TT: It's time to bring up Colton Cowser

Tony-OH

On an optimistic note, Elias did promote Holliday to Aberdeen fast than most expected.  I know Sports Guy says he should have started there anyway.  But my point is that having made the decision to start him at Delmarva, the promotion after just over 2 weeks was very quick by Elias’s past practice.

So a quick promotion for Cowser is not out of the question.  Now, if it does happen soon, is Kjerstad moved to Norfolk?

8 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Norfolk only has 1 run so...

Ha! you're correct.  I'm an idiot.  My fat thumb hit the Tuesday box when I went back to check.  I saw Westburg HR at top of box and my mind immediately thought it was today.   My bad, I'll delete. 

• Haha 1

Just now, emmett16 said:

Ha! you're correct.  I'm an idiot.  My fat thumb hit the Tuesday box when I went back to check.  I saw Westburg HR at top of box and my mind immediately thought it was today.   My bad, I'll delete. 

I was trying to figure out why GameDay was behind for me. 🤔

I was also thinking you were from the future!

27 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Cowser just hit another Bomb lol 

I don’t think so.  Here’s a link to the box score: https://www.milb.com/gameday/tides-vs-knights/2023/04/26/725492#game_state=live,lock_state=final,game_tab=box,game=725492

Only Westburg with the HR. 

Edit: just saw your correction.  

Edited by Frobby

43 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's interesting that fans have all kind of simultaneously reached the point where they're calling for Cowser or Westburg or both. Intuitively, it's time. The pitchforks are being dusted off and sharpened as we reach 1 month of games and the prospects are lighting up AAA. 

So let's see just how different the fan timeline is from the Elias timeline. We can use Tony's thread here as Day 1. Barring injury, I usually expect Elias to be about 1 month behind fan clamoring. But like we saw with Grayson and Irvin, sometimes we get surprised. 

It's just different this season. 

Last season we were all looking for a glimmer of hope with Adley. Now we all can see that there's a legitimate shot at making some noise in '23, and it would be nice to see what '24 could possibly look like. 

What is the sample size requirement for stats of this nature to normalize?

You are going to compare last year's stats, a full season, with April this year (the coldest month of baseball)?  What player isn't a little slower in April, would love to see some comparisons.

I realize we are nearing the end of April and Orioles look decent so we want to see the best product on the field, but I assure you that is not accomplished by reacting to non-normalized stats.

We all know the Calendar has to hit at least May 1 for any GM to start considering wholesale changes.

Here's how the moves could go down,

Vavra optioned.  O'Hearn DFA.  Khreibel/Vespi/Zimmerman/Gilaspie DFA.  Or we could 60 man IL Tate or Seth Johnson.  

Cowser and Westburg added to the 40 man, and called up.  

Tate and/or Givens could go on the 60 day IL and go on rehab assignments.  They'd both be eligible to come off to 60 Day IL on 5/27.  Either way we have options.

I’ve been beating the Hays shouldn’t be starting in left field drum for a while, so….yes I agree.

Hays’ defensive numbers are down across the board this year, but they weren’t good last year either. He’s hitting great, and would fit well in RF. But with the Camden cavernous LF, it would be nice to have someone out there who can cover more ground.

The best part of all of this though is that the orioles are 16-8 and have options and depth to get better. 

Seems likely that part of the appeal of Frazier is he doesn’t strikeout that much.  The Astros made sure they had guys like him after a season where they led the league in strikeouts.  But I agree Cowser should be brought up given the current options but only if he will play. 

10 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Seems likely that part of the appeal of Frazier is he doesn’t strikeout that much.  The Astros made sure they had guys like him after a season where they led the league in strikeouts.  But I agree Cowser should be brought up given the current options but only if he will play. 

As I said earlier, how useful is contact when the hitter is slow and hits the ball on the ground?