Jud Fabian 2023

Frobby

• 4 weeks later...

2-2 tonight with 2 Walks. OPS up to .808. I'm always intrigued by the guys who play the premium positions, but Haskins is in CF for Bowie tonight on a rehab assignment. I'm curious who the O's like more between the two. My guess is their fine with Mullins for the next 3 years. 

Fabian went 4 for 5 in the doubleheader today, with 2 walks, and all 4 hits were doubles.  He’s got a 14-game hitting streak going, during which he’s hit .364/.491/.636, raising his overall slash line to .276/.388/.447.   

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

It appears what @Jammer7 had to say about the Florida baseball team and the way they coach is absolutely spot on.

This guy has done a complete 180 since he came here. He had 56 Ks and 45 BBS in his pro career so far. No one would have thought that judging by his college stats.  

It is a lot of Ks in his just over 200 at bats but the contact has been way better and he’s walking a lot.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 5/24/2023 at 11:13 PM, Sports Guy said:

It appears what @Jammer7 had to say about the Florida baseball team and the way they coach is absolutely spot on.

This guy has done a complete 180 since he came here. He had 56 Ks and 45 BBS in his pro career so far. No one would have thought that judging by his college stats.  

It is a lot of Ks in his just over 200 at bats but the contact has been way better and he’s walking a lot.

Ironically, I was listening to the radio today and I caught a conversation about one of the Florida pitchers and how he has a lot of upside but with how old school Florida is, the stats may not back that up.

• Upvote 2

On 5/24/2023 at 9:30 PM, Chaka Garcia said:

For anyone who seen Fabian’s outfield play, how is he as a CF? How’s the arm and speed?

Watched him on TV a lot in college.  Pretty good but not great speed, good but not elite athlete.  Very good routes and fundamentals from what I could see.  He doesn't appear to have elite speed or athleticism, but he looks like he could be a very solid ML CF.

• Upvote 1

Per Tony: “he’s a legitimate defensive center fielder even if he doesn’t have that pure speed you typically look for. He’s get very good jumps and has a plus arm, so even if he does play some corner, he has plenty of arm to be effective.”   Grade: 60/65 defense.

Per Longenhagen: “he has some room to strike out in excess because of his defense in center field.”  Grade: 45/60 fielding, 60 arm.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Otter said:

Watched him on TV a lot in college.  Pretty good but not great speed, good but not elite athlete.  Very good routes and fundamentals from what I could see.  He doesn't appear to have elite speed or athleticism, but he looks like he could be a very solid ML CF.

Kind of sounds a little like Austin Hays in the outfield.

Snippets from the 2021 and 2022 Baseball America draft rankings:

"A righthanded hitter and lefthanded thrower, Fabian should have no issues handling center field and playing it at a high level defensively at the next level. He’s an above-average runner but what makes him a special defender are his defensive instincts, first step, reads off the bat, athleticism and arm strength. He’s at least a plus defender in the outfield and some scouts have gone as far as putting double-plus grades on his glove, making him one of the best defensive center fielders in the 2021 draft class."

"Defensively, Fabian is one of the better center fielders in the class, with solid speed, athleticism and instincts to stick at the position and be an impact defender. "

Less glowing in '22 than the year prior but I'd bet he'd work out just fine in CF/LF. Hit tool will be the limiting factor but even if it ends up as below average he can profile as a Ryan McKenna type with more pop.