Orioles calling up Westburg.

Brian88

28 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

He'll probably get to Bowie after the futures game which may be enough time to get him his magical 200 ABs at AA. He will probably be here (in Baltimore) sometime around this time next year.

That's why to me it makes sense for the O's to decide between Ortiz and Westburg because there is only one place between the 2 of them in the future/long term infield. In stead of using one as a temporary starter/bridge to Holliday, IMO we would be better in using that one in a trade package for a front of the rotation starter.

If I was the GM of the Orioles (see screen name) and looking at what we have currently plus future decisions, I would have Ortiz up playing SS. You have multiple scenarios that can play out:

1. Both Ortiz and Westburg play well. At that point, you have a great young trade chip once Holliday graduates.

2. One plays much better than the other. Once Holliday graduates you have your 2nd baseman.

3. Both play terrible. You still have Urias, Mateo and Frazier insurance for this year, and Urias/Norby moving forward.

I don’t see the downside to this.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

If I was the GM of the Orioles (see screen name) and looking at what we have currently plus future decisions, I would have Ortiz up playing SS. You have multiple scenarios that can play out:

1. Both Ortiz and Westburg play well. At that point, you have a great young trade chip once Holliday graduates.

2. One plays much better than the other. Once Holliday graduates you have your 2nd baseman.

3. Both play terrible. You still have Urias, Mateo and Frazier insurance for this year, and Urias/Norby moving forward.

I don’t see the downside to this.

If you have Westburg and Ortiz on the roster, you are going to have to get rid of one of Urias, Mateo, and Frazier. They aren't ready to do that yet but they appear to be getting closer. I do think Ortiz could be an everyday SS by the end of the year or perhaps opening day '24. I think he just needs to get closer to Westburg's 1,000 AB's in AAA before Elias pulls the plug on his veterans and commits to Ortiz. 

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Grab the pitchforks if they send him back down after the Reds series. 

And if they bench him vs RHP! No K's, hitting the ball hard every time, and making some plays. I'm ready to move on from the Adam Frazier experiment. And so much for the rookies always struggle theory.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

If you have Westburg and Ortiz on the roster, you are going to have to get rid of one of Urias, Mateo, and Frazier. They aren't ready to do that yet but they appear to be getting closer. I do think Ortiz could be an everyday SS by the end of the year or perhaps opening day '24. I think he just needs to get closer to Westburg's 1,000 AB's in AAA before Elias pulls the plug on his veterans and commits to Ortiz. 

With the supremely more talented Jackson Holliday waiting in the wings why reserve a spot for Ortiz to be opening day starter next season? He probably wouldn’t even get a half season as starter before he is displaced. 

8 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

With the supremely more talented Jackson Holliday waiting in the wings why reserve a spot for Ortiz to be opening day starter next season? He probably wouldn’t even get a half season as starter before he is displaced. 

Because he could be better than Mateo and would allow Gunnar to settle at 3B.

The other day I said:

"Aaron Hicks won't you please pop up."

Someone said I must be kidding.  Gee, I don't think so.  

In the spring of '65 the Cards were loaded, and they had minor leaguer named Ed Spiezio tearing up spring baseball, and they had no place to put him.  Sports Illustrated had a cover story with the headline "Ed Spiezio won't you please pop up" which I thought you'd all remember.  

We have the same embarrassment of riches.  

19 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I think he’s better than Mateo offensively just with Westburg’s more competitive ABS, but defense at SS matters for us a lot. Westburg’s playing time hinges on himself, and if Gunnar can play SS regularly. 

With Mateo out and Westburg in, there really isn’t an easy out in the lineup. Even our bottom of the lineup at least works the  count and has consistently competitive ABs. 

44 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

And if they bench him vs RHP! No K's, hitting the ball hard every time, and making some plays. I'm ready to move on from the Adam Frazier experiment. And so much for the rookies always struggle theory.

I don’t think two games determines whether Westburg will struggle.  But, it’s a good start.  

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Grab the pitchforks if they send him back down after the Reds series. 

I know that the Orioles do some unconventional things at time that make many (including myself) scratch our heads, but I can't see them hyping up his promotion like they did, him doing very well in first first two showings, and then sending him back to the minors.

One of the indications that he is here to stay to me was in last night's 7th inning when they pinch hit for just about all of the righties in that inning except for him and Austin Hays. If that was Ortiz, they would have pinch hit for him in a heartbeat. But the let him bat and he drew a walk.

It may be maddeningly frustrating at times, but I think Elias is doing the right things with staggering the promotions. Next up this Summer will be Cowser who has rightfully earned and deserves his own call-up just like Westburg did. As soon as Hicks cools off, Cowser will come up and the Ryan McKenna experience will mercifully come to an end. 😁

25 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

For a half of a season?? It looks like Gunnar can play SS and 3B. Just like it appears that Westburg will play 2B and 3B. Gone are the days where infielders even the supremely talented ones are tethered to a single position.