TT: Hyde's bullpen management is going to sink this team unless he changes

Tony-OH

• Tony-OH changed the title to TT: Hyde's bullpen management is going to sink this team unless he changes

I have to assume that the SigBot 3000 dictates a lot of this bullpen usage.  Even when Hyde has long men at his disposal, he rarely uses them.  I bet that somewhere they have data that says that more frequent shorter outings are better than less frequent longer outings.  Guys like Baumann, Akin, Irvin when he was out there, these guys should easily be able to go 2-3innings and it seems that they're rarely asked to do so.

All of that said, I don't necessarily disagree, I just assume that's an organizational philosophy and not just a Hyde thing.

• Upvote 3

The O's manage Kyle Bradish the same way I managed my son's 13u travel team's arms, following the Little League Pitch Smart guidelines and capping pitches at 95.  Heck, they almost follow the guidelines for 11u and 12u, capping it at 85 pitches.

It just looks like the bullpen is being managed every game like it is the 7th game of the WS.  I agree this is unstainable for a whole season. 

You can't panic if you are up 3 runs, bring in a reliever and they give up a couple of hits.  If they come in and pitch 3 innings, allow 4 hits a 1 run they did their job and you win the game without taxing your high leverage guys.  You have to have relievers on your team that can handle this role which shouldn't be asking a whole lot.  I think we do but unfortunately the trust isn't there to let the do their job. 

Great OP and lots of good data in there, @Tony-OH.

I think there are two issues here: (1) innings from the starters, and (2) allocation of innings among the bullpen guys.  

As I just posted elsewhere, the O’s are 8th in the AL in IP/start, and their 5.3 average is exactly league average. In May, the O’s are actually 5th in the AL in IP/start, at 5.6.  So, I can’t really say Hyde is doing anything radical with his starters.  

As to bullpen usage, I think the O’s have been impacted by the fact that they play so few blowout games, drastically fewer than most teams when I checked this recently.  They don’t have many opportunities to just hand one low-leverage guy the ball and go for 2+ innings because the game is out of hand anyway.   

That said, I do agree that Hyde needs to be a bit more willing to let volume relievers soak up some innings.   It would be nice if someone actually did that job well consistently.  Last year, Akin did a great job of that in the first half of the season.  Baumann has shown some flashes of doing it, but he’s been inconsistent.  

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I have to assume that the SigBot 3000 dictates a lot of this bullpen usage.  Even when Hyde has long men at his disposal, he rarely uses them.  I bet that somewhere they have data that says that more frequent shorter outings are better than less frequent longer outings.  Guys like Baumann, Akin, Irvin when he was out there, these guys should easily be able to go 2-3innings and it seems that they're rarely asked to do so.

All of that said, I don't necessarily disagree, I just assume that's an organizational philosophy and not just a Hyde thing.

This passes the sniff test.  I bet the data is more driven off game-to-game match-up type thing vs. the marathon of a season.  If it's a limitation of the data provided, then it's a functional philosophy whether or not that's the intent.

Cano's durability is an X factor given his limited IP history even in the minors.  We should be tapping the brakes on his availability.

Akin and Baumann can definitely get more IPs.  

DL Hall is in the wings.  Along with Bazardo, Garrett, Hernandez, Vespi, Vallimont.  So maybe the thought is to drive them like you stole them then just rinse/repeat with the next guy.

Another thought is that the opponent matters too.  A win against a divisional rival or a potential WC competitor matters a little more than against the Oakland's of the world.  Sure, all W's matter.  But so do L's for the opponents.  I wonder how the usage/IP allocation among RPs is done in these types of games?

48 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Yea I think this is right.  No way Hyde is doing this on his own.

50 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

You very well be right since I don't think anyone really knows what decisions Hyde makes and what is dictated to him. Either way, this bullpen usage is going to blow guys out unless they start finding ways to get them more rest. 

52 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I think you are correct. It seems like managers are making less and less decisions. This seems like man org thing to me. Cash pretty much admitted it when he got blasted for taking Snell out of the WS. Hyde seems more like a guy following the direction of the GM than a guy managing his own games. 

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Great OP and lots of good data in there, @Tony-OH.

I think there are two issues here: (1) innings from the starters, and (2) allocation of innings among the bullpen guys.  

As I just posted elsewhere, the O’s are 8th in the AL in IP/start, and their 5.3 average is exactly league average. In May, the O’s are actually 5th in the AL in IP/start, at 5.6.  So, I can’t really say Hyde is doing anything radical with his starters.  

As to bullpen usage, I think the O’s have been impacted by the fact that they play so few blowout games, drastically fewer than most teams when I checked this recently.  They don’t have many opportunities to just hand one low-leverage guy the ball and go for 2+ innings because the game is out of hand anyway.   

That said, I do agree that Hyde needs to be a bit more willing to let volume relievers soak up some innings.   It would be nice if someone actually did that job well consistently.  Last year, Akin did a great job of that in the first half of the season.  Baumann has shown some flashes of doing it, but he’s been inconsistent.  

Part of the issue I've seen is the second that bulk reliever gets in a little trouble, he gets yanked which requires a series of relievers to now be used. I understand that concern in close games, and the Orioles have played a lot of close games, but I do not like when Hyde consistently is using 4 relievers to finish off a game in which he was once up by five runs. 

Maybe Baumann would be more consistent in a long man role where he gets three days between appearances vs the inconsistent roles he's been put in this year.

Just now, MCO'sFan said:

I think you are correct. It seems like managers are making less and less decisions. This seems like man org thing to me. Cash pretty much admitted it when he got blasted for taking Snell out of the WS. Hyde seems more like a guy following the direction of the GM than a guy managing his own games. 

I agree, but Elias always says in game decisions are Hyde's. 

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

You very well be right since I don't think anyone really knows what decisions Hyde makes and what is dictated to him. Either way, this bullpen usage is going to blow guys out unless they start finding ways to get them more rest. 

Is this years usage any different than last year?  Any real difference from how Tampa has been in recent years?

I mean, we all say “if so and so doesn’t stop throwing so many innings, they will implode”…but is there any truth in that or something we are all just making up because it sounds like it would be true.

I kind of remember posts last year about how we are going to run the pen into the ground and they were a top 10 pen and that is after trading their best reliever for most of the year.

• Upvote 1