HELL of a catch by Kyle

banks703

Like I said, I think Stowers’ awkward routes lead to his catches seeming more difficult than they’d be for an OF who takes better, more confident routes.  

Remember the catch he made at the wall on April 3?   People raved about that one, but Statcast rated it a ball with a 95% chance of being caught based on distance from the fielder’s initial position and hang time.  https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sporty-videos?playId=7d201ba4-61b1-4417-8055-9ddac06bc664

The one last night was rated a 99% catch probability.   Here’s the play. https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sporty-videos?playId=9d83c6f1-2bbf-4dd4-a073-97d1a47636ee

Now, Statcast just judges difficulty based on distance from the fielder and hang time.  It doesn’t look at the angle the fielder has to take, or whether the wall is coming into play.   So, I’m not suggesting that those two plays actually get made 95% and 99% of the time.  But I am suggesting that they weren’t as difficult as Stowers made them look.

Compare this catch from McKenna last night (the announcer mistakenly identifies him as Stowers).  Same degree of difficulty as Stowers’ play, but McKenna makes it look much easier. https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sporty-videos?playId=60c0629b-d1cb-47e2-90cc-87735bf28100

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Like I said, I think Stowers’ awkward routes lead to his catches seeming more difficult than they’d be for an OF who takes better, more confident routes.  

Remember the catch he made at the wall on April 3?   People raved about that one, but Statcast rated it a ball with a 95% chance of being caught based on distance from the fielder’s initial position and hang time.  https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sporty-videos?playId=7d201ba4-61b1-4417-8055-9ddac06bc664

The one last night was rated a 99% catch probability.   Here’s the play. https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sporty-videos?playId=9d83c6f1-2bbf-4dd4-a073-97d1a47636ee

Now, Statcast just judges difficulty based on distance from the fielder and hang time.  It doesn’t look at the angle the fielder has to take, or whether the wall is coming into play.   So, I’m not suggesting that those two plays actually get made 95% and 99% of the time.  But I am suggesting that they weren’t as difficult as Stowers made them look.

Compare this catch from McKenna last night (the announcer mistakenly identifies him as Stowers).  Same degree of difficulty as Stowers’ play, but McKenna makes it look much easier. https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sporty-videos?playId=60c0629b-d1cb-47e2-90cc-87735bf28100

Agreed: Stowers' poor initial reactions, incl. most importantly figuring out a path to where the ball will drop, force him to reach back-handed over his head while running sideways with most of his body facing CF rather than running or looping to his glove-side and catching it there more naturally. If he keeps doing this (ambling sideways with his right arm over his head) he's eventually going to stumble and blow a play(s).

Edited by LA2

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I always take these defensive stats with a grain of salt. That ball was hit directly over Kyle’s head and as a left handed left fielder, the difficulty of the pulled ball tailing toward the line makes it even more difficult. 

Would a right-handed left fielder have a better chance at that ball? Absolutely. That’s a much easier play for someone right-handed. 

As outfielders, we’re taught to creep step into ‘ready’ position, which is to be half a step forward with our glove side with the delivery of the pitch. This makes it easier for us to open our hips and run to our non-glove side as all players are better at going one side or another but MOST are better at opening up to their glove side. Based on where he was playing, him being left-handed and the ball that was hit at him and how it was hit, he made a great play. 

I agree that as a major league outfielder that’s a catch that SHOULD be made. No doubt. 99% though, not sure that I agree with it being virtually a can of corn out there. He ran a long way hand-side on a ball that was hooking over his head. 

Kyle looks better to me in right field. His angles are better and his throw are more accurate from right. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, banks703 said:

I always take these defensive stats with a grain of salt. That ball was hit directly over Kyle’s head and as a left handed left fielder, the difficulty of the pulled ball tailing toward the line makes it even more difficult. 

Would a right-handed left fielder have a better chance at that ball? Absolutely. That’s a much easier play for someone right-handed. 

As outfielders, we’re taught to creep step into ‘ready’ position, which is to be half a step forward with our glove side with the delivery of the pitch. This makes it easier for us to open our hips and run to our non-glove side as all players are better at going one side or another but MOST are better at opening up to their glove side. Based on where he was playing, him being left-handed and the ball that was hit at him and how it was hit, he made a great play. 

I agree that as a major league outfielder that’s a catch that SHOULD be made. No doubt. 99% though, not sure that I agree with it being virtually a can of corn out there. He ran a long way hand-side on a ball that was hooking over his head. 

Kyle looks better to me in right field. His angles are better and his throw are more accurate from right. 

🍌route.  Heck of a catch, though.  Still gotta catch it. 

Edited by emmett16

4 hours ago, banks703 said:

Absolutely agree with this take. That was well struck and right over his head. His route wasn't that bad and the ball likely was hooking away from his glove. Nice last minute twist for the catch. He never took his eye off it which affects his speed. Nice play, certainly NOT 99% for a LH LF. Kyle belongs in RF but Hyde will keep playing Santander.

2 hours ago, emmett16 said:

🍌route.  Heck of a catch, though.  Still gotta catch it. 

Definitely a little bit of a banana route but I will again remind us that he is a left-handed left fielder on that play and the ball was hit directly at him/over his head and was hooking back toward the line. 

If we could mirror the play (left-handed hitter on a batted ball to right field) and Kyle is making the play in right, I’d bet my dinner tomorrow that he makes the play with far more ease. 

I maintain that he is best suited for right field. 

Edited by banks703

6 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Definitely a little bit of a banana route but I will again remind us that he is a left-handed left fielder on that play and the ball was hit directly at him/over his head and was hooking back toward the line. 

If we could mirror the play (left-handed hitter on a batter ball to right field) and Kyle is making the play in right, I’d bet my dinner tomorrow that he makes the play with far more ease. 

I maintain that he is best suited for right field. 

I agree.   I also think he will improve.  He has the tools to be a good OFer.  

It takes tens of thousands of reps during BP to learn spin off LH & RH batter’s bat.  The good ones can read the swing, contact, spin, and trajectory and take an almost perfectly straight line no mater drop step left or drop step right. 

I think he’ll get there but it is a current weakness for him.  He has some speed, height, and wing span to make Up for a bad first step & route but x% will eventually burn him w/o improvement.  

Hes 💯 suited for RF.  What was that throw the other night? 97mph?

Edited by emmett16

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

There's another set of variables to consider: Did you hold your breath while the ball was in the air? Did you loudly exhale and perhaps say or even shout something positive? Thank you for sharing the analyses, but another component of fan reaction/assessment is how much did the catch matter and how worried were you when the ball was hit. I yelled, "oh no!" when the ball was struck and something like, "thank God!" when Kyle made the catch. :) 

p.s. there's probably a significant interaction between the two factors...the actual catch difficulty and fan anxiety before and relief after the catch. 

Edited by Ohfan67

19 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Yes  but I keep thinking of Tony's comments about him looking like crap for multiple ABs and then he adjusts and crushes one

He meant within the same game.  He's got 2 singles in 21 AB's.  

I've been pro Stowers.  I was upset when they didn't use him at all in his first stint and moreso when he got sent down.   I'm now growing impatient.  He seems to be getting worse, not better.  We can't afford to have automatic outs in the lineup.  The hitting in these last two games with runners on and chances to blow the games open was atrocious.  Stowers was part of that feeble showing and he was especially bad.