Joey Ortiz 2023

celery

51 minutes ago, deward said:

Question answered

Yep, this was the obvious move. 

We will see how long this lasts with Mateo’s poor hitting and when Frazier gets back to his normal sub 700 OPS but for right now, I get it.

I don’t think they are ready to bench Mateo and I kind of agree with that.

Just now, forphase1 said:

Don't care for this move really, but I get it.  Would have rather seen Mateo ride the pine more and send Vavra down instead,  but the Os seem to value his versatility a bit more.   

I think Vavra is a guy they don’t care if he bats 3 times a week but they want Ortiz playing a lot.

I get it. I would rather him start over Mateo but I get trying to play Mateo in hopes that he can get going. 

My personal belief is that in an ideal world, for the Orioles, is that they are able to trade Mateo within the next 8 weeks and they want him hitting a little bit more before they do that.

• Upvote 1

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/urias-returns-to-active-roster-plus-other-notes

The Orioles have reinstated infielder Ramón Urías from the 10-day injured list following his two rehab games at High-A Aberdeen.                                         Urías hasn’t played for the Orioles since straining his left hamstring on May 8.                                                                                                                           In a corresponding move, rookie infielder Joey Ortiz was optioned to Triple-A Norfolk. Ortiz was 5-for-11 in his last five games.

Ortiz was sent down instead of McKenna to make room for Urias.  Don't make sense.

11 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

True, but Mateo has a much higher OPS over a bigger sample size. 

Sure, but that gap is closing with each Mateo at bat.  If I was a betting man, I'd be willing to wager that Ortiz has a higher overall MLB OPS than Mateo at the end of the year.  Mateo has been SO bad, that his OPS has dropped from 1.417 in March, 1.044 in April to .276 in May.  Just ridiculous how badly he has been.  In May Ortiz has doubled Mateos OPS, hitting .579.  Still not good, but worlds better than Mateo.  

10 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/urias-returns-to-active-roster-plus-other-notes

The Orioles have reinstated infielder Ramón Urías from the 10-day injured list following his two rehab games at High-A Aberdeen.                                         Urías hasn’t played for the Orioles since straining his left hamstring on May 8.                                                                                                                           In a corresponding move, rookie infielder Joey Ortiz was optioned to Triple-A Norfolk. Ortiz was 5-for-11 in his last five games.

Ortiz was sent down instead of McKenna to make room for Urias.  Don't make sense.

McKenna is safe because he's the only other capable CF at the moment. Why would they send him down?

2 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

McKenna is safe because he's the only other capable CF at the moment. Why would they send him down?

Because of the bonehead and bad plays he keeps making?  His head just isn't in the game at times.  He's hitting better than in the past, and he has some value, but I'll like it better when we have someone more consistent playing his role.  But you are right, no one else currently on the team who I know that can play a competent centerfield.  The other options are kinda unknown as to how they can do.

• 1 month later...

Now that Cowser is up… it’s time for the other obvious move that Elias needs to make. Ortiz has gotten regular PT since his demotion to AAA and has been on fire. 

June - .417/.488/.778 in 36 AB

July - .333/.375/.400 in 15 AB

Mateo 

June - .196/.250/.250 in 56 AB

July -  .000/.125/.000 in 7 AB

We will likely option Benboom for Cowser today. I would send down McKenna for Ortiz. Ortiz can be in the SS rotation with Gunnar and Westburg. Mateo becomes our 4th bench guy and Terrance Gore 2.0. Which is a valuable role for Mateo. 

Edited by sportsfan8703