Bowden discusses the trade deadline

Sports Guy

4 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

Ortiz replacing Mateo as well. Cowser, Westburg, and Ortiz essentially replacing Mountcastle, Frazier, and Mateo in the lineup would be a clear upgrade, and perhaps a significant upgrade in the aggregate.

I do wonder what that would do for team chemistry to just abruptly jerk 1/3 of the starting line-up out. 

The idea is very, very appealing to me, though!

Edited by Orioles Jim

6 minutes ago, Orioles Jim said:

I do wonder what that would do for team chemistry to just abruptly jerk 1/3 of the starting line-up out. 

The idea is very, very appealing to me, though!

Honestly, it looks like Mountcastle has already started to be platooned. Perhaps he's still not feeling well, but I don't know why they haven't put him on the IL if that's the case.

9 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Honestly, it looks like Mountcastle has already started to be platooned. Perhaps he's still not feeling well, but I don't know why they haven't put him on the IL if that's the case.

JUST got put on the 10-day IL:

Rather underwhelming promotion, though.

I’m not one of those people/posters who believes that Westburg is the second coming of Alomar/Joe Morgan/Alphonso Soriano/Craig Biggio but it seems like the Orioles would rather bring up the team mascot than to call him up.

I imagine the justification for keeping Cowser down is that he’s not healthy (as they appear to be very conservative regarding injuries). And I know Ortiz is just coming back from illness, but they have passed over Westburg multiple times for guys who have no future with the team and have no business being on a contending team’s roster.

I don’t know what is going on, but something has to be up.

I guess if they never called him up then they don’t start his clock for the team they plan on trading him to?

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's not really amazing to me.  They've been selling folks off for a while now.

True, but you figure they might have accidentally caught a relief pitcher having one surprisingly good year, or something. But legitimately nothing.

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I’m not one of those people/posters who believes that Westburg is the second coming of Alomar/Joe Morgan/Alphonso Soriano/Craig Biggio but it seems like the Orioles would rather bring up the team mascot than to call him up.

I imagine the justification for keeping Cowser down is that he’s not healthy (as they appear to be very conservative regarding injuries). And I know Ortiz is just coming back from illness, but they have passed over Westburg multiple times for guys who have no future with the team and have no business being on a contending team’s roster.

I don’t know what is going on, but something has to be up.

I guess if they never called him up then they don’t start his clock for the team they plan on trading him to?

That’s kind of the theory of the Locked On Orioles pod - if they think he’s the one that they’ll trade they don’t want him to come up and potentially struggle.

20 minutes ago, pdiddy said:

That’s kind of the theory of the Locked On Orioles pod - if they think he’s the one that they’ll trade they don’t want him to come up and potentially struggle.

That could be it? Or they don’t want to start his clock for another team?

• Upvote 1

On 6/12/2023 at 3:34 PM, Bemorewins said:

No. There will be no Adley splitting catcher with anyone. He’s in his 2nd year so we don’t need to worry about him trying other positions to extend his career right now. 

Chapman on the other hand would be a good 6/7th inning guy.

There's no such thing as a catcher who catches every game.  That's why the O's should and at some point will look for a James McCann replacement.  Hard to imagine KC trading Salvador Perez though, and he would probably cost more than he's worth.

1 minute ago, EddeeEddee said:

There's no such thing as a catcher who catches every game.  That's why the O's should and at some point will look for a James McCann replacement.  Hard to imagine KC trading Salvador Perez though, and he would probably cost more than he's worth.

Of course Adley doesn’t/won’t catch everyday. But he doesn’t need to split time with someone or be moved to another position in his 2nd season. He’s fine handling the bulk of the catching duties for now.

Baltimore Orioles

A starting pitcher and middle-relief upgrades

The Orioles are a legitimate contender in the AL East and a front-runner for one of the league’s wild-card berths. This team is for real. And yet, the organization has several top prospects knocking on the door of the majors, including outfielders Colton Cowserand Heston Kjerstad. It appears Cowser is major-league-ready, which will allow GM Mike Elias to dangle one of the Orioles’ outfielders, such as Anthony Santander or Austin Hays, in a trade to upgrade their rotation. Teams like the Mariners, Yankees, and Guardiansmatch up well with the O’s in this type of “buyer-to-buyer” swap.

https://theathletic.com/4610839/2023/06/16/mlb-trade-deadline-team-needs-positions-players/?source=user_shared_article

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Baltimore Orioles

A starting pitcher and middle-relief upgrades

The Orioles are a legitimate contender in the AL East and a front-runner for one of the league’s wild-card berths. This team is for real. And yet, the organization has several top prospects knocking on the door of the majors, including outfielders Colton Cowserand Heston Kjerstad. It appears Cowser is major-league-ready, which will allow GM Mike Elias to dangle one of the Orioles’ outfielders, such as Anthony Santander or Austin Hays, in a trade to upgrade their rotation. Teams like the Mariners, Yankees, and Guardiansmatch up well with the O’s in this type of “buyer-to-buyer” swap.

https://theathletic.com/4610839/2023/06/16/mlb-trade-deadline-team-needs-positions-players/?source=user_shared_article

These buyer-to-buyer trades would make sense, but they simply rarely happen just like your prospect for prospect trades.  A few less sellers this year, maybe, but I'm not sure what other factors exist to make GM's deviate from the norm. 

14 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

These buyer-to-buyer trades would make sense, but they simply rarely happen just like your prospect for prospect trades.  A few less sellers this year, maybe, but I'm not sure what other factors exist to make GM's deviate from the norm. 

They rarely happen but they also rarely have a big lack of sellers too, so you may be forced to do it.

Btw, I see this as largely a best case scenario.

I have no interest in trading Santander or Hays right now.  Hays should start everyday in one of the corners.  We can get Santanders bat in lineup between DH / 1B and occasional OF starts.  There is room on this roster to bring up Cowser and start most days in the OF.

I am fine exploring trades for Santander in the offseason.

8 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I have no interest in trading Santander or Hays right now.  Hays should start everyday in one of the corners.  We can get Santanders bat in lineup between DH / 1B and occasional OF starts.  There is room on this roster to bring up Cowser and start most days in the OF.

I am fine exploring trades for Santander in the offseason.

If they just bring up Cowser, the OF defense will improve once Mullins is back.  I would assume Cowser will play LF and Hays will be in RF, relegating Santander to DH/1B.   

• Upvote 1