Orioles acquire catcher, DFA Krehbiel

Legend_Of_Joey

Our last loss versus Detroit we couldn’t pinch hit for McCann with the bases loaded versus a tough righty. It kind of exposes how we’re boxed in sometimes during a game when Adley DHs. 

I’m all for three catchers when you have a guy that is a top 3-4 MVP candidate. We want Adley playing and healthy. 

Carrying a third catcher seems unnecessary, but I guess he can also be an emergency relief pitcher. He got a win pitching in the 10th inning of a double header for the Mariners last season. If we want to have some versatility with Adley at DH, I’d rather carry one backup catcher and then find a 4th bench player who’s a utility guy that could play catcher in a pinch. Is there anyone like that who could be available? 

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

If they go with a 3rd catcher this has to be bad for O’Hearn or Stowers.

It’s hard to carry a 1B/DH type when you’re carrying three Catchers, but Elias may prefer to option Stowers. Although I would not be surprised if we optioned Gunnar. 

31 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Our last loss versus Detroit we couldn’t pinch hit for McCann with the bases loaded versus a tough righty. It kind of exposes how we’re boxed in sometimes during a game when Adley DHs. 

I’m all for three catchers when you have a guy that is a top 3-4 MVP candidate. We want Adley playing and healthy. 

Was that the same game in which they pinch hit for McCann?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s hard to carry a 1B/DH type when you’re carrying three Catchers, but Elias may prefer to option Stowers. Although I would not be surprised if we optioned Gunnar. 

Even if they did that, he’d be replaced by an infielder.  Not happening.

20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

If they go with a 3rd catcher this has to be bad for O’Hearn or Stowers.

Absolutely, and that a C will get regular ABs at DH forcing Santander to RF so it hurts both these guys who would be better in RF or DH than a C (Adley excepted).

Edited by AnythingO's
typo

8 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

It's amazing the record that this team has. The roster usage is weird at best.

Maybe it’s a good kind of weird. Like maybe a novel analytic approach that has contributed to two surprisingly successful seasons (to date at least).