Stowers optioned, Gillaspie up

SteveA

54 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Or trade him for whatever you can get now.  At this point I think I would rather put the resources into Cowser and Kjerstad anyway.  Just give those two the time to successfully make the transition even if they get off to a rough start.

There are no guarantees that Cowser or Kjerstad will also not stuggle in a similar fashion to Stowers, so I don't think it's time to dump Stowers for "whatever we can get."

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Any chance at all we see the Os try Stowers at first? I tend to doubt it but would like to see then experiment with it.

You think that might help him strike out less?  Heck, they should have just tried Odor at first....

I don't think where he plays in the field is the problem right now.  He gave the Orioles no reason to keep putting him in the lineup, even at DH.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Maybe after he got sent down, he was trying to impress the Orioles and instead keep striking out. I have the same problem with beautiful women.

It sounds like you're staying off the bad pitches with a low chase rate.  What's the post at-bat report say you need to work on?  Swing decision?  The swing path?  Pull happy?  Or maybe you just need to come to terms that you're more of a AAA guy?  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sanity Check said:

To be fair, even though they're not lighting the world on fire, Frazier and McCann do not look clueless at the plate, and are putting together decent at bats.  There is a difference....

Have they hit into bad luck?  

If these decent at bats don't result into regular hard contact, then I don't care what your strikeout to walk ratio is.  I see a lot of weak contact, from Frazier especially. 

8 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

If these decent at bats don't result into regular hard contact, then I don't care what your strikeout to walk ratio is.  I see a lot of weak contact, from Frazier especially. 

I don’t think weak contact/hard contact is the sole determinant of offensive effectiveness.  One guy never strikes out and dumps a lot of flares between the infielders and the outfielders.  Another guy strikes out a lot and hits a lot of hard line drives just at the depths that outfielders tend to reach.  Who’s the more effective hitter?

Frazier has always been a soft contact guy.   But he’s been a pretty effective hitter for most of his career.   This year has been a mixed bag; overall he’s been about what we should have expected.   

33 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

There are no guarantees that Cowser or Kjerstad will also not stuggle in a similar fashion to Stowers, so I don't think it's time to dump Stowers for "whatever we can get."

I think the Orioles brain trust would be foolish if they didn't plan for struggles and that's why I advocate for the same opportunity that Henderson is getting now for both Cowser and Kjerstad.  Adam Frazier has gotten 3 starts in the OF and Vavra has gotten 7, cumulatively that's one more than Stowers received.  The evidence suggest to me that he won't be missed.

29 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Frazier was never known for his exit velocity.  He was more known for being able to put the ball in play.  I'm sure Elias hoped he would return to his 2021 form, not 2022.  I do care that a ball is put in play when needed., and Frazier can do that.

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think weak contact/hard contact is the sole determinant of offensive effectiveness.  One guy never strikes out and dumps a lot of flares between the infielders and the outfielders.  Another guy strikes out a lot and hits a lot of hard line drives just at the depths that outfielders tend to reach.  Who’s the more effective hitter?

Frazier has always been a soft contact guy.   But he’s been a pretty effective hitter for most of his career.   This year has been a mixed bag; overall he’s been about what we should have expected.   

Having "quality at bats", which is open to interpretation, is also not the sole determinant of offensive effectiveness. 

I don't expect Frazier to maintain that K/BB ratio.  So it's very possible his numbers will dive further and we now have a sample size of his last 850 at bats, where he's had a sub .700 OPS.  We can do better.  

Didn't mean to side-track the Stowers thread with more Frazier talk, but when we are talking about roster decisions, it's tough not to point in his direction.  

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

While I don't think 30 at bats is a fair sample size for Stowers, I think we are at a point as a team where wins are most important and we can't really afford to give regular playing time to guys who are struggling to that extent and/or keep them on the roster for extended periods if they lack a lot of position flexibility.  

Now, it would be nice if the same principles were applied to the Fraziers and McCann's of the world, but they will continue to stay on the roster and receive unwarranted playing time based on their FA deals. 

Try 120 Abs not 30 . Not really sure how Frazier and Mcann line up with Stowers. One is a 2nd basemen the other  is a backup catcher Both are proven vets (until they aren't) Both are doing what they were brought here to do (Frazier yes Mcann not so much not yet) Stowers is not a proven vet or a 2nd basemen or a  backup catcher. Before you  complain about Mcann, who exactly are you going to replace him with.

2 hours ago, oriole said:

It’s hard to tell who is going to be able to make the jump from AAA to MLB. Stowers was hitting great at Norfolk and looks totally lost when I watch him in games. We sent Stewart down last year after he looked lost and hit over a .900 OPS at Norfolk. Diaz has been doing this dance for years now. I’m hoping Stowers doesn’t end up in the mold of Stewart and Diaz. I was excited about him 

Maybe they should send Stowers to Aberdeen for a true test of his hitting skills.