Cubs series

Just Regular

Postgame, Scott Garceau said Cubs had not announced for tomorrow afternoon but ESPN has Kyle Hendricks, and Saturday the TBD one.     Some sources say Hayden Wesneski for Saturday, so I'll run with that.    Irvin and Hendricks both light innings so far this season, so had to drop Active Roster filter to 10 innings to catch every SP in this series, a group of 153 pitchers.    The K-BB ranks of these six guys in all MLB about all fall in the 25th-50th percentile of length pitchers in YTD results.

(100) Irvin v. (114) Hendricks

(112) Gibson v. (97) Wesneski

(75) Kremer v. (95) Taillon

Bats, its Trey Mancini weekend - he hasn't been great, and has been on the bench four straight games against RHP even while Cody Bellinger was doing AAA rehab.      We'll probably see him vs. Irvin tomorrow.

Along with Seiya Suzuki, Bellinger's been one of their best Bats by OPS+, and has been reactivated today.     Patrick Wisdom has kind of a Dave Kingman line - .190 something and a bunch of HR.      Its Year 1 of Dansby.

Because its 2023, they have some reliever with a 38% K rate.

We miss Stroman, who has an 8:00 game tonight, and will probably give the bullpen some rest.     

I will be scouting Bellinger and Boxberger as potential trade targets. Boxberger has an uncharacteristic 5 ERA but if he gets a second wind he is usually dependable. His numbers were better before getting blown up by MIN recently. If Bellinger is finally over the excessive celebration injury he could be a steal.

The Cubs have a league-average offense, but they have not hit righties well (.241/.326/.378/.704).  

The Orioles may get to face 3 consecutive RH starters, which should be their preference now based on the emergence of Henderson/O'Hearn/Hicks/Lester.  Cubs pitchers have also been significantly less effective vs LHB (.749 OPS vs .691 OPS vs RHB).

Hendricks has officially been listed in the game preview...

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/orioles-vs-cubs/2023/06/16/717744/preview

Based on that, we should definitely start Frazier and Hicks based on their career numbers. McCann surprisingly has good career numbers in 9 ABs against Hendricks. O'hearn has nothing in 3 At Bats. 

This might be a Josh Lester game to play 1B. With Irvin on the mound, it would also be paramount to have the best defensive lineup because he's a finesse pitcher. He needs a good defense around him to handle the spotted batted balls he induces.

5 hours ago, Malike said:

I can't remember what year it was, and it's likely I'm misremembering it all, but I believe we got swept out of a 3 game series against the Cubs that started an awful losing streak for the O's back when Arietta pitched for them.

2014 - Arrieta beat Gausman in the first game of a Cubs 3-game sweep.  But fortunately it was just a blip - the O’s went home and won 9 of 11.

• Thanks 1

Fortunately I’ll be there for Saturday and Sunday game. I wonder if they send down Ortiz today and bring up Vavra against 3 RHP. Hoping they start Mateo only one game this weekend. I would be fine with Ortiz, Gunnar and Mateo getting one game at short as well.

44 minutes ago, Oriolepwr said:

I'll be there for this game too!    Of course I'm at Wrigley every game since I work as a vendor there.   I'll be in Cub gear but am a die hard O's fan for the last 50 years or so.   

Traitor.

😉

• Haha 2