Tuesday, June 13: Divisional showdown with Blue Jays begins

SteveA

Just now, ArtVanDelay said:

Wilt is a strong contender.  As are Ruth and Gretzky. 

Who would it be for swimming?  Phelps?

Gretzky would be the one (get it) but I excluded him for the crime of being Canadian.

And yes, Phelps.  He has 23 Gold medals over four Olympics.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I remember that game well.

Listened to it on the radio during a nasty thunderstorm, making the radio all staticky and crackly.   And for some reason as a dorky 13 year old I chose that particular game to draw lines on a piece of paper with a ruler and keep score.   That was one ugly scorecard.   It got lost somewhere over the decades, I would love to find it at the bottom of a box somewhere and see it again.

Larry Harlow and Elrod Hendricks both pitched in that game.

Does anyone remember in Toronto when the Blow Jays left their tar wrap close to the field of play and Earl Weaver would not let the O's take the field until the tar wrap was moved further from the field because Earl was afraid of an injury, the Umps and Earl refused to budge, so the game was forfeited 9-0 to the Blow Jays?

12 minutes ago, mrbig1 said:

We don't need Cano or Mountain tonight.

I don't believe in jinx (much...) so you're fine there as far as I'm concerned. I do hope we end up using them in a close, winning game "soon" (at some point this week) to keep them sharp. Long rests for those guys can mess with them and get them off track.

The ideal would be, like, pitching Felix tomorrow in the 9th in a 4-1 O's game.

16 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Today was my first day listening to her on the radio.  I thought all the people complaining were exaggerating….

Nope. 

Melanie Newman didn't know a runner couldn't score from 1B on a ground rule double last year. I think this happened during an Apple TV game when she was still calling games for them.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s
grammar
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Does anyone remember in Toronto when the Blow Jays left their tar wrap close to the field of play and Earl Weaver would not let the O's take the field until the tar wrap was moved further from the field because Earl was afraid of an injury, the Umps and Earl refused to budge, so the game was forfeited 9-0 to the Blow Jays?

This was the game. Orioles were in a race also. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TOR/TOR197709150.shtml

Edited by eddie83