Was anyone else thinking what I was thinking?

Frobby

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

9th inning, game is tied, Hyde decides to bring the closer Bautista in to pitch.  Gregg Olson wonders why Hyde would bring in the closer in a tie game on the road.  In Toronto.

And all I can think of is Buck’s decision not to use Zach Britton in a tie game on the road in the 2016 wild card game.  In Toronto.

I’ve never blamed Buck as much as many other people did.  But I was glad to see Hyde go for the jugular, and to see Bautista come through.  

Deja vu?  No thank you!

In my opinion, not only was Buck a slave to the save rule with Britton (besides tie game at home situation), but he also could not fathom him pitching more than one inning at a time.

I like that Hyde used Bautista for two innings yesterday. Obviously Bautista is out today but probably was anyways even with one inning of work. 

Sometimes you have to use your best for more than an inning. 

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

In my opinion, not only was Buck a slave to the save rule with Britton (besides tie game at home situation), but he also could not fathom him pitching more than one inning at a time.

I like that Hyde used Bautista for two innings yesterday. Obviously Bautista is out today but probably was anyways even with one inning of work. 

Sometimes you have to use your best for more than an inning. 

I do think the runner on 2nd rule probably influenced Hyde’s decision.   Having a top strikeout guy really helps there. And Felix is no. 1 in the majors at 17.61 K/9.  

But also, that was kind of an “all in” game once O’Hearn hit that homer.  Tough opposing pitcher on Sunday, let’s grab the series today and if we blow a lead tomorrow because our top 2 relievers are out, so be it.  

Interestingly, Buck did use Britton for two innings once in 2016, and it was in the 9th and 10th innings in a tie game in Toronto.  The O’s won that game in 12 innings. 

• Upvote 1