Johnny Rhodes 2023

Frobby

After a very poor April (.603 OPS), Johnny Rhodes has picked it up since returning Friday m the IL on May 13, hitting .306/.366/.528 so far this month.  It would be nice if he could sustain this long enough to get back on the radar.  He’s still only 22 until mid-August.  

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, EdwinRip said:

3 HRs tonight.

Awesome. He hit one the night I went to see Bowie play. Matter of fact, it was the only offense that kept the Baysox in the game until Heston Kjerstad hit the tying Home Run.

Consider me a big fan of J.Rhodes. I think he is flying under the radar but he's got some huge upside.

What is Rhodes chances?  It seems he walks a lot and successfully steals at a great rate.  Seems they dont play him in center anymore.  I would think he is going to have to hit a lot more to make it as  a corner outfield.  

What is his defense like?

4 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

VERY interesting note about the EVs. Rhodes always seemed like he should have more power than he’s displayed so far based on is size/athleticism/aggressiveness of his swing. Another potential breakout incoming?

Sometimes it just takes one tweak to kick the confidence into full effect.  Good read.  

4 hours ago, Gurgi said:

What is Rhodes chances?  It seems he walks a lot and successfully steals at a great rate.  Seems they dont play him in center anymore.  I would think he is going to have to hit a lot more to make it as  a corner outfield.  

What is his defense like?

https://www.camdenchat.com/2022/10/13/23398931/orioles-prospects-john-rhodes-reed-trimble

Old article but a good write up on his skill set.  With his injuries he’s only really played 1 full season ~600 ABs.  He is still relatively young having been a draft eligible sophomore.  He has speed, power, and athleticism.  From all accounts sounds like he has the prerequisite drive as well.  I wouldn’t count him out.  He could very well break out and emerge on the prospect scene in short time if he can stay in the field.  Sounds like a rash of random injuries.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

VERY interesting note about the EVs. Rhodes always seemed like he should have more power than he’s displayed so far based on is size/athleticism/aggressiveness of his swing. Another potential breakout incoming?

Yes, those EV data points are very encouraging.  Rhodes had been slumping in July until yesterday.  Hopefully his big night signals that he’s ready to go on another rampage.  

36 minutes ago, interloper said:

Is he more than a Neustrom type? Speaking of, how has Neustrom not signed a minor league deal anywhere? I wonder if he's considering hanging it up. 

I would say a step up from Newsrtom.  He doesn’t turn 23 until August.  I think he’s definitely not in the top 15 prospects but I don’t discount the possibility that he could vault into a top ten guy.   He doesn’t really have anything that stands out unless the power emerges.

• 1 month later...