This place is unbearable after a loss

Sanfran327

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I guess I'm not really seeing the path forward. We can't continue to have starters go 4 or 5 innings and be at the top of the league in bullpen innings and continue to win games. Now hopefully guys like Bradish and Kremer and Grayson get better as we go, but I don't know that you can count on it. 

So... I don't know! The other teams have better rotations and good bullpens and good offenses. Lol. We can't rely on Oriole Magic for 120 more games. 

As is, this team damned well better be competitive for the playoffs until the end.  They don't have the second best record in the AL because of magic and fairy dust.

Just now, Sanfran327 said:

Tony so funny. Glad you put in your little emoji so I knew you were being playful and not passive aggressively insulting one of your longest tenured board members.

I think the course of this thread has proven my point though.

Nah, but this is kind of one of those posts that are complaining about the complainers, and that is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. But it's turning into an ok thread! ;)

Either way, I think most people in this thread understand what's going on. This weekend wasn't fun because we lost two close games and close games always are easy to pick on because it's one at bat here and there that can be pointed too. But, as many of us have said, The Orioles were one pitch by Coulombe from winning 2- of 3 from the Braves and went 12 innings for the Braves to outlast them yesterday.

I'll be honest though, I'm a little worried about going into a series with the Rays short-handed in the pen. They really need a 6+ inning start from Gibson tonight or the bats have to be on their game. 

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

As is, this team damned well better be competitive for the playoffs until the end.  They don't have the second best record in the AL because of magic and fairy dust.

Well, they do have the second best record in part because some people are playing completely over their heads.

Now, some are also struggling and maybe that balances out.

The pitching is a real problem though.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Well considering I didn’t want him, I would feel they messed up.

Just saying, it's easy now in hindsight to say which starter they should have signed or not.  Eovaldi has been good, but virtually every other FA pitcher has been hurt or bad.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Well, they do have the second best record in part because some people are playing completely over their heads.

Now, some are also struggling and maybe that balances out.

The pitching is a real problem though.

The only guy imo playing over their head is Mateo.  Who else?

The starting pitching is mediocre.  It's the worst part of the team.  As we've seen the last two years, it shouldn't hinder their ability to be competitive.

Just now, Pickles said:

Well yes and no. Over half their wins are comebacks, and I'm not sure we'd have that nice record without the miracle Cano appearing literally out of nowhere to randomly be the best reliever in the division. We got REAL lucky with that one. I just think we're going to hit the brick wall due to our rotation, while the other teams have established guys who can go deep. 

There's a scenario where this team is well below .500 for the month and if other teams get hot, we could be on the outside looking in with regards to the wild card. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Part of the problem on here, at times, is that the good stuff gets pushed down because people start threads that are absurd and not necessary. 

Don't be so hard on yourself.  You start plenty of good threads too!  🤣  (I kid, I kid).  

Just now, Pickles said:

Just saying, it's easy now in hindsight to say which starter they should have signed or not.  Eovaldi has been good, but virtually every other FA pitcher has been hurt or bad.

Yep..but Eovaldi is the guy I wanted the most, thus why I mentioned him.

Of course, it also illustrates why spending money on FA pitching is a bad idea in most cases (even Eovaldi was/is a big risk but his contract wasn’t as prohibitive) and why this team needs to be and should have been in the trade market.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Of course, it also illustrates why spending money on FA pitching is a bad idea in most cases (even Eovaldi was/is a big risk but his contract wasn’t as prohibitive) and why this team needs to be and should have been in the trade market.

Well, they did get Irvin, but that hasn't worked out so far.

I've always agreed the trade market makes more sense than the FA market for a true difference maker in the rotation.  I expect them to be active in July if someone comes available.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s early to declare victory on Eovaldi, needless to say.  He’s pitching very well but has a track record of getting hurt a lot.  We’ll see how he does over 162 games.  

5 minutes ago, Pickles said:

The only guy imo playing over their head is Mateo.  Who else?

The starting pitching is mediocre.  It's the worst part of the team.  As we've seen the last two years, it shouldn't hinder their ability to be competitive.

Cano and Coloumbe are the 2 biggest ones. Hays won’t have an 840 OPS.

The pythag theorem record for this team is 20-14. To me, that is more representative of where they are as a team right now as opposed to the second best record in the AL.

They have won a lot of close games because their pen had been very good. When those 2 guys come back to earth (DC may already be doing that), how much does that change things? 

Their schedule has been pretty easy. Now it gets hard. Winning those tight games aren’t as easy vs the best teams in baseball (as we saw this weekend) as it is against Det, DC, Oak and KC

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Sure in some ways..but this thread is more truthful and understandable than many threads started on here…or at least it can stand on its own in a lot of ways Vs people starting their own threads when similar topics are already being discussed.

I just perused the 1st and 2nd pages of the Orioles board and saw two "negative posts" one started by Roy called. "The reason this good team(Orioles) will not be a great team" and one by Frobby called, "Captain Obvious: the O’s won’t beat good teams pitching like this" so i guess I don't get where people are saying there's all this negativity or threads being started when other threads are open. maybe you can help me understand what I'm missing. 

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s early to declare victory on Eovaldi, needless to say.  He’s pitching very well but has a track record of getting hurt a lot.  We’ll see how he does over 162 games.  

No doubt. Thus  why I said he was and is a big risk.

But again. His contract made him the best guy..that and, for me, his upside.