issue is Perez though. Hard to handle a pen when you have a completely ineffective guy on the back end.

We haven't had too many low leverage chances for Perez.  At the same time, the starters have all been going 6 innings so it's not like we shouldn't be able to use the 5 strong pieces (Bautista, Cano, Baumann, Baker, Coulombe) to get through the games.   We had 3 of those guys totally rested and two (Cano and Coulombe) who had pitched the night before.    If Perez and Voth don't pitch for a week, so be it.   Akin hadn't pitched in 12 days I believe.

7 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

It’s weird how the opinion of Hyde is so totally disconnected from the results. His team is performing better than most of us predicted for the second season in a row (SSS this season) with a roster that still  contains a bunch of cast offs playing key roles and yet some people want to fire him. Some fans aren’t happy with a win unless Hyde manages the way they want even though mostly what people seem to want is for Hyde to manage in an incredibly predictable style often advocated by play by play commentators. 

Yea, if anyone else were managing the O's, they would be undefeated.  And that included the Boston game because the Got Danged outfielder wouldn't have been McKenna.

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I usually find your logic pretty agreeable.  But certainly you understand that a baseball season is a marathon and not a sprint.  Which by definition means managers will be forced to take tomorrow into account quite a bit.  Failing to do so repeatedly could have potentially extreme consequences.  Of course, even in a marathon, sometimes it makes sense to push for the moment.  I just don't know that I agree that yesterday was that time.  And besides the point, not only did the O's win, but it got Akin a strong confidence boost.  At worst, it's one of those....NO! NO!  Great move!!! Deals.  

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

Schoop hit the ball on the screws all four times.  The xBAs on his four hits were .450, .560, .720, .730. Two hit 107 mph, another 102.   He only got one single out of it, ironically on the ball he hit 91 mpg.  

He had what we like to call a "Mountcastle day!" 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, bpilktree said:

As I said in the game thread, Hyde was managing for not only this game but also to have everyone available for the upcoming series against Boston.  If he let Baumann go 2 innings he isn’t available a day or two.  All 7 guys will be available for upcoming series and no one has pitched more then 1 inning last 2 days.  The Red Sox have a great offense we are going to need everyone available for that series to win 2 out of 3.

This is a great point and is often overlooked by people complaining about why a guy was pulled when doing well. 

18 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Yea, if anyone else were managing the O's, they would be undefeated.  And that included the Boston game because the Got Danged outfielder wouldn't have been McKenna.

I usually find your logic pretty agreeable.  But certainly you understand that a baseball season is a marathon and not a sprint.  Which by definition means managers will be forced to take tomorrow into account quite a bit.  Failing to do so repeatedly could have potentially extreme consequences.  Of course, even in a marathon, sometimes it makes sense to push for the moment.  I just don't know that I agree that yesterday was that time.  And besides the point, not only did the O's win, but it got Akin a strong confidence boost.  At worst, it's one of those....NO! NO!  Great move!!! Deals.  

I had no problem going to Akin or even Perez once we had gotten 4 innings from the "A" team of Baumann, Baker, and Bautista.   Again, we have no idea who will be needed for tonights game.   If Baumann had gone two innings or Baker for that matter we would still have the other of those two available for tonight along with Bautista, Cano, and Coulombe.    That would get us through the prime innings 6 or 7-9 tonight.   If you want to argue that we need to plan on having our "A" team available for both of the first two games of Boston, I would still argue that it's more important to do you best to win the game against Detroit before worrying about the first 2-3 games against Boston.    IF we are up big or down big tonight or tomorrow then it was a waste to save one reliever (Baumann or Baker) for a situation that never occurred.    We did win the game yesterday but Perez was the one who gave up the first run.   That shouldn't have happened.  JMO

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This is a great point and is often overlooked by people complaining about why a guy was pulled when doing well. 

I don't think it's a great point.   What's more important, winning the game you're actually playing or planning on a situation in the next game or two which may not even happen?    Let's say we used Baumann for two innings yesterday.    Ok, so Baumann isn't available for 2 days, maybe even 3.     You still have virtually the whole bullpen besides Baumann available tonight, including 4 trusted members.   If you blow yesterday's game because you used Perez and tonight's game is a blowout one way or the other, then you planned for something that never even happened.    Yesterdays' game happened in real time and Perez wasn't needed.

• Upvote 1

Too add to my point.   IF I have no choice but to use Cionel Perez on Tuesday or Wednesday because all of my A relievers are not available,  I can live with that.    What I can't get behind is losing with Cionel Perez on Sunday when I have A relievers available.

26 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I had no problem going to Akin or even Perez once we had gotten 4 innings from the "A" team of Baumann, Baker, and Bautista.   Again, we have no idea who will be needed for tonights game.   If Baumann had gone two innings or Baker for that matter we would still have the other of those two available for tonight along with Bautista, Cano, and Coulombe.    That would get us through the prime innings 6 or 7-9 tonight.   If you want to argue that we need to plan on having our "A" team available for both of the first two games of Boston, I would still argue that it's more important to do you best to win the game against Detroit before worrying about the first 2-3 games against Boston.    IF we are up big or down big tonight or tomorrow then it was a waste to save one reliever (Baumann or Baker) for a situation that never occurred.    We did win the game yesterday but Perez was the one who gave up the first run.   That shouldn't have happened.  JMO

I get what you are saying.  But the reality is you either believe in your guys and use em all or you don't.  When the Orioles are done with Perez, he will either be dropped or stuck in mop up duty.  You gotta stick someone like Perez back out there.  I'd rather do that against Detroit than Boston.

I would agree that if that was game 3 of the ALCS, I might not run it the same way.

22 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I get what you are saying.  But the reality is you either believe in your guys and use em all or you don't.  When the Orioles are done with Perez, he will either be dropped or stuck in mop up duty.  You gotta stick someone like Perez back out there.  I'd rather do that against Detroit than Boston.

I would agree that if that was game 3 of the ALCS, I might not run it the same way.

I believe in some guys more than others.   The ones who are pitching well.   Cionel Perez is not pitching well.    Hyde believes in all of them to some extent but he definitely has an "A" team and a "B" team.   Yesterday he took an A teamer out after 2/3 of an inning so he could get his "B" teamer in and hope for the best.     There's no reason Perez can't be used like Voth has been used, as a last resort.

42 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I don't think it's a great point.   What's more important, winning the game you're actually playing or planning on a situation in the next game or two which may not even happen?    Let's say we used Baumann for two innings yesterday.    Ok, so Baumann isn't available for 2 days, maybe even 3.     You still have virtually the whole bullpen besides Baumann available tonight, including 4 trusted members.   If you blow yesterday's game because you used Perez and tonight's game is a blowout one way or the other, then you planned for something that never even happened.    Yesterdays' game happened in real time and Perez wasn't needed.

I was not talking about yesterday's game specifically nor am I saying that's what Hyde did, but there are more nuances to relief pitching moves, and yes, taking a guy out so you have use of him the next day is a valid reason in the right circumstance. 

I agree with you that Perez doesn't belong in close games right now.

32 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Hyde’s an idiot.  13-7, bah!  He could never manage in Tampa.

This is Facebook level trolling. Please either add to the conversation, or ignore it, but making an obvious troll post is not what we do here and I think you know that.