Orioles acquire catcher, DFA Krehbiel

Legend_Of_Joey

32 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

That appears to be exactly what they did

From Roch:

"The Orioles have made the following roster moves: - Activated C Luis Torrens. He will wear No. 13. - Optioned INF/OF Ryan O’Hearn to Triple-A Norfolk after yesterday’s game."

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Well...he's on the big league roster and O'Hearns has been optioned out. I'm glad it was O'Hearns and not Stowers. I guess Santander, McCann and maybe Rutschman are the back ups at 1B. 

Yep. I was optimistic but not confident that they would keep Stowers around this time.

2 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I'm not a fan of 3 catchers, but this is the best case scenario if they're going to carry them for a bit. 

I think they are looking at McCann as more than just a backup catcher, and would like to get him and Rutschman in the lineup together more against lefties, and Torrens is really the new backup or emergency catcher to give that flexibility/insurance.

You can agree or disagree with McCann seeing more at bats when lefties are pitching, but I think the Orioles value his batting skills enough that this is the way it's going to be....like it or not.

McKenna is the piece that I see less and less of a fit for, other than his defense and ability to play centerfield, which is what keeps him around.

12 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

From Roch:

"The Orioles have made the following roster moves: - Activated C Luis Torrens. He will wear No. 13. - Optioned INF/OF Ryan O’Hearn to Triple-A Norfolk after yesterday’s game."

Interesting, when I checked the O's website O'Hearn was on the team with Torrens in the minors. Third catcher it is!

I keep reading that Adley needs "real" days off and my serious question is why?

If he catches 120 games and DH's 40, IMO he's getting virtually 40 physical days off.   A DH gets up 4 or 5 times and runs the bases 1-3 times and sits around doing nothing most of the game.  I think the total real day off is probably more mental than physical and I really question how or when Adley would need that.  

Well, so much for that theory. McCann started, and Hyde pinch hit in the 6th as expected. However, instead of using the third C to keep resting Adley, Adley stayed in the game which ended up going into extra innings. If the third C is not going to be used after PH for McCann during a day game after a night game that goes into extras, I really don't know what to say. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Well, so much for that theory. McCann started, and Hyde pinch hit in the 6th as expected. However, instead of using the third C to keep resting Adley, Adley stayed in the game which ended up going into extra innings. If the third C is not going to be used after PH for McCann during a day game after a night game that goes into extras, I really don't know what to say. 

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

You're correct. It definitely seems odd. Maybe they're just going to put Torrens on waivers and take their chances from there.